Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2017, 17:57   #16

Re: Maxsea Time Zero and Oracle VirtualBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Now you mention is, I remember there was some kind of SQL incompatibility when I was moving MX TZ from an earlier XPS system to one of our more current Win 7 platforms. MaxSea/France sent me (told me?) the fix, with decent instructions, EZ.

-Chris
Hi,

I'm having trouble installing TZ 2.1.2 on my win 10 machine. I'm currently at sea without a phone and limited internet access and will be for the next few months ... would there be any way that you could please post or PM me "the fix, with decent instructions" - as you mentioned in your post ?

I have emailed Maxsea on a few occasions but have not received a reply ... I really need to get this working.

Thanks
costellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 04:50   #17

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Happy to try to help, but I suspect our issue were unique enough so the fixes may not apply to your situation.

That said... recreated from notes... the first problem was during an upgrade to the original installation, v1.9.something (to v1.9.6, maybe) was in June 2011 or so. The upgrade on a WinXPS box did not run to completion with the message "TimeZero has encountered a problem with SQL server. Please contact the Technical Support." I did, and they sent a link to a diagnostic kit, (Debug kit 1.9.zip) and running that created a feedback file (rapport.txt) that I cold send them for examination. Subsequent guidance was to delete to SQL server files, delete MX, reboot, reinstall MX... and that eventually worked, with some edits to the Registry. (Don't have any notes on that.)

The next time (6/13-ish), I was trying to upgrade to V2 on two machines, one a WinXPS box and the other a Win7Pro laptop. The XPS box had already been taken out of service, disconnected from the 'net... so what I thought was the first problem was about how to uninstall the MX 1.9.6 version to enable MX to supply the uninstallation (RE) code necessary for activating that license on a subsequent machine. That problem turned out to be trivial; the uninstallation process worked offline, MX generated the RE code, the RE code worked on the subsequent V2 installation, all good.

The second problem was about installing MX 1.9.8 on the Win7Ult replacement box. My thinking had been that I needed to be upgrading to v2 from the latest previous version. The 1.9.8 installation failed with the message "Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express RTM (x86 & x86wow) has failed." When I asked MX France about that, they told me I didn't need to do the intermediate upgrade to v1.9.8 in order to upgrade to v2; I should go directly to v2.

OK. Dowload/install of v2.0.2 worked "fine," on both the new Win7Ult and on the Win7Pro laptop. I say "fine" because I did get an error message on the Win7Ult box -- "SQL Server 2008 R2 apparently failed" -- but TZ then asked if I wanted to continue installation (Y) and when installation complete, TZ worked through the rest of the upgrade process (connection to the website, payment, etc., licensing codes, etc.). I did ask MX support about whether I ndded to worry about the SQL error message, and they said no.

All that was with what I thought was very good help from support@maxsea.fr and mostly understandable depending on which tech was answering at the time. The the first instance (6/20-7/1/11) and the second instance (6/18 through 6/25/13) were each a few days' process, though, and partly due to time zone differences.

Note my latest installation is v2.0.2, not v2.1.2. I have not tried to unload one of our licenses from one of the Win7 machines to install it on our Win10 tablet/laptop.

-Chris
Old 30-09-2017, 13:13   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Happy to try to help, but I suspect our issue were unique enough so the fixes may not apply to your situation.

That said... recreated from notes... the first problem was during an upgrade to the original installation, v1.9.something (to v1.9.6, maybe) was in June 2011 or so. The upgrade on a WinXPS box did not run to completion with the message "TimeZero has encountered a problem with SQL server. Please contact the Technical Support." I did, and they sent a link to a diagnostic kit, (Debug kit 1.9.zip) and running that created a feedback file (rapport.txt) that I cold send them for examination. Subsequent guidance was to delete to SQL server files, delete MX, reboot, reinstall MX... and that eventually worked, with some edits to the Registry. (Don't have any notes on that.)

The next time (6/13-ish), I was trying to upgrade to V2 on two machines, one a WinXPS box and the other a Win7Pro laptop. The XPS box had already been taken out of service, disconnected from the 'net... so what I thought was the first problem was about how to uninstall the MX 1.9.6 version to enable MX to supply the uninstallation (RE) code necessary for activating that license on a subsequent machine. That problem turned out to be trivial; the uninstallation process worked offline, MX generated the RE code, the RE code worked on the subsequent V2 installation, all good.

The second problem was about installing MX 1.9.8 on the Win7Ult replacement box. My thinking had been that I needed to be upgrading to v2 from the latest previous version. The 1.9.8 installation failed with the message "Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express RTM (x86 & x86wow) has failed." When I asked MX France about that, they told me I didn't need to do the intermediate upgrade to v1.9.8 in order to upgrade to v2; I should go directly to v2.

OK. Dowload/install of v2.0.2 worked "fine," on both the new Win7Ult and on the Win7Pro laptop. I say "fine" because I did get an error message on the Win7Ult box -- "SQL Server 2008 R2 apparently failed" -- but TZ then asked if I wanted to continue installation (Y) and when installation complete, TZ worked through the rest of the upgrade process (connection to the website, payment, etc., licensing codes, etc.). I did ask MX support about whether I ndded to worry about the SQL error message, and they said no.

All that was with what I thought was very good help from support@maxsea.fr and mostly understandable depending on which tech was answering at the time. The the first instance (6/20-7/1/11) and the second instance (6/18 through 6/25/13) were each a few days' process, though, and partly due to time zone differences.

Note my latest installation is v2.0.2, not v2.1.2. I have not tried to unload one of our licenses from one of the Win7 machines to install it on our Win10 tablet/laptop.

-Chris
Chris,

Thanks ever so much for your time and patience in putting together such a detailed and comprehensive reply. It does seem that your issues were quite unique and quite different to my own.

My problem is that my installation seems to run fine, my win 10 computer reboots to finalise installation and on reboot there is no sign of the actual TZ program anywhere on the computer - only the SQL server. When I try to reinstall, it simply reinstalls sql server on another drive, reboots and there's still no sign of the TZ installation (Not even in the Temp folder and nothing whatsoever in program files, program data etc ...).

Thanks again for your time and effort and if anyone else out there may have a possible solution for me please feel free to get in touch.

Much obliged Chris !

Nick
costellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:23   #19

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by costellon View Post
My problem is that my installation seems to run fine, my win 10 computer reboots to finalise installation and on reboot there is no sign of the actual TZ program anywhere on the computer - only the SQL server. When I try to reinstall, it simply reinstalls sql server on another drive, reboots and there's still no sign of the TZ installation (Not even in the Temp folder and nothing whatsoever in program files, program data etc ...).

Seems to me I installed something on Win10 and then couldn't find it... can't remember details... but I seem to think it turned into being an "app" (icon only) instead of a find-able executable and pathname in the file system. Something like that.

??

Anyway, now that you've described your symptom, maybe someone else with TZ on a Win10 box will chime in... or given this thread title, here, you might also think about starting a new thread with TZ and Win10 in the title to better get someone's attention...

-Chris

Tags
maxsea