Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2016, 08:44   #16

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana
Re: Marine Navigation for Android

I have OpenCPN on Linux as the main nav system. I also have it on a phone and tablet under Android.

Learning one system is easier and applicable to both.

Navionics charts are 100% useless where I sail, and have been responsible for several losses of boats.

OpenCPN does everything I need it to, and as it is "open" you can be involved with its development, and have support from a group of like-minded people who are mariners who understand your problems without commercial constraints.

I would look no further.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:45   #17

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

I have been using Navionics HD on cell and tablet only as backup to my Garmin plotter. I have the Garmin connected to the auto pilot so it can follow a course . Can't do that with the Android device without spending a lot of money. I use it primarily for narrows current info. I no longer spend 30 bucks a year on Passage maker which is only good for one season. We have a lot of narrow passages that can only be traversed near slack waters in my area.
Old 06-09-2016, 12:53   #18

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Oldguy View Post
Afrinus, where/how do you get the routing piece?
In the Android version, click on "Menu" then "Charts &Upgrades"

There are two options - 1st is the "Navigation Module" and 2nd is "Advanced Map Options"

The first gives you full routing capability and the second gives you access to thousands of users uploaded edits including high def sonar charts.

I use it in the South East, and till now have never come accrue a major omission in the charts.

For those that say there are complete miss I g islands, I don't get it, as in "Advanced Map Options" I can switch to NOAA charts....I guess if it's missing there it would be miss I g on your paper as well???

If this is nothing but a toy, I'll gladly take my toys and go home...at least I know how to use em.
Afrinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 13:24   #19

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned nvcharts. I have the paper charts for the Leewards and loaded the program on my Mac, app on my phone, iPad and android tablet.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 13:43   #20

Boat: Endurance 35 Pilothouse Cutter

Unfortunately, my Galaxy S6 went over the side in the strait of Georgia, and the Galaxy J7 I replaced with has limited compatibility, and apparently those options are not available.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
AZ-Oldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 13:48   #21

Boat: Endurance 35 Pilothouse Cutter

I am very happy with open CON on my Samsung ultrabook, as far as it goes, but it doesn't go very far. it knows where US and Canadian waters meet, and as soon as I cross from the San Juans to the Gulf islands, I have only childlike sketches of the Canadian waters in the place of charts. Canada sells these charts through retail agents but they are very expensive and you must buy many individual charts, this is not good as Blaine WA is my home port and White Rock, where I can clear into Canada, is only 2 miles away. Glenn

AZ-Oldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 13:48   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecambrai View Post
I have used Marine Navigator on my Android for a couple of years. The charts are Raster chart from Visitmyharbour. The combination of the 2 is excellent with routing and waypoints so easy to use.
What ever system you use, the first issue is always to find who sells the charts for your cruising area.
The only real issue that I have faced is with the cheaper tablets, daylight viewing os not good. Sitting out in the sun is not an option if I want to read my tablet.
Samsung Amoled screens are far better but cost £300 more than my cheapo tablet which works really well, and I am not afraid that if I dunk it the cost of a new one is not so much.
Tablets and charts are so much the way to go. So portable and so practical. Updating is always an issue with any of these electronic charts.
Monthly notices to mariners are impossible to add. I do look at the N2M's for my cruising area and make a paper note of anything really significant and keep it alongside my log.
I have also built a dark box with a hole in the top which I find enables me to have the tablet by the helm in the sun and makes it more readable.
I wish someone would make a good black box or better still an affordable daylight screen.
If you're using raster charts from NOAA - which are free - then there are no longer any Notices to Mariners'. You just download the latest file again and you are updated. Could be heavy on data over satelite or ordinary cell phone but no problem when on wireless.
rodgoult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 15:25   #23

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Quote:
Unfortunately, my Galaxy S6 went over the side in the strait of Georgia, and the Galaxy J7 I replaced with has limited compatibility, and apparently those options are not available.

If you had it on the S6 and you reinstalled the app on your S7, you just need to click on the "Restore Previously Purchased"

If you didn't have it before, check under the map purchase are in the app - it's only a few $ for the added options
Quote:

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
Afrinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 15:36   #24

We like Plan 2 Nav running CMap
bvander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 19:22   #25

Boat: Bavaria 38 C

Thank you for all the feedback!

Having just learned from “four winds” that OpenCPN is out of beta, I tested it with NOAA ENC charts on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 3. The experience so far is not good.

The app is extremely slow, to the degree of being unresponsive, and frequently freezes/crashes. Zooming in and out must be done in tiny increments, otherwise the chart disappears and the display returns to the generic, rough outlines as if no maps were installed.

I have checked and double checked settings according to the OpenCPN User Manual, but to no avail.

Any advice???
viben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 19:44   #26

Boat: Various Cruising Dinghies

I use Plan2nav. It's pretty good for the price (free). I downloaded the chart for "Great Lakes and Eastern Canada which is a huge area and includes Maine for $12.99.

It provides real time pilotage info only, no planning tools what so ever. I do my planning on paper and pilotage with Plan2nav.

It's pretty good for what it is.
Ungvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 20:59   #27

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Quote:
Originally Posted by viben View Post
Thank you for all the feedback!

Having just learned from “four winds” that OpenCPN is out of beta, I tested it with NOAA ENC charts on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 3. The experience so far is not good.

The app is extremely slow, to the degree of being unresponsive, and frequently freezes/crashes. Zooming in and out must be done in tiny increments, otherwise the chart disappears and the display returns to the generic, rough outlines as if no maps were installed.

I have checked and double checked settings according to the OpenCPN User Manual, but to no avail.

Any advice???
I cant comment on your setup, but on our cheap-ass Chinese Android 4.2 system its fast, stable, and totally functional. Perhaps you should tap the help button, and, if you have the purchased version, there will be a link to product support, otherwise search here in C&SF for help.
Old 07-09-2016, 03:26   #28

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

I'm a big time fan of Navionics. Not cheap but reliable and easy to use. I've just upgraded to a new 7inch chartplotter which I use in conjunction a smartphone app when I'm below deck. That's all I need.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 07-09-2016, 04:47   #29

Boat: 60

I'm a Linux fan. Private. Opencnp is god if you are in US, sailing the Med. For most place, Asia too, free raster are ..very old. The newest Navionics is far better I do have only Chinese tab's same resolution as Apple, Android 5.1 & Windows.10" My phone is Chinese too. It takes TWO cards. Garmin seems not bad. Too much stuff I do not need...where going out. Navionics with a good chartplotter, radar overlay, ais Transponder..."not free" doing what it is supposed to do. That is much a ship is not a car...........the ocean is BIG
Greaser-Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 07:16   #30

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

Can anyone recommend a source for a Caribbean (Leeward Islands) chart for OpenCPN?
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, navigation