Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2011, 23:59   #46

Re: MaxSea and Win7 . . .

Basile, unfortunately your link isn't working and I couldn't find it in the way back machine.

Do you have a link that works?

Also, could you please clarify which version of Maxsea 10 you got working, and if you used the sentinel dongle emulator?

Cheers,
Rene
ReneWooller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 00:33   #47

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Welcome to the forum Rene.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 14:16   #48

Boat: St. Francis 44 Mk II (Catamaran)
Send a message via Skype™ to SoggyPaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
y'all just buy MaxSea (TimeZero) and enjoy up to date, legal software :-) I do the XP thing too but have finally been convinced to go for TimeZero...

You know, I'm a former software developer and I do really like to PAY for the software I really use, because I know how much work goes into making good software.

So when I kept seeing people on these forums talk about Time Zero, I was interested. I was hoping for maybe a scaled down version of Maxsea (with a new better user interface).. However, after playing with TimeZero, I'm no longer interested (and not just because of the horrific price).

We started buddy boating with a relatively new cruiser who invested a LOT of boat bucks in TimeZero--to go with his new radar and chart plotter. He wanted an integrated system.

So I said "Great, you're using Maxsea... let me give you the Layer files I have made that have waypoints for Tonga, and some other cruiser's tracks I have accumulated."

I also had a KAP (raster) chart made from Google Earth (using GE2KAP) for a particularly tricky harbor in Tonga for which the CM93 charts (and his new TZ charts too) were inaccurate.

I gave him the files on a thumb drive (Maxsea *.ptf files) and *.KAP files. A day or so later, he told me he couldn't figure out what to do with them.

So I went over to his boat to show him how to do it, poor fellow. I expected to see Maxsea with a better user internface. But lo and behold, I am shocked and amazed to report the following HUGE HUGE missing features in TimeZero:

1. No layer file support. There is no way to take a layer file (with tracks and waypoints from others) and put them into Time Zero. You can import a GPX file, but even with that capability, there doesn't seem to be any way to 'manage' waypoints as you can with layer files. And no support in TZ for importing your old layer files. (however, a 3rd party shareware program is available will convert ptf to gpx, however).

2. No KAP file support. You CANNOT use this semi-standard raster format, even on the computer side in TimeZero--only their proprietary chart packs ($$$$..$$$$).

I couldn't believe that these two features were not supported at all. I am sure it is partly because it would be hard to integrate these two features with the chart plotter/radar integration that Time Zero has. And the layer file capability was so poorly explained and a little buggy, that probably few people use it. But still...the Layer files, once you figure out how to use them, are very VERY powerful.

The FAQ file on the Maxsea Time Zero site says 'If you want to use your older charts, keep your old version of Maxsea installed on your computer too'.

Direct link: http://www.furunousa.com/ProductDocu...Zero%20FAQ.pdf

If you're in the U.S. and/or staying in one region, TimeZero might work ok for you. But if you're headed to other places, think about at least loading up OpenCPN (and/or keeping your original Maxsea).

For example, NZ has just released free updates to their charts that cover Tonga accurately. Yep... they are KAP files... supported in Maxsea 10, OpenCPN, and a number of other charting programs... but NOT TimeZero.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rts-51159.html

Disclaimer: I am not a TimeZero expert. If you are, and dispute what I found, I'd sure like to know how to use ptf files and Kap files in TimeZero, so I can show my buddy.
SoggyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 15:00   #49
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggyPaws

1. No layer file support. There is no way to take a layer file (with tracks and waypoints from others) and put them into Time Zero. You can import a GPX file, but even with that capability, there doesn't seem to be any way to 'manage' waypoints as you can with layer files. And no support in TZ for importing your old layer files. (however, a 3rd party shareware program is available will convert ptf to gpx, however).

2. No KAP file support. You CANNOT use this semi-standard raster format, even on the computer side in TimeZero--only their proprietary chart packs ($$$$..$$$$).

I couldn't believe that these two features were not supported at all.
Why not? Make yourself a list of current programs that support these... only MaxSea 12 does take layer files and a handfull of programs take KAP.

If you want to give people your route or track, you cant come with a layer file because that will only work on the old MaxSea programs. So yes, you have to convert to gpx, which is kind of the standard.

For charts, KAP is not the standard either... it's S57 ie. vector.

To understand the new software better, think of it as "TimeZero". There are several versions of it, called MaxSea, Nobeltec and NavNet3D. It's all the same, but don't compare with older generation software under those names.

Check out panbo.com ; TimeZero got another award.

cheers,
Nick.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 16:09   #50
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
For charts, KAP is not the standard either... it's S57 ie. vector.
I'm going to quibble a bit on that...

Actually they said "semi-standard raster format"

.kap IS the standard for raster charts. S57 is the new standard for vector charts.

The standard for charts has been moving to vector for quite some time now. S57, therefore seems to be the new overall standard for charts.

BUT, .kap is still the raster standard...

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 15:55   #51

Boat: Valiant 32

Is there a language problem with MaxSea support? I have received nothing but inane answers to my questions concerning Win 7. The last one said I don't need a dongle for Maxsea 12.4 with XP but would have to purchase a dongle from my dealer to enable MaxSea 12 to run with Win 7. I am thinking it is time to go to another software. I atempted to say that my MaxSea, and i started at 7 i think all would not start without a dongle. Was informed you only need a dongle the first time you start the software. At that slammed phone down and had a double.
olegunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 13:32   #52
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

Some people preface their answers to a problem with "Why don't you just buy..."and to some people that is fine....but the cost of the newest version of MaxSea that will run on Win7 (not to mention the $225 upgrade)is alot less than a new mac to run your old version of maxsea....if you are going to buy a new computer to run your MaxSea designed for XP, then why not get an XP.
Old 15-02-2013, 02:50   #53

Boat: Joubert Koala 24
I tried timezero and found it excruciating. I wouldn't pay $10 for it, let alone what...600 or something? OpenCPN, while not perfect, is worth a lot more IMHO.
Tomm0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 04:56   #54

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomm0 View Post
I tried timezero and found it excruciating. I wouldn't pay $10 for it, let alone what...600 or something? OpenCPN, while not perfect, is worth a lot more IMHO.
Did you compare feature sets? How does radar look on OCPN? etc. etc. For minimalistic nav it is best to go even simpler like iPad with iNavx or Garmin.

Old 15-02-2013, 12:10   #55

Boat: Joubert Koala 24
I guess I'm old school - prefer my radar separate. I enjoy ais integrated though so maybe I should try, next time I have radar.
Its not about the features... It was about useability. It feels like the UI was designed by an orang utan - not intuitive. And the setup was painful too.
I need my charts to be accessible to my wife without a 6 week training course.
Tomm0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 19:02   #56

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomm0 View Post
I guess I'm old school - prefer my radar separate. I enjoy ais integrated though so maybe I should try, next time I have radar.
Its not about the features... It was about useability. It feels like the UI was designed by an orang utan - not intuitive. And the setup was painful too.
I need my charts to be accessible to my wife without a 6 week training course.
Are we talking about the same product? MSTZ is much more userfriendly than all other software I know incl. all previous MaxSea versions.

You still have a separate (Furuno) radar; you just also get it in MaxSea.

Old 16-02-2013, 08:12   #57

I've switched over to Coastal Explorer. I don't like MaxSea TZ either. It does integrate well with Furuno gear, but a rational, usable program is more important to me than having yet another radar overlay - I can get that on an MFD.
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 10:08   #58
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

I was happy with my Nobeltec 6.5....but my new Win7 laptop wasn't I was able to get the "xp mode" from MS so XP softwear would run....the Nobeltec will run, but part of the instalation program wouln't....I think I will just get myself a mini ITX board computer running on XP for my nav computer, inexpensive, small, runs on 12v and has wireless and bluetooth to connect to an Android tablet in the cockpit (which can act as a remote desktop for X).
Old 16-02-2013, 10:21   #59

F-ing windows. It's a new drain on the planet.
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 11:08   #60

Boat: Alberg 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
F-ing windows. It's a new drain on the planet.
Try Windows 8 before you say that! Lol.
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maxsea