Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2011, 06:53   #31

Boat: Building a Seaclipper 24
Re: Magnetic North Shift

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior
I have heard this was happening and I directly attribute it to a high density of automobiles in the USA and China all turning clockwise on a closed path. The rotationally accelerating steel causing a small magnetic moment in all of the automobiles has perturbed the earths magnetic field causing it to precess.

Quote:
ahem...tut tut...
I'm all about staying on topic. Here in the US, we run NASCAR races on the weekends. This is where a high density of automobiles all turn counter-clockwise, I believe, on a closed path. The rotationally accelerating steel causes a small magnetic moment and the addition of adult beverages counters the "precess."
(TGZZZZ)

Ah yes, the "Cariolis Effect"...
Old 07-03-2011, 07:01   #32

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
In the spirit of your environmental purity I guess we can assume that the beautiful bottom paint we see in the middle of that fish kill is non-toxic?
Seven billion people, enough resources for 1 billion.... End of story. How exactly is this related to the drift of the magnetic pole?
I never said I could hover above the Earth, or have "0" impact. That is NOT what "tread lightly" means. I do use toxic bottom paint, but I started out with a copper loaded gel coat, that did not leach. I switched to bottom paint because after two years with the other stuff, I realized that it not only didn't work at all, it attracted barnacles.

I burn diesel fuel on my boat, but only 1/2 gal / hr, because it is an 18 HP engine, (15 HP at my cruising RPM). By choosing to "go small", I could get by with this small an engine.

By choosing to go with a tri, I sail rather than motor, 85% of the time... 98% of the time when at sea.

By going with super insulated refrigeration, LEDs, fluorescents, etc., I could run the boat on all solar. ("0" fuel consumption charging batteries)

I still make tons of garbage, but I take my own canvass grocery bags, recycle, etc.

I buy lots of consumables, but think about my purchases, where they came from, the effects, biodegradability, etc.

I ride a motorcycle, but @ only 583 CCs it gets over 60 MPG. I try to run errands with it, AND it's more fun.

I never said I don't pollute, burn fossil fuels, etc., or do all of the other things that are making our planet less hospitable. I built boats for decades, including spray painting, one of the most damaging things of all! I have pangs of guilt about the nastyness of my own profession. I am, however, honest with myself about it. I look at it as the nasty profession that it really is, and don't try to rationalize that it's not..

My point is, that no matter where we are on the "footprint", "pollution" scale as individuals, we can all do better. MYSELF INCLUDED! THAT'S what I am trying to do, be honest about my past excesses / mistakes, educate myself to a better way, and try to have a GOOD TIME... Scuba dive, cruise, travel, ride my bike, etc. in the most environmentally conscious way that I can. "Treading lightly on the planet". I have no intention of becoming a monk, and living in a cave with "0" environmental offenses.

I realize that your making this into an "either / or" issue, ignoring the rational median, modern lifestyle, was just sarcasm, but it is neither humorous or useful. The future of humankind is a serious subject.

Sorry for the thread drift. Like they so often do, I was responding to a previous comment, rather than the original question. When I made my first very short post, it never occurred to me that someone would disagree with the obvious. I may be naive, but it always surprises me when they do. Just like the fact that 50% of the US doesn't believe in "evolution"... It baffles me.

Mark
Old 07-03-2011, 07:34   #33

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45

Actually you will have to check the variation for your area. The GPS does show the variation and hopefully it is the corrected Variation for your area.
Your Deviation card has nothing to do with the variation, but for the math required for correcting to True and Back.
The change of variation is still very slow and checking on it twice a year should be enough to sooth your mind over this matter. That is if you are really super concerned about this... Once a year otherwise.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:35   #34

Boat: Building a Seaclipper 24

The NASA article quoted earlier in the thread and other reputable sources indicate that magnetic pole reversals take a couple of thousand years to complete and the magnetic fields don't just go away during that time. I don't see any reason to be overly concerned about this.
As far as climate change and treading lightly, I fully agree with Mark Johnson on these crucial issues .
Old 07-03-2011, 07:44   #35

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnson View Post
When I made my first very short post, it never occurred to me that someone would disagree with the obvious. I may be naive, but it always surprises me when they do. Just like the fact that 50% of the US doesn't believe in "evolution"... It baffles me.

Mark

Yeah---- there will always be different thoughts. I am 100% for electric cars, recycling poop, a windmill in every park, greater tax credits for all things solar including tanning station, more marches protesting against the Tea Bag gang who have the nerve to demand a balanced budget.

Foggy
Old 07-03-2011, 07:54   #36

Why are people high-jacking this thread for their political agenda? The poles shifting has nothing to do with global warming, It is something that has have happened about every Fifty thousand years or so, according the the Geologists. But hasn't happen in the last One hundred & fifty years... So the planet is long over due in this case. Us humans and other animals living on the surface have nothing to do with it and can't stop or start said event any way. All we can do is adjust our lives to the event and move on. Gesh!!! what mush minded people that show up around here.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:00   #37

Here is a major concern.

While the North Magnetic Pole has been in Canadian territory, we have been allowing folks to use it for free.

The Russians may not be so nice and may implement a user fee.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:07   #38
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Magnetic North Shift

Quote:
Originally Posted by boasun View Post
Why are people high-jacking this thread for their political agenda? The poles shifting has nothing to do with global warming, It is something that has have happened about every Fifty thousand years or so, according the the Geologists. But hasn't happen in the last One hundred & fifty years... So the planet is long over due in this case. Us humans and other animals living on the surface have nothing to do with it and can't stop or start said event any way. All we can do is adjust our lives to the event and move on. Gesh!!! what mush minded people that show up around here.
Because a humourous veiw point is counter productive and contributes nothing to events and matters of greater importance than this feeble mind can cope with...
or so I'm often told by the "Powers that be..."
PS; The above IS a Serious Statement... no humour intended...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:12   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

The magnetic pole must have made a massive shift last night resulting in a very impressive thread drift.

For those too lazy to read the articles explaining it, the movement of the magnetic field is an entirely natural phenomena that has been occuring for as long as rocks have been around.

GPS isn't affected by the magnetic field.

It is believed that some animals use the magnetic field for navigation but experiments so far have shown that if it gives them incorrect information they are able to use other means. I think we should be as clever as a migrating turtle and manage as the deviation continues to swing. The requirement to update our charts if we wish to use compasses may become even more important.

Canadians may actually go north for the winter which will likely have a dramatic effect on our national psyche.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:31   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Laurent Giles Salar 40

FWIW: I don't know if I believe in the "sky is falling" magnetic pole shift internet blather, but I did mount an extra ships compass on my desk last month, fastened to the desk top so it can't be accidently moved. I take pictures, date and time stamped, weekly "for the record". The magnetic variation has drifted west about 2 1/2 degrees in my corner of the in the 30 days I've observed it. It is nominally 12 deg 53 min west.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:33   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris07732 View Post
The magnetic variation has drifted west about 2 1/2 degrees in my corner of the in the 30 days I've observed it. It is nominally 12 deg 53 min west.
Aside from the occupant, how much deviation is there around your desk?
Old 07-03-2011, 08:49   #42

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDog View Post
Senormechanico said:

"If you really want to help mommy earth, hold your breath as long as you can.
I guess I should have included <sarcasm> in my post. I thought the was enough.

BTW, we did build a geodesic dome from scratch in the early '70's.

Not for the hippie enviro reasons though. We just liked it for the concept.

40' diameter 2/3 sphere with cedar shakes all the way to the ground.

We had a ground level trampoline in the back yard and a genuine fire pole inside to slide down to the front door.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0740[1].jpg
Views:	158
Size:	425.2 KB
ID:	24708  

Ayn Rand
Old 07-03-2011, 08:55   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Nice spot! Holy crap, is that on Whidbey?

Old 07-03-2011, 09:13   #44

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Bothell WA on the Sammammish Slough.
That was before we got into sailing.

Ayn Rand
Old 07-03-2011, 09:17   #45

Well if you want to blame on a human cause... Then blame all the MRI machines in every Hospital. Turning those machines on causes very heavy magnetic fields that disrupts the magnetic fields of the earth... That must the reason...
Now I know the above sounds good... But if you believe that, I have some Hurricane free land in south Louisiana to sell you.

Note: all Hurricanes are free for your usage.
Closed Thread