Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2017, 16:28   #1

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Markers or Chart?

My rule of thumb when near an inlet has always been to follow the markers, especially the small movable ones. This is based on the premise that these markers are often moved around shoaling areas in inlets and these moves don't necessarily get reflected on the charts and I might have missed it in the LNM. This failed me for the first time at the New River inlet in NC. Marker 72B on the ICW has extensive shoaling on the red side and the magenta line makes a radical turn towards the green side. This is the first time in my experience that movable marker has been wrong and the chart has been right. At least we didn't hit too hard.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 16:37   #2

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Re: Markers or Chart?

Follow the markers. The chart you're using is probably 30-years-old, or more. Stay in the middle of the channel unless traffic dictates otherwise.
Old 30-08-2017, 16:56   #3

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Follow the markers. The chart you're using is probably 30-years-old, or more. Stay in the middle of the channel unless traffic dictates otherwise.
Usually true but not this time. The chart was updated to reflect the shoal in April(I checked), but the marker is still in it's original position. If you stay in mid channel here and draw 4 feet you will hit bottom at low tide.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 05:13   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

“New River Inlet [heading south]. New red buoy 72A up the river from the waterway crossing at red #72.
Must look 90 deg. up river and spot this marker, it has recently been moved. When we made this crossing last week there was a square marker tied to a tree limb directly ahead from red day mark 72 and if you go to it, you will be aground. You must turn to the right and look up river to see the red 72 C buoy and go to it.
Phillip Mullins”

“Yesterday went by the New River Inlet area. I’d say stay away from N72B but go very close to DM72. Mid-tide saw 6ft. Much lower near 72B and away from 72.
Mike Camarata”

ICW – Trouble Spots – Intersection of AICW and New River | Cruisers' Net

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote