Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 08-06-2010, 21:01   #16

Boat: Ta Chiao CT34 - 34' - The Brass Monkey
MaxSea TZ - NMEA 2000?

I've seen the demos of the MSTZ product and it looks perfect for my needs. However, I currently only have a NMEA 2000 output to the system - will the product accept this protocol as an input?

Old 09-06-2010, 04:35   #17
cruiser

For NMEA 2000 connectivity, you'll need something that can interface to the hardware (there's no NMEA 2000 port on any PC) as well as convert the NMEA streaming data to something that software can understand. Actisense makes a gateway product that does this:
http://www.actisense.com/HTML/Produc...ay_1/index.php

Old 09-06-2010, 16:44   #18
Is that your kraken?

Cruisers Forum Supporter

What I would like to see in routing/nav software (and I'm sure something out there has it, I just don't know what) is integrating tide/current information with a proposed course, and the integrating wx forecasts for winds as well.

So if I set up a course from "here to there" the software should be able to tell me, "that's a thirty hour run, but at this specific starting time, it will be xx hours because of currents, and here's your hourly position as shifted by them. Oh, and since the wind is going to veer 50 degrees tonight, you really want to go that way instead of this way."

For icing on the cake, it should integrate polars and wave conditions as well.<G>

That's using computer power, instead of just digitizing my compass and plotter!

Anyone know if there's software to do that, which mere humans can afford? Or what software is smartest in terms or routing abilities like that?
Old 09-06-2010, 18:51   #19

Boat: Beneteau First 40.7
Hellosailor,

It sounds like what you want is Expedition (Expedition) or Maxsea with the routing module. I'm not sure about tides, but they will definitely tell you the rest. Both require a polar plot for your boat, and with course and weather (grib) input they will determine your best route. Expedition is around $1000. Not sure about Maxsea + routing. I can tell you that Expedition is really good and really well thought of.

Note that this is often of limited utility for coastal routing, since the smallest granularity of gribs is .5 degrees. These programs are most useful on a long passages.
Old 09-06-2010, 19:11   #20

Boat: Atlantic 42 Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjorgensen View Post
Hellosailor,

It sounds like what you want is Expedition (Expedition) or Maxsea with the routing module. I'm not sure about tides, but they will definitely tell you the rest. Both require a polar plot for your boat, and with course and weather (grib) input they will determine your best route. Expedition is around $1000. Not sure about Maxsea + routing. I can tell you that Expedition is really good and really well thought of.

Note that this is often of limited utility for coastal routing, since the smallest granularity of gribs is .5 degrees. These programs are most useful on a long passages.

I used the free trial version (hey you might as well try it) of Expedition a little on my last trip and found the interface confusing and cluttered even v MaxSea and that is saying something. It does have some nice features like exclusion zones that would might well be helpful in coastal routing but it is dear and will take some learning.

In many coastal areas higher resolution GRIBs are available. Around North America COAMPS and NAM are available (the former can be parsed by saildocs). I believe there is public mesoscale data for Europe and there are several private providers.

Tom
Old 09-06-2010, 20:25   #21
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmwebb View Post
...and found the interface confusing and cluttered even v MaxSea and that is saying something.
If you're implying that the interface of MaxSea is confusing, you're most certainly not using the Time Zero software that is being talked about here. There was confusion about that previously in this thread as well. MaxSea Time Zero is a totally different product from the previous MaxSea product. It has a completely new user-interface that is quite simple and well thought out.

For routing, there was an excellent discussion of this on the blog altendorff.co.uk as well as some other postings that are worth investigating.

This is an blog entry about polars in MaxSea Time Zero:
http://www.altendorff.co.uk/archives/1226

Then this is a multi-part series all about routing with comparisons of the various products that have it:
http://www.altendorff.co.uk/archives/1020

You'll find after some 9 articles that MaxSea Time Zero comes out on top. It's a wonderful series of articles and well worth the time to read.

This new routing module in the new MaxSea Time Zero has been also re-written and seems to work quite well - better than most commercial products that are out there.
Old 10-06-2010, 20:42   #22

If one needs to obtain additional charts for MaxSea TZ, does anyone know if they are proprietary or can you get them from other sources? ie. If you buy MaxSea TZ are you tied to them for sourcing charts? Also, does anyone know what they charge for the add on routing module? There's no pricing for it on their website (pretty confusing website I must say).
Regards Claverton
Old 10-06-2010, 22:16   #23

Boat: Beneteau First 40.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmwebb View Post
In many coastal areas higher resolution GRIBs are available. Around North America COAMPS and NAM are available (the former can be parsed by saildocs). I believe there is public mesoscale data for Europe and there are several private providers.

Tom
Interesting.... I know the COAMPS model well but had used various on-line viewers for it. I didn't realize it was available as a GRIB. The only GRIBs I've ever done are from saildocs, which max out at .5 degree resolution. I'll give it a try.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:25   #24
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claverton View Post
If one needs to obtain additional charts for MaxSea TZ, does anyone know if they are proprietary or can you get them from other sources?
MaxSea Time Zero only opens MapMedia chart files, the same ones used by Furuno chartplotters, radars, etc. They source their charts from governments, C-Map, and Navionics, and combine them into regions combining all of the charts together. There are often multiple regions for the same geographic areas allowing you to select the original map source provider but the delivery file format is MapMedia. Note that all US raster, vector, 3D, and satellite imagery is included with the US version of MSTZ.

There are advantages and disadvantages to doing this. Given the Furuno connection, it's quite safe in my opinion - I use MSTZ myself. Once you see the performance of how the chart handling works, you'll understand completely the advantages of MapMedia. It's unlike anything you've ever seen on any device.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:47   #25

Thanks Jeffrey. I imagine the disadvantage you hint at is the extortionately high cost of these charts compared to regular Navionics charts?

There's no pricing on their website for costs of charts, or for that matter any info/costs of add-on modules such as routing and AIS (well there might be, but I've searched high and low and can't find any reference).

Exploring the purchase of the product on MaxSea website was a frustrating and time consuming experience, especially for someone living in the antipodes. Talk about grease the sale, beam me up please Scotty. On the one hand there's an ecommerce ordering facility of some sort, but after no end of digging around I find out there's also distributors for the product in Australia (which is not mentioned anywhere on their website). I'll need to ring up the distributors here next week to find out what the product costs here (which might be interesting given the two sets of local hands requiring their cut; and the last set of hands will be some guy in a yacht's bilge dropping his tools to answer his mobile; I'm thinking retail plus plus plus). Coming from the IT industry, it looks like a very old fashioned model for software distribution, no doubt driven by the Furuno hardware link. Now that's off my chest...

As you know Russ Altendorff wrote an excellent review of charting/routing products, and he rates MaxSea TZ very highly (if you accidentally put SeaMax into youtube like I did you get a very tasty looking small seaplane made in brazil) which is what alerted my attention to it. Am I correct in assuming that the routing capabilities Russ described require purchase of the Routing add-on module?

I suspect also there is an AIS add-on module required to get AIS info up on the chart. Correctomondo?

Kind Regards Claverton
Old 11-06-2010, 08:10   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Outbound 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claverton View Post
Thanks Jeffrey. I imagine the disadvantage you hint at is the extortionately high cost of these charts compared to regular Navionics charts?

There's no pricing on their website for costs of charts, or for that matter any info/costs of add-on modules such as routing and AIS (well there might be, but I've searched high and low and can't find any reference).

Exploring the purchase of the product on MaxSea website was a frustrating and time consuming experience, especially for someone living in the antipodes. Talk about grease the sale, beam me up please Scotty. On the one hand there's an ecommerce ordering facility of some sort, but after no end of digging around I find out there's also distributors for the product in Australia (which is not mentioned anywhere on their website)....
How about using a US web seller, like Discount Marine and Boat Supplies - Inflatable Sales - Defender Decent price on MaxSeaTZ and charts. Charts are all downloaded, so no shipping involved for them.

Paul L
Old 11-06-2010, 08:52   #27

Thanks Paul, just what I'm looking for. I'll go through the exercise with the local boys to see what happens. Looking at the list of ozzie (nsw) distributors every one of them looks like they have workshops geared up for installing furuno hardware which is no use to me.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:29   #28
cruiser

The "disadvantage" of the MapMedia charts isn't the price. I think their prices are the same, if not lower than buying charts from other providers. The disadvantage is being tied to a single place for the charts. There are some people who prefer the BSB or S-57 charts so they can source them from multiple places (including some governments). The problem with that is you get a single chart at a time and you have to make sure you load them all, etc. It can be messy. There's no perfect solution today. I don't think the single provider is that much of a problem because of the Furuno connection.

There are lots of discount places to purchase MaxSea although getting an Australia package will be difficult from a US provider like Defender. We're a reseller of MaxSea as well. You should search google for "MaxSea Time Zero" and see what comes up. Defender is not the lowest price.

Yes, you're correct about the routing option. It's one of the few options for MaxSea Time Zero and costs about $200 (street price). Everything else imaginable comes with MSTZ.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:52   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Outbound 44
Jeff,
Do you guys sell Mapmedia charts too?

Paul L
Old 11-06-2010, 11:00   #30
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Do you guys sell Mapmedia charts too?
This is getting a little too close to the line of what I should be talking about on this forum - I'm sorry but I have to respect the rules set up for the site.

Tags
maxsea

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: