Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2010, 16:31   #1

MacEnc- Garmin - Ipad - Confused :(

I have read around and am trying to figure out how all of this works together and trying to determine how to set things up. I have a garmin 5208 with ais and seperate radar display getting a gps feed. I also have a macbook and am thinking of getting an ipad as well for the two year trip. I downloaded MacEnc and have been playing with that.
I am trying to figure out how to integrate everything. I like being able to use the laptop to go over the course and being able to see everything on a bigger screen.
For Mac- what are people using for charts outside the US and NOAA. Are there any free options? We are planning on Caribbean and then to the Pacific for a while.
Can you integrate the Garmin 5208 somehow with what you are doing on the laptop- I'm assuming if so this would be with the nmea plug?
I have read about people using the Ipad to mirror the laptop when they are in the cockpit and am assuming this is in addition to the chartplotter?
I have been to a few sites and read some threads on here, but I have to admit that I'm fairly confused at the moment!
lawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2010, 21:24   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Thanks for starting this thread lawdawg.
I've always been a paper guy, but since the refit, have decided to add some sort of electronic charting.
Recently I've switched to a Mac Book Pro as well, so the learning curve is likly to be steep.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 04:20   #3

Boat: Victory V35 - Beach Cruiser
I use a ShipModul 42BT bluetooth multiplexer to interface the Mac wirelessly to the GPS and chartploter. I run a copy of Windows in a virtual machine using VMware Fusion and use Coastal Explorer for the charting software. Don't have an iPad yet, but that will be added when the next generation comes out.

Barry
s/v Beach Cruiser
Victory V35
Beach Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 05:08   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
So we need to load windows?
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 05:20   #5

Boat: Victory V35 - Beach Cruiser
There are Mac nav programs, but I chose to use a Windows based program that I already owned. Your choice. The multiplexer is what allows me to tie everything together.

Barry
Beach Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 06:36   #6

Boat: Leopard 42 - JAMU
I use MacENC with MapTech Charts of the Caribbean on my MacBook Pro with a bluetooth GPS puck. I love the functionality. My primary system is a Raymarine chartplotter with Navionics Gold Charts. I have a handheld Garmin Oregon 400c with Garmin Marine charts for my ditch bag, and I also use it for anchor drag monitor in my cabin at night. I decided to keep the Mac and Raymarine systems independent, for redundancy. I wouldn't want one lightning strike to take out all of my electronic navigation. And yes, I do carry paper charts.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2010, 03:57   #7

Boat: Bavaria 37
Hello..
You'll get a lot of information about crossing the atlantic with an iPad on this link (in english, french, etc...)
Crossing the Atlantic with an iPad – Navigation Mac
Jacques2
Jacques2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2010, 03:58   #8

Boat: Bavaria 37
Sorry, the link is :
Crossing the Atlantic with an iPad – Navigation Mac
Jacques2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2010, 10:48   #9

Thanks for the comments so far. Jacques- there was a lot of great info on the site!
JamuJoe- so if I understand correctly, you have to buy two sets of charts every time you go somewhere new? I love the idea of being able to work on MacEnc, just don't want the extra expense of double chart cost so I can use the Garmin 5208 in the cockpit. Any way around this?
Old 23-11-2010, 11:24   #10

Boat: ex-Tartan 40
Thanks for the link, Jacques. I love my iPad for limited access to work and family with very low power requirements. My waterproofing is an appropriately sized ziploc bag which worked like a charm on our previous boat which was, umm, not perfectly dry below.

I am just beginning to explore the options to integrate the iPad with the rest of my nav equipment and the relative strengths and weaknesses of the available software. Given the rapid release cycle of the software and the release of iOS 4.2 this week, can anyone help navigate the options?

I have a Raymarine C70 chart plotter and radar display and a Raymarine S1 autopilot. If I set up routes and waypoints on the iPad, can I pass them to the chart plotter? If so, with what software (version?) and what connections? Can I run the autopilot directly from the iPad? If so, what software and connections?

The blog mentions GRIB and AIS overlays via Wifi in iNavX. Is that capability limited to iNavX or do others offer as well? What is the presumed data source for the GRIB and AIS? Is this only while accessing Wifi near shore or retransmitted GRIB from Sat phone or SSB and AIS from VHF? Do those devices need to be able to transmit Wifi to the iPad or are there other options?

So many choices. So few brain cells. So confused. TIA
tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2010, 11:42   #11

tartansail- on the blog of Jacques2 there is a post about setting up a wifi with a separate mac or adding a wifi unit to send the signal from the multiplex, there is also a good blog on there about setting up a wireless signal on the boat to transmit the AIS to your ipad.
A lot of the other questions I am still trying to figure out.
Old 23-11-2010, 12:02   #12

Boat: ex-Tartan 40
Thanks, Lawdawg. Very helpful. The AIS wifi sounds like a great solution. I'm a little less enamored of moving data one way through the multiplexer via wifi. Seems like one of the big advantages to networking the iPad would be to have it transmit routes to the chart plotter at the helm and, potentially, run the AP. It's all a lot less useful if I can't figure out a way to get routes from the nav station to the helm.

I already have iNavX. I haven't gotten facile with routing with it though I'm getting there. I'm tempted to download some of the other nav system options and spend the weekend trying them out. I'm sure my wife won't mind if I spend the holiday holed up in my office ignoring the family.
David
tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garmin, Ipad