Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2019, 19:08   #46

Boat: Hartley 28 plus fluted stern
Re: Magnetic Pole Shift causing Armageddon!

My answer was a joke Roland Unfortunately they didn't have a Polish Explorer icon . . . and real Vikings didn't have horns.
Old 15-01-2019, 19:11   #47

On the floor of the Atlantic there is a crack running N to S and is constantly opening up separating the two tectonic plates. As they separate, the molten lave oozing out solidifies with it's molecules polarized N to S. This happens for 2 million years then the Poles flip and then the molecules are polarized in reverse for another 2 million years. That's why there are opposite polarized stripes along the crack all the way across the ocean floor. Thousands of stripes each one representing a 2 million year polar magnetic flip ! Are you still with me ? The problem comes when the elasticity building up to the point where the Crust slips on the earths mantel and the oceans stay put and end up covering the continents for a few days effectively wiping out life on most of the planet. That's the reason for the construction of those underground cities under the USA. The CIA has released a 57 page report on this matter. So get ready for the ride of your life ! Or not !
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 19:26   #48

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Not only that, but in volcanic areas, the rocky bits can and do move around. Too much trouble right now to get it out, but there's actually a note on one of our old paper charts for Raoul Is. which states that the depths may vary as much as 20 ft. I don't think I'd like to have that bubble under my keel!

Ann
Not just volcanos, either. The earthquake near Kaikoura (north-west of the South Island, New Zealand) a couple of years back lifted the seabed anything up to 5 metres or more, such that any chart showing entrances to that (the only port within 100nm) are pretty much "anything goes". Without local knowledge of current conditions it's a non-starter. The road in the image below used to be right on the coastline.

Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 22:09   #49

This NavList post may be of interest.
SeanPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 22:38   #50

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Living Upover, with States properly renamed as:

New North Wales,
North Australia,
and Eastern Australia.

And don't forget there will be the Southern Territory for Darwin.

Plus there will be Australian Artic Territory.

But of most difficulty will be that y'all going to need to learn drive on the proper side of your roadways.
I tried driving on the wrong side of the road in Miami, nearly took out a cop car in shopping center, I had to promise them if they would show me the way to the airport I promise I won't come back 🤣 Ha ha, jokes on them........ I did 🤣

Sorry
Old 16-01-2019, 00:28   #51

Boat: Island Packet 40

Will we have to stand on our heads to read the compass?
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 04:26   #52

Boat: Lagoon 42 TPI

The reversing of the poles does raise a few questions.....Will Santa be living in the North Pole or South Pole? Will the postal service know when to redirect the letters?
MoorOrLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 05:40   #53

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
As to navigating, no problem mate. Just use a corrected chart. Reference image below, albeit this southern orientation map with the present magnetic pole configuration would in fact needs its compass rose inverted.

After all our "North Pole is presently in fact the north facing pole, it is magnetically a south pole. Note use of capital for place and lower case for denoting magnetism.

As to a temporary loss of the protection of the earth's magnetic field that could be a big problem. One may be in need of some serious UV protection.
The earth's magnetic field serves to deflect most of the solar wind, whose charged particles would otherwise strip away the ozone layer that protects the Earth from harmful ultraviolet radiation.
Interesting factoid, never gave that one any thought, but it should have been obvious all these years that the pole of a compass needle that swings to the earths pole would have an opposing charge, in order to attract.

Another interesting thing is that Direct Current flows out from the negative terminal of a battery and the positive terminal is the return point. So why do we fuse the positive side? Answer: IMHO Blindly follows stupid conventions. We could fuse either side and it doesn’t matter so long as we fuse close to the battery.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 06:41   #54

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

"Because of the increasing pole shift, a major update to the WMM was due on January 15th. The new WMM would have taken into account the last three years of scientific data, including a powerful geomagnetic pulse under South America in 2016. The update didn’t happen, and it won’t until the US government re-opens."
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 06:46   #55
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

armageddon takes years to accomplish .. ohmygod we all gonna die hahahahaha
so what i have been saying for a few years has been proven correct. cooool. i have been waiting for proof.
good.
got it.
now... humans are all gonna die. we w will all need to walk on our hands and wear fur.
so chikkin little has been activated and we alllll gonna DDDIIIIIIEEEEE!!!!!
so. what is humans knee jerk reaction? TAX it. hahahahahahaha
i think mother nature doesnot take bribes, so nix that.
just deal with it like animals do. you will not awaken one day with snow on your nose.
happy sails.
and no, it is not the fault of any usa president and hatred of a usa president is a nasty politics and needs to be stopped in this forum. thankyou.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 07:02   #56

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
and no, it is not the fault of any usa president and hatred of a usa president is a nasty politics and needs to be stopped in this forum. thankyou.

When one has nothing of value to say, but the mouth runneth over, the only option is to attack an unrelated party.

“It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt”

― Mark Twain
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 07:22   #57
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Magnetic Pole Shift causing Armageddon!

[QUOTE=Tetepare;2803849]When one has nothing of value to say, but the mouth runneth over, the only option is to attack an unrelated party.

So your in approval of the prevoious Trump references I take it..
Just asking..

“It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt”
Mark Twain

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 07:39   #58

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
armageddon takes years to accomplish .. ohmygod we all gonna die hahahahaha
so what i have been saying for a few years has been proven correct. cooool. i have been waiting for proof.
good.
got it.
now... humans are all gonna die. we w will all need to walk on our hands and wear fur.
so chikkin little has been activated and we alllll gonna DDDIIIIIIEEEEE!!!!!
so. what is humans knee jerk reaction? TAX it. hahahahahahaha
i think mother nature doesnot take bribes, so nix that.
just deal with it like animals do. you will not awaken one day with snow on your nose.
happy sails.
Hahahaha.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 09:25   #59
Marine Service Provider

A position or location charted 100 years ago when the magnetic north pole was in a different location than today should be just as actuate as it was then baring other anomalies and errors if proper adjustment for magnetic variations were made by the chart maker then and by the user today.

With today's technology the notion that using magnetic north as if it were sacred is soooo yesterday.

All navigation should be in TRUE. Airplanes today don't even have whiskey compasses anymore but aviation charts and runway markings are still in magnetic. But if enter "N Pole" in the airplane's navigation system and hit execute if gives me the magnetic heading, time and distance to the actual physical north pole not the magnetic one. Whereas mariners, at least when you take the USCG exam, are required to work initially in magnetic and convert to TRUE on their charts. Go figure.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 09:37   #60
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Magnetic Pole Shift causing Armageddon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
A position or location charted 100 years ago when the magnetic north pole was in a different location than today should be just as actuate as it was then baring other anomalies and errors if proper adjustment for magnetic variations were made by the chart maker then and by the user today.

With today's technology the notion that using magnetic north as if it were sacred is soooo yesterday.

All navigation should be in TRUE. Airplanes today don't even have whiskey compasses anymore but aviation charts and runway markings are still in magnetic. But if enter "N Pole" in the airplane's navigation system and hit execute if gives me the magnetic heading, time and distance to the actual physical north pole not the magnetic one. Whereas mariners, at least when you take the USCG exam, are required to work initially in magnetic and convert to TRUE on their charts. Go figure.
Its called working to a baseline using existing info..
Invent a compass that shows true N and you can buy the best boat money can buy..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote