Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2011, 22:19   #1

Boat: Nordlund 61'
Mexico Charts

I am planing an extended trip to Mexico and have purchased all the Maptech charts and my boat has an old chartbook for Mexcio. I am still looking for greater detail and larger scale charts especially for the Sea of Cortez. For most of the Sea of Cortez I only have a 1:600,000 scale and that just isn't enough detail. I have searched online and haven't been able to find any greater detail. Can anyone point me in the right direction???

Thank you all for the advice on Charliies Charts and Rains cruising guides as well. They are great and very helpful for planning.
quiet storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 10:40   #2

Re: Mexico Charts

Following hints:
1. Check the Mexican Hydrographic Office website.
2. Check the UKHO website.
3. Ask your nearest book store for appropriate chart catalogues.
4. Never ever give up .....
Old 23-04-2011, 11:03   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41

I would contact Club Cruceros in La Paz for the latest information. Club Cruceros de La Paz Home Page

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 11:04   #4

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet storm View Post
... I am still looking for greater detail and larger scale charts especially for the Sea of Cortez. For most of the Sea of Cortez I only have a 1:600,000 scale and that just isn't enough detail. I have searched online and haven't been able to find any greater detail...

Thank you all for the advice on Charliies Charts and Rains cruising guides as well. They are great and very helpful for planning.
You have just hit the limit on charts available in Mexico. Handy in the Sea of Cortez are guide books - particularly Cunningham's Lower, Central, and Upper Sea books and Sea of Cortez: A Cruiser's Guidebook (Sean Breeding), both with aerial photographs, GPS waypoints, and larger scale chartlets. The 1:600K will get up and down and across the Sea fine, the guidebooks will get you to anchorages...

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 15:24   #5

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by svcambria View Post
You have just hit the limit on charts available in Mexico. Handy in the Sea of Cortez are guide books - particularly Cunningham's Lower, Central, and Upper Sea books and Sea of Cortez: A Cruiser's Guidebook (Sean Breeding), both with aerial photographs, GPS waypoints, and larger scale chartlets. The 1:600K will get up and down and across the Sea fine, the guidebooks will get you to anchorages...

Michael
Not true Gerry also produced paper charts of the sea of Cortez. They are not as easy to get as they used to be since the demise of Mr. Gerry but if one looks you can still find them.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 16:13   #6

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Not true Gerry also produced paper charts of the sea of Cortez. They are not as easy to get as they used to be since the demise of Mr. Gerry but if one looks you can still find them.
Yes, Gerry published what he called plotting sheets, much larger scale than the existing charts; one of Bahia Concepcion was really helpful for avoiding all the shoals and reefs. They were available separately as I recall...

They do seem to be getting scarce:

sea cortez - iboats.com

Thought his grand daughter was continuing the publishing...

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts, Mexico