Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-01-2011, 18:59   #31

I have been installing & configuring laptops for sailors for a number of years.
I have no intrest in the Mac vs Windows discussion.
It is, and has always been my stance that multiple used laptops running Windows XP is the way to go.
Cheaper, redundant & less compatability problems for navigation software suites.
You will find more people outside of the U.S. run a Windows platform than any other. Especially is 2nd & 3rd world areas. Plus swapping maps/charts/software with other cruisers is more likely to be compatible.
Used $100 laptops, with an investment in an after market battery is the way to go.
Because they WILL fail in the marine enviornment. Not if, when.

Old 24-01-2011, 19:11   #32
Obsfucator, Second Class

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobleshift View Post
I have been installing & configuring laptops for sailors for a number of years.
I have no intrest in the Mac vs Windows discussion.
It is, and has always been my stance that multiple used laptops running Windows XP is the way to go.
Cheaper, redundant & less compatability problems for navigation software suites.
You will find more people outside of the U.S. run a Windows platform than any other. Especially is 2nd & 3rd world areas. Plus swapping maps/charts/software with other cruisers is more likely to be compatible.
Used $100 laptops, with an investment in an after market battery is the way to go.
Because they WILL fail in the marine enviornment. Not if, when.
I think if I was installing and configuring for other people I would do the same.

Even building just for myself, almost all of what you say is correct. I would quibble on only one point. Sharing maps and charts should not be a problem between Mac/Win and *nix platforms. Sharing software would be, however.

Otherwise you have very good points.

However, doing it for myself, I have other reasons to want to go Linux. In a 3rd world country, if I can find an internet connection, I can DL for free everything from the OS on. And since I have my own website, I can conveniently have everything I need ready for download all from that site. So, even if I have a catastrophic failure, I should be able to rebuild, as long as I can find some out of date hardware to load it on.

So while you have good information for the masses, it might not apply to everyone. That's why we are having the Win/Mac/Linux discussions.

-dan

dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2011, 19:50   #33

Boat: Tartan 30
Hi, funny thread... I'm an old school unix guy... used mac for years after I quit... converted to windows 7 recently totally retarded right???

anyway. I have maxsea 10.3.1.2 working just fine on my win7 netbook. I had to use win7 over winxp because of the compatability with SSD drives.... Anyway, just get the older version of maxsea and use it, or get something else that works with your OS. It's really not that complicated You can't fit a square peg into a round hole....
Old 24-01-2011, 20:38   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacust

I think if I was installing and configuring for other people I would do the same.

Even building just for myself, almost all of what you say is correct. I would quibble on only one point. Sharing maps and charts should not be a problem between Mac/Win and *nix platforms. Sharing software would be, however.

Otherwise you have very good points.

However, doing it for myself, I have other reasons to want to go Linux. In a 3rd world country, if I can find an internet connection, I can DL for free everything from the OS on. And since I have my own website, I can conveniently have everything I need ready for download all from that site. So, even if I have a catastrophic failure, I should be able to rebuild, as long as I can find some out of date hardware to load it on.

So while you have good information for the masses, it might not apply to everyone. That's why we are having the Win/Mac/Linux discussions.

-dan
With you on the Linux front. But most ppl who know how to tune a linux box don't need this kind help.
For Joe American there is no reason to even bring up another O/S other than XP.
Even for my own usage (on the boat) I prefer XP over Linux for that very same reason. Back @ home I am all Linux, even the phone I'm typing this on. Website, email, IDS, the works.
Not to mention that once you have a solid install, it's easier to put/build a routine/application in place that will back up the system, and allow you to rock 'n' roll the device drivers on a different hardware platform.
There are too many variables when trying to accomplish this between two different laptops & Linux. Joe six pack has no idea what a shell is, and by that time the only Bash he's going to do is his skull against a bulkhead.
Windows XP is right for everyone, trust me. I freakin' hate it, and wish everyone knew (and used) OSS/GPL. That's just not the case.
Old 25-01-2011, 02:01   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tayana 37
Nice to see a thread I started way back when is still alive and kicking.... We have three laptops aboard, one running XP, one running Linux and one running both. Love them and love Macs, which I have used at work and owned and will no doubt own again....

The solution to my question in the OP was to drop Maxsea in favour of OpenCPN. It runs on anything and everything and is so versatile, using a variety of chart formats.
Old 25-01-2011, 02:06   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbim View Post
Nice to see a thread I started way back when is still alive and kicking.... We have three laptops aboard, one running XP, one running Linux and one running both. Love them and love Macs, which I have used at work and owned and will no doubt own again....

The solution to my question in the OP was to drop Maxsea in favour of OpenCPN. It runs on anything and everything and is so versatile, using a variety of chart formats.
Excellent.
Old 25-01-2011, 13:53   #37

Boat: Freeport 41, Flying Cloud
MaxSea 12.+

Years ago i had version 7.? and loved the program. Then I purchased version 12 a few years ago. Tried to load it on Vista and have NEVER got the thing to work correctly. Over 2 dozen contacts to tech and stupid replies is all i get. From my old version I had tons of CM93 charts. None of them can be used on this version without paying ransom for new copies.
My current Mazsea will not display a full chart. Only sections of it. Given these complications and total lack of support, I have been pointed in the direction of Seaclear.
My buddy has it on his boat and it has nearly everything Maxsea has. Including AIS. Given the fact that it is FREE, I would suggest you look in that direction and turn away from the Maxsea Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbim View Post
Has anyone tried Maxsea 10.3.2.1 with Windows 7? Wondering if there any issues a current XP user should know about.

Also, anything you can tell me about using Seaclear II, NavMonPC and Yacht-AIS with Win7 would be much appreciated?

Am toying with the idea of moving to openCPN, which I understand works with Win7, but sitting here in the Philippines I am leary about switching over to something I know nothing about and might be the source of countless headaches.
Old 26-01-2011, 09:20   #38
Ancient Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP, Salina 14.3m
Send a message via Skype™ to spiv
After all the problems I had with Win7 and MaxSea I bought a 13" MacPro and used the dual boot facility to rum MaxSea OK.

Additionally I installed OpenCPN on my Win7 notebook and it runs very well, you can load GRIBS files and it found my portable GPS instantly.

I have not had time to install the AIS and Radar on the boat yet, but I read that Open CPN will display both Radar and AIS signals, so I will let you know in a few months what my results will be.

The MacPro: I don't know it well, but I love it.
I installed all my pictures, videos and music on it and it has some magic!
Eventually I will learn how to make it do all the other things....
Old 19-02-2011, 19:52   #39

Boat: St. Francis 44 Mk II (Catamaran)
Send a message via Skype™ to SoggyPaws
Successful Installs of Maxsea 10.3 on Eee PC Win 7

Just wanted to report that I have now twice successfully installed Maxsea 10.3 on Window 7. One was on W7 Basic and one on W7 Home Premium. I have FAILED to install it on a new Toshiba laptop running W7 (not sure what version). The error I got was the same "network blah blah blah... " error that one other poster reported.

I vaguely remember some horrible problems installing the same Maxsea version on one guy's computer--I think a Toshiba--running XP. It seemed to me that Toshiba had some funny settings and things in their Windows folder... something to do with the 'Dongle' program that is needed to run Maxsea without the hardware dongle. Toshiba may use the same app for some other purpose and the two conflict. This Toshiba also has tons of stuff in the Windows folder write-protected, so the install barfed trying to overwrite something. (sorry, I don't remember details--too busy at the time to make notes on what eventually worked). I did eventually get Maxsea running on that laptop--but I spent hours Googling and trying stuff before I got it figured out.

Unfortunately, I am not nearly as familiar with W7 as I am with XP, so when I got the error on my friend's brand new Toshiba--I just installed OpenCPN instead. Sadly, it's much harder to share my Maxsea tracks with him (possible, just not nearly as easy).

So, bottom line, I do know it is possible--and not that hard--to install Maxsea 10.3.2.1 on Windows 7, without upgrading to the expensive Premium version. But if you have a Toshiba... I don't know... (Toshiba owners encouraged to post back here!!)
Old 20-02-2011, 06:45   #40
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 - Pamela
Microsoft no longer requires a CPU with hardware virtualization to run XP in Windows 7. They are still requiring W7 Pro or higher. W7 Pro run about $40-$50 more than W7 Home Prem. but would be worth it if you need some XP support.

I installed Maxsea 10.3.2.1 on an Atom D525 based machine running XP in the virtual mode with no problems. RS232 COM ports and USB virtual ports were easily assigned to the virtual machine.
Old 20-02-2011, 09:25   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat
I tried an earlier MaxSea on Windows 7 (normal 7 mode) and it did not work. It worked on Vista though.

I tried another software on 7 and could not get Garmin puck to work on (I did in the end up using a third party called Gate something).

Waste of my () time.

I just stick with XP and everything works.

No problem with 7 otherwise.

b.
Old 20-02-2011, 20:43   #42
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: MaxSea and Win7 . . .

y'all just buy MaxSea (TimeZero) and enjoy up to date, legal software :-) I do the XP thing too but have finally been convinced to go for TimeZero...

cheers,
Nick.
Old 20-02-2011, 22:00   #43

Location: from Houston, TX; currently berthed in Barcelona, headed west
Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
y'all just buy MaxSea (TimeZero) and enjoy up to date, legal software :-) I do the XP thing too but have finally been convinced to go for TimeZero...

cheers,
Nick.
So, my number one favorite pirate is now getting a little old??

Best,

Bill
s/v BeBe
www.svbebe.com
Old 21-02-2011, 07:46   #44
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
So, my number one favorite pirate is now getting a little old??
haha Bill I actually met a bigger software pirate than me recently Nah, I'll always keep it at hand but my old and tired radar is finished so I'm going for the Furuno thing and would love to have a completely wireless laptop around that can show me charts, radar etc. anywhere aboard... for which you need the TimeZero software.

To prevent any discussion about me not being a real pirate, see the proof below

ciao!
Nick.
Old 26-04-2011, 17:57   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMagic View Post
I have tried the same thing, got the same error until i copied the installation program to the virtual c-drive. You have to do the same with the chart folder (copy to virtual c-drive). worked great after that. I have not installed a GPS yet.

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!!!! I got it to work on one computer and then I have struggled for 4 days on a second laptop....couldn't figure it out as the only difference between the computer is one is intel and one is AMD.....I forgot that in the first case I had copied the files onto the virtual HD (i.e. XP mode "my documents" folder) where in the 2nd computer I was running off the actual "shared" hard drive.

Thanks a ton, this has been driving me nuts

Tags
maxsea

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: