Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2015, 16:38   #1

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Mexico Charts for IPAD

Looking for experance in what electronic charts for mexico have been used with sucess on your ipad.
Please, only those that have been used.

Reason being, I'm seeing a multi amount of avalable chart packages with prices attached. I dont mind paying for something, but would like something for my money.
I've been using inavx and it seems to work well but cant find any Mexico charts.
Old 18-04-2015, 19:15   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Mexico Charts for IPAD

Have you looked at these? Blue Latitude Press - The most up-to-date and accurate Mexico Cruising Guides!

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 21:27   #3

Boat: Formosa 51 Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to rcmpegasus

For iNavx the Navonics 3XG Caribbean & Ct & S America covers pacific side really well, never looked at Eastern coast.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 19-04-2015, 21:29   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Those are the best....
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 19:30   #5

Boat: J80 & I-14

I've used the Navionics app down through Baja with no issues -- can't comment on the rest of the country but from the website, it looks like the coverage is there (Boating iPad (US) | Navionics)

You can download the free app to see the coverage and tools, and then if you like it, you can upgrade and get the SonarCharts and a few other features.
jtulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 05:52   #6

Coverage in many parts of the world is rarely the problem. The problem for places like Baja Mexico, San Blas, etc is accuracy, not coverage.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 19-09-2015, 18:48   #7
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaOnR3 View Post
Looking for experance in what electronic charts for mexico have been used with sucess on your ipad.
Please, only those that have been used.

Reason being, I'm seeing a multi amount of avalable chart packages with prices attached. I dont mind paying for something, but would like something for my money.
I've been using inavx and it seems to work well but cant find any Mexico charts.
I have electronic charts from Mexico to Rio Dulce...
Suroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 18:03   #8

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmpegasus View Post
For iNavx the Navonics 3XG Caribbean & Ct & S America covers pacific side really well, never looked at Eastern coast.
I haven't been on the east coast of MX either with Navionics charts on iNavx but worked fine on the iPad coming up the west coast to San Diego.
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 18:12   #9

Boat: Coast 34

I use Navionics for Pacific Mexico and the Baja which is good but occasionally inaccurate, but I also use the Garmin chart app as a backup and a source for Active Captain. Sometimes Navionics is more accurate, sometimes Garmin. Blue Latitude's "Shawn and Heather" books (although not electronic) are the current cruising books that everyone talks about. I used them a lot last year and they really are wonderful. They have electronic waypoints available but I have not purchased them, choosing instead to enter them in my chartplotter as needed.
Annie in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 19:26   #10

Boat: Boatless at this time (is this a word?)

Mona, I have used Inavx with the Navionics Charts for a few years for Mexico. These are the same charts that others are mentioning. Just go to your x-Traverse account that you used when you uploaded your Inavx and see the available charts you can buy. https://www.x-traverse.com/upgrade This one looks like its $59, able to be put onto two Ipads if you want, and updates received for free (which you dont get with paper maps). It includes everything on the highlighted map.

Also, some have mentioned in this thread Blue Latitude Charts. I dont have these, but they are available for the Sea of Cortez and Pacific Ocean for Mexico.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Navionics Bahamas Carib central and south amerca.png
Views:	227
Size:	362.0 KB
ID:	109861  
Swammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 07:05   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie in WA View Post
Blue Latitude's "Shawn and Heather" books (although not electronic) are the current cruising books that everyone talks about. I used them a lot last year and they really are wonderful. They have electronic waypoints available but I have not purchased them, choosing instead to enter them in my chartplotter as needed.
The electronic charts sold by Blue Latitude Press are from the "Shawn and Heather" books.

Mark

Old 25-09-2015, 08:06   #12

Boat: Boatless at this time (is this a word?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
The electronic charts sold by Blue Latitude Press are from the "Shawn and Heather" books.

Mark

And from the website of Blue Latitude Press Blue Latitude Press - The most up-to-date and accurate Mexico Cruising Guides!

They state that the Blue Latitude charts are available on X-Traverse for INavx

From their site:
"How to buy
Blue Latitude Press Electronic Mexico Charts for the Sea of Cortez and Pacific Mainland Mexico are available from:

X-Traverse (for use with compatible software including iNavX (iOS), Fugawi Marine 5 (Windows), GPSNavX, MacENC (Mac), PathAway 5 GPS (Android), Geonav MapMaster (Windows).

Sea of Cortez

Pacific Mainland Mexico
Swammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 08:17   #13

I'm not sure what you are getting at. The X-Traverse electronic charts sold by Blue Latitude Press are made by "Shawn and Heather" from the charts in their books.

Mark

Old 30-09-2015, 10:11   #14

Boat: Coast 34

I'm not quite sure how it works, but I think you might have to pay for X-Traverse or one of the compatible software programs before you can get Shawn and Heather's electronic charts. That stopped me from getting them. Instead, I enter them manually into my chartplotter. YMMV.
Annie in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 15:42   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie in WA View Post
I'm not quite sure how it works, but I think you might have to pay for X-Traverse or one of the compatible software programs before you can get Shawn and Heather's electronic charts. That stopped me from getting them. Instead, I enter them manually into my chartplotter. YMMV.
How do you enter the charts manually into your chart plotter if you haven't bought the charts?

X-Traverse is an on-line store, not a software program. It sells electronic charts that can be used in many different charting applications on both computers and phones/tablets. Many of those applications are free, and others cost very little - $20-40.

For all chart plotters that I'm aware of, only those charts sold for those specific chart plotters can be used. I don't know any that take Shawn and Heather's charts, so am curious how you are using them on yours.

Mark

Tags
charts, Ipad, Mexico