Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2007, 13:42   #1

Boat: R&C Leopard 42 - ONE LIFE
Martinique to Trindad in a Week

Just purchased a 42' catamaran and would like to relocate it to Trinidad. Can this trip be confortably done in 6-7 days weather permitting?
kevinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2007, 14:54   #2
Eternal Member

Kevin,

Depends on how you do it. The rhumb-line distance from Fort de France to Port of Spain is 238 miles, or under 40 hours sailing at 6 knots average.

With sufficient crew, experience, navigational skills, and reasonable weather, should be an easy passage.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2007, 15:26   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm
Just purchased a 42' catamaran and would like to relocate it to Trinidad. Can this trip be confortably done in 6-7 days weather permitting?
Which model 42' did you buy?

The switch.fr skippers single hand to the Grenadines regularly. They will do this on an overnight passage, although they often stop in Soufriere in St. Lucia for the night. There's no reason whatsover you can't make it to Trinidad in the time you have got, once the crew are up to it. keep an eye on stormcarib.com just in case something pops up. When are you thinking of doing the trip?
The most important items to consider along the way are (i) the weather forecast, and (ii) what you are going to do if things get messy. Chances are on the 42' going downwind you will average 8 knots no bother. That could get you home and dry in 30 hours or so.

French weather forecasting is generally superb. They should be able to give you a good window in which to make the trip.

Fair winds and fair sailing.

kesey.

P.S. If you don't know the area too well, then you should have Chris Doyle's Sailor's Guide to the Windward Islands with you - you should have it anyway, it is excellent. If you want advice on where to hold up en route should you need to, ask away and I'll suggest as far as Grenada
kesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2007, 19:49   #4

Boat: 2004 Manta 42 - Perseverance
Going downwind from Martinique to Trinidad? I don't think so. If you are lucky, you may get a beam reach, maybe even a tad aft of the beam, but do not count on a downwind run. Even if you do a series of day sails, you can easily make this trip in 5 days with good weather. Budgeting 10 days gives you lay days for weather if needed.

We are in Trini now. Where are you planning to be when you get here?
Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2007, 19:56   #5

Boat: Gemini 105M, 34
Two weeks ago I went from Martinique to Grenada with lots of stops in 5 days. It is only another day to Trinidad. Unless there are storms out there, it will be an easy beam reach. We were doing ten knots in a bahia 46 most of the way. We did short legs, like 35 miles. Leave at dawn and anchor at dusk and it is easy to do 80 miles.
captnknopf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2007, 07:17   #6

We take possession of our ex-Moorings 4200 in Martinique on August 13 and are going to high tale it down to either Grenada or Trinidad weather/hurricane permitting. Any comments on the choice of Grenada or Trinidad? Is either better for getting solar panels and a water maker installed? Buy there or ship down?

Am looking for a Dinghy and outboard in Martinique or St. Lucia. Any suggestions?

This trip is in preparation for a 6 month tour of the Caribbean with my wife and 4 kids beginning November 1.

Thanks for the feedback.

Kevin
Old 25-07-2007, 07:42   #7

K: Congrats on the new boat.
Here are some add'l resources (in case you have not used or seen before) that m/b useful in the coming months or for this maiden voyage

http://www.noonsite.com/

SSCA Discussion Board :: View Forum - Destinations

Fair Winds
Chuteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2007, 03:53   #8

Boat: 2004 Manta 42 - Perseverance
Kevin,
Are you planning to stay aboard the boat for the remainder of hurricane season? Does your insurance cover you for Grenada? Did you want a marina, a mooring, or did you plan to stay on the hook? The answers to these questions will help determine if Grendad or Trinidad is the better spot for you.

We opted to stay in Trinidad. It is fairly expensive here, particularly for getting work done. And they do charge extra for berthing a cat. Having said that, we are at Crews Inn, and it is lovely. We have everything we need at our fingertips (incl. grocery, bank, restaurants, and pool in addition to the usual laundry, showers, etc.). I am not sure what is available in terms of getting work done on your boat in Grenada, but I can guarantee you that you can do it all here. And boat parts are duty free here.

I can't advise you as to the dinghy/motor. I know this is very self-serving, but I currently have an outboard motor for sale if you can wait till you get to Trini. It runs well - we just decided to take advantage of the great deals in St. Martin to replace it. It is posted on this board - check the archives.
Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2007, 06:42   #9

When sailing down, am I required to clear customs even if we are only anchored overnight or is this only require if we go ashore?

Tags
Martinique