Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2010, 07:09   #16

Boat: sadler 32
Send a message via MSN to basile Send a message via Skype™ to basile
OFF TOPIC Nick !!!!!!!

by the way, the mini power spec of your mini is ...
IN STANDBY ... very usefull indeed ...

other by the way, I am not using any virtual machine, nothing slows down on the contrary my maxsea is working faster under win 7 64bit now

at last, mayby you really should go mac-brain-washing elsewhere
in this discussion NOTHING was said against mac (and once again thats off topic here) untill you caming moaning about it

you want to sell MAC ?
go on another thread or site
the discussion youkeep trying to persist, apart from being completely useless, has nothing to do here

greetz

bas
basile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 20:49   #17
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Bas,

you have 10 posts here, I have many more so just read some of my other posts and you will find that I am here to help others, not to sell anything. I am retired.

Also, you shouldn't get yourself worked up so much, it's not good for you, ask a doctor. You're not the OP of this thread either, if he thinks I am off topic, he will let me know and until then I don't think he needs you to police his thread. I'm also not very charmed with you yelling at me... stop that.

I think my posts are on topic because most cruisers asking about running MaxSea under Win7 ask this because they can't find a new laptop that they want which supports Windows XP. Most offerings force you to Win7. My posts are in this thread to tell readers that Mac's can run XP so that they have another option besides the Atom based netbooks.

I keep reacting to your posts because I don't want incorrect information in it without someone writing that it is incorrect. Many cruisers use this forum's search function to find solutions for their problems.

So, on your eeePC you run win7 in 64 bit and MaxSea runs faster on that than it does under plain XP? That is impossible Bas because Win7 has more CPU utilization in system/kernel routines than Windows XP. This means that the best you can get is equal performance but only when your CPU never hits 100% utilization... something I don't believe for the poor Atom CPU that needs to run all that.

Oh yes, about energy consumption: the 14W is during idle which really is quite different from standby. Idle is when you are looking at what's on the screen, standby is when the system is in sleep mode.

As we're the only ones left in this thread, I'll give it to you ;-)

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 02:40   #18

keep on the brainwashing job Nick
as you are the person absolutely in need for having the last word (no wonder how you get at 1700+ posts ...) I'll gladly give it to you
Mac is faaaantastic and our only saviour, haleluyah !

Can we finally go ON TOPIC again now, please ?

Good boy !

Greetz

Bas
Old 17-03-2010, 12:56   #19

Boat: Hartley Southseas 38 Ketch
Thanks for the info sv jedi

Just read through this thread and felt compelled to reply.

Im not a mac person, never had one, probably never get one either... BUT I have found this thread very interesting and learnt a great deal that could come in handy sometime. It has been on topic, I now know that maxsea can be made to run on an alternative machine.

I have been looking at window 7 netbooks but will be more cautious.

Thanks again.
tradewindbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2010, 06:40   #20

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
Well I enjoyed that.

Well thanks to all the above contributors.
Maybe or not exactly a direct response to the initial query but very helpful nevertheless. It is often in the sort of dialogue above that new perspectives emerge. Thanks to SV Jedi for original contributions and to Basile for critical response. This has been very helpful to me in weighing up my moves into computer navigation. Keep up the critical thinking guys - the crumbs that fall from your table are very worthwhile.
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2010, 05:14   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

tradewindbug & stillbuilding: thanks for your comments! I have been using my new Mac's with Windows XP for a month now and they work flawlessly. I changed back to a dual-boot configuration using a free boot-loader utility that comes up with Mac & XP icons so that I can select the OS to boot from.

I also installed Parallels for Mac which enables virtual machines for many different OS's. With this, I created a XP virtual machine and this works fine, but slower than running XP natively. It is just fine for programs like Airmail but I didn't even try MaxSea.

I also revived some miniITX and picoITX computers (very small/low power with VIA CPU) and installed XP & MaxSea on those. While much slower, for MaxSea v10 running under XP they are still just fine. I bought these at Logic Supply - Leaders in Mini-ITX & Small Form Factor Solutions

I also spent some time working with MacOS. I like it better for some programs and I like Windows better for some programs, so whatever one chooses it's always a compromise. A lot of standard programs are better than under Windows, like Email, address book, agenda, iTunes etc. I also like Lightroom and PhotoShop better with MacOS (Adobe is clearly pro Mac). PDF files are integrated in MacOS so you need no viewers and programs just allow you to save as PDF without additional utilities. Backup & restore is also better. Under XP I have to install additional software for just watching a DVD while that just works out of the box for MacOS.

What I like better under Windows is Firefox, Chrome, Spider Solitaire. I don't really like the Mac Safari browser but may be I didn't gave it a fair chance. Firefox under MacOS is better than running it in Windows emulation with Parallels so the difference isn't big. It's that history where the Mac didn't have/use a right mouse button... now they do, but support is lacking in places.

There is navigation software for MacOS and while it is just fine, a product like MaxSea or Nobeltec under Windows is much better.

So, after a lot of thinking, I came to these conclusions: If you have just one computer aboard, you are probably best off with a laptop running Windows XP. You can find a laptop that supports XP if you look hard enough, or choose a netbook (easy to find with XP) or you can buy a MacBook if you have a usable XP installation disk/license (which you can still buy in some places). I must admit that while I have an original XP CD/license, I got so sick with the activations during the testing that I use a copy that doesn't require all that. My thoughts are that this is okay as long as you can show a good license. (I do the same with MaxSea because I hate the dongle, which now lives with the original CD safely stored away ;-)

If you go for two computers, options are abundant. If you keep a laptop with XP for navigation and want a 2nd computer for entertainment/office work plus back-up for navigation, I like my current setup a lot. It is a MacMini with dual boot for Windows XP & MacOS Snow Leopard. I have a big Dell LCD screen (24") that can be swiveled for use as "TV" in the salon or regular screen at the nav station (we have no TV and use this for DVD's / movies only). For audio we use Logitec Squeezeboxes and the server-program for that works better on Mac (Mac is Unix based and so is that software). We don't use iTunes.
The audio output from the Mini is very clean (better than the mini-ITX and PicoITX computers or regular laptops) but far less quality than the Squeezebox systems. I use a 12V powered car amplifier only, no head unit; the only radio we have is Internet radio on the Squeezebox).
As we use this PC for Email too, I installed Parallels with XP virtual machine so I can use Airmail (we use SSB/Pactor Email). I installed MaxSea on the windows partition for back-up but also use it for planning. I prefer to reboot to Windows instead of using Mac software for navigation.

I know cruisers who are perfectly happy with just MacOS aboard but that is because they prefer navigation software without advanced features... or they don't know better. I didn't find any Mac navigation program that beats MaxSea v10 and MaxSea TimeZero is a big step forward from that so Windows is the best platform for navigation imo.

The biggest computer problems I see around me are caused by limited computer knowledge with many cruisers and the lack of good back-up utilities that come with Windows, resulting in slow & crashing Windows installations. A product like Acronis True Image combined with the skill to use that would prevent 99% of that trouble plus it can even free you from using all those anti-virus programs that slow you down so much.

cheers,
Nick.
Old 21-03-2010, 07:05   #22

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
I tried MaxSea Time zero on a Windows 7 64 machine. It would not run but would in Windows XP pro mode.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2010, 08:32   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by speciald@ocens. View Post
I tried MaxSea Time zero on a Windows 7 64 machine. It would not run but would in Windows XP pro mode.
Do you mean within the XP virtual machine (does it boot XP within Windows 7?) or in some sort of compatibility mode? It'll probably run under Windows 7 in 32-bit mode.

ciao!
Nick.
Old 15-08-2010, 19:19   #24

Boat: Ex Salina 48, now Lagoon 380
Send a message via Skype™ to spiv
Win7 and Virtual machine

I just trieds to install MaxSea v12.1.1 on a Win7 Pro machine.
It installed, but when starting it I got this error: "network: network driver appears to not be serving this directory". Googled around all day and did not solve the issue.

Installed the XP Virtual machine (quite a pain).
Tried to install from Xp Virtual machine, but got error "1628: failed to complete installation"
Tried to run "MaxSea v12.msi" installer file, but got: "The Windows Installer does not permit installation from a Remote Desktop Connection".

Tried to r/click properties and install in XP-sp3 Compatibility mode but made no difference.

Install MS 12.6. in Vista r2 compatibility mode, got: COULD NOT OPEN ENTRY CHECK FILE.

So.... I will try installing MaxSea v10 on this laptop and will let you know if I get anywhere.

BTW< Raytech 6.1 works on the Virtual Machine, but it seems to be a cumbersome program.
spiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 12:00   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbim View Post
Has anyone tried Maxsea 10.3.2.1 with Windows 7? Wondering if there any issues a current XP user should know about.

Also, anything you can tell me about using Seaclear II, NavMonPC and Yacht-AIS with Win7 would be much appreciated?

Am toying with the idea of moving to openCPN, which I understand works with Win7, but sitting here in the Philippines I am leary about switching over to something I know nothing about and might be the source of countless headaches.
I installed MaxSea on a laptop with Win7 today without any problem. I run MaxSea in "XP servicepack 2 mode". Haven't tried it with GPS yet.
Joshua1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 21:54   #26

MaxSea 10.x.x + Windows 7

To get AIS targets on chart, I am trying to activate MaxSea using the 'sentemul' and 'reg' file without success (Windows 7 pro 32 bit ). Am I missing something. Please help.

udnan.
udnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 23:56   #27
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Bas,

you have 10 posts here, I have many more so just read some of my other posts and you will find that I am here to help others, not to sell anything. I am retired.

Also, you shouldn't get yourself worked up so much, it's not good for you, ask a doctor. You're not the OP of this thread either, if he thinks I am off topic, he will let me know and until then I don't think he needs you to police his thread. I'm also not very charmed with you yelling at me... stop that.

I think my posts are on topic because most cruisers asking about running MaxSea under Win7 ask this because they can't find a new laptop that they want which supports Windows XP. Most offerings force you to Win7. My posts are in this thread to tell readers that Mac's can run XP so that they have another option besides the Atom based netbooks.

I keep reacting to your posts because I don't want incorrect information in it without someone writing that it is incorrect. Many cruisers use this forum's search function to find solutions for their problems.

So, on your eeePC you run win7 in 64 bit and MaxSea runs faster on that than it does under plain XP? That is impossible Bas because Win7 has more CPU utilization in system/kernel routines than Windows XP. This means that the best you can get is equal performance but only when your CPU never hits 100% utilization... something I don't believe for the poor Atom CPU that needs to run all that.

Oh yes, about energy consumption: the 14W is during idle which really is quite different from standby. Idle is when you are looking at what's on the screen, standby is when the system is in sleep mode.

As we're the only ones left in this thread, I'll give it to you ;-)

cheers,
Nick.
Thanks Nick for your explanation on the versatility of Mac, much appreciated from my end.

You were being very patient with a new poster who does not quite understand the “be nice” attitude we promote….. he really should apologize to you!

We are all facing the Windows problem of loosing valuable old software that worked ok on XP but had errors using Vista. It cost me a lot to have those new laptops reinstalled with XP.

Now “7” may be a lucky number, but on principal alone, I am looking to buy a Mac because I understand that it can be loaded with Window applications like Office, which I need for business.

It would be great if you could start a New Post…. “Converting to Mac for Cruisers” so that we timid computer users.... weaned on Windows, can finally understand how to break free, yet use the business programs we are familiar with.

Thanks for your help
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 20:00   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiv View Post
I just trieds to install MaxSea v12.1.1 on a Win7 Pro machine.
It installed, but when starting it I got this error: "network: network driver appears to not be serving this directory". Googled around all day and did not solve the issue.

Installed the XP Virtual machine (quite a pain).
Tried to install from Xp Virtual machine, but got error "1628: failed to complete installation"
Tried to run "MaxSea v12.msi" installer file, but got: "The Windows Installer does not permit installation from a Remote Desktop Connection".

Tried to r/click properties and install in XP-sp3 Compatibility mode but made no difference.

Install MS 12.6. in Vista r2 compatibility mode, got: COULD NOT OPEN ENTRY CHECK FILE.

So.... I will try installing MaxSea v10 on this laptop and will let you know if I get anywhere.

BTW< Raytech 6.1 works on the Virtual Machine, but it seems to be a cumbersome program.

I have tried the same thing, got the same error until i copied the installation program to the virtual c-drive. You have to do the same with the chart folder (copy to virtual c-drive). worked great after that. I have not installed a GPS yet.
NorthernMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2011, 11:32   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Thanks Nick for your explanation on the versatility of Mac, much appreciated from my end.

You were being very patient with a new poster who does not quite understand the “be nice” attitude we promote….. he really should apologize to you!

It would be great if you could start a New Post…. “Converting to Mac for Cruisers” so that we timid computer users.... weaned on Windows, can finally understand how to break free, yet use the business programs we are familiar with.

Thanks for your help
Very funny indeed ...

"Versatility of Mac" .... LOOOOOOL

As a matter of fact I will never understand why people should undergo "mac-brainwashing" ... Apple has nothing to do with his consumers, it is just a big money machine, and they are proving it time and time again ... look at their newest "trics" : Iphone (antenna-gate ... Apple ignores), Ipad (no flash, why ? well of course everyone should build special apple appliciations, now apple only allows them to be sold through their store AND want commission, how very clever and how stupid the companies and people who are/were falling for that).

Seems there are some really whealty users here.
Who are just wanting the latest gadget wether it works or not ...
Please do spend all you can, be my guest.

The few poster-user ;-))))
Old 24-01-2011, 12:02   #30
cruiser

maxsea and Window 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbim View Post
Has anyone tried Maxsea 10.3.2.1 with Windows 7? Wondering if there any issues a current XP user should know about.

Also, anything you can tell me about using Seaclear II, NavMonPC and Yacht-AIS with Win7 would be much appreciated?

Am toying with the idea of moving to openCPN, which I understand works with Win7, but sitting here in the Philippines I am leary about switching over to something I know nothing about and might be the source of countless headaches.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news , but having just upgraded my laptop which came with Window 7 I had to " uninstall" window 7 and load window XP Pro to keep my Maxsea software operational.
Le Doume is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maxsea