Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2017, 13:02   #1

Looking for navigational route to Panama

Thinking of taking a 42 foot motor yacht to Bocas Del Toro, Panama from West Palm Beach. Looking for suggestions on best route with access to diesel.
Panama Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:00   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Looking for navigational route to Panama

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Rod.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:12   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Rod View Post
Thinking of taking a 42 foot motor yacht to Bocas Del Toro, Panama from West Palm Beach. Looking for suggestions on best route with access to diesel.
I don't have an answer for you, but do have a question and an observation.

What kind of range does your current tankage allow?

Mentioning that could help other members make better suggestions on stops for refueling.

Be aware that one route "going West over the top of Cuba" will have you going against the Gulf Stream current, in the Strait of Florida and the Yucatán Strait or Channel, so factor that into range calculations.

I will attach a simplified illustration of the effect the Caribbean current can have. Something to keep in mind.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5531.GIF
Views:	123
Size:	287.5 KB
ID:	153529  
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:01   #4

Very good point! The fuel tank holds 400 gallons of diesel. I was thinking of going along the top western side of Cuba as the distance between fuel depots was a factor. Yes I would be working against the current but what other options do I have?
Panama Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:09   #5

Boat: Nonsuch 30

I think it would worth some time to look at the pilot chart for the month you are thinking of going and try to figure out a way point between Florida and Yucatan that would keep you out of the worst of the current. From the mini-chart presented here leaving from somewhere like Naples and going due west before turning south might make sense. Once you get to Yucatan fuel should not be an issue. Along the coast of central America keeping relatively close to shore gets you a counter current to help.

Another key question is what is your fuel usage rate at various speeds?
Old 06-08-2017, 12:21   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Whichever route you take, I hope you will document your voyage, and return here to post the results, including your route chosen, time of voyage, weather, fuel used, stops made, and any tips or other observations. I would like to see that, for future reference, and it could help others in the future. .
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 15:42   #7

Boat: Seafarer36c

Follow the coast from MX all the way. Longest legs would probably be from Key West to Isla Mujeres, MX and then from Roatan to Providencia.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 17:59   #8

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Specific boat? Range?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 18:19   #9

Pick up a copy of the "Rain's Guide". Lots of good info for passage planning along much of your route. It would make a good planning guide for you. Then get cruising guides specific to other areas on this route for more detailed coverage.

"Cruising Ports: the Central American Route (AKA "Rains Guide"). Excellent guide to passage planning between cruising ports. Very good publication. It is not intended to be a "cruising guide" per se, but does also include a fair amount of information supplemental to its purpose. It's primary value is for planning routes between cruising ports."
Old 07-08-2017, 18:41   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Be aware that one route "going West over the top of Cuba" will have you going against the Gulf Stream current, in the Strait of Florida and the Yucatán Strait or Channel, so factor that into range calculations.

I will attach a simplified illustration of the effect the Caribbean current can have. Something to keep in mind.
You can avoid much of FL Straits current by working your way thru the Keys to the Dry Tortugas and then S toward the W tip of Cuba. But...hard to avoid the Yucatan Current when making for Isla Mujeres (the usual next stop).

From Isla you can break the run up with stops along the Mexican and Belizean coasts. From Belize make for the Bay Islands, but avoid the mainland of Honduras by MANY miles (lots of security issues there). Hoping off relatively far N from Belize will keep you well clear of mainland Honduras.

From the Bay Islands the next usual stop is the Vivarillos cayes. A beautiful place, but...unfortunately there have been some serious security issues on the Nicaraguan Banks in recent times (see www.noonsite.com for more details).

From there to Providencia...another awesome place...no security issues there that Ive heard of (I was last there in 2012).

From Providencia you can make the short hop to San Andreas (good fishing on this hop). There are also a few cool stops in the area like the Albuquerque Cayes.

Once S of 11 N on this route, you are in power boat waters...the Trades fade out and its usually smooth waters and little wind all the way to Bocas.
Old 07-08-2017, 18:53   #11

As Steady said, there are some powerful currents on this route, and a lot of more minor ones to bedevil you too. To learn about the major ones, Google "Florida Current" (in the FL Straits) , "Gulf Loop Current" and "Yucatan Current".

Below is a weather route I did for friends sailing direct from Ft. Meyers to the Rio Dulce earlier this year. This is definately a sail boat route (red line), unless youve got serious range, but it gives a good overview of these three major currents and how to avoid them. As suggested you can run in close along the MX and Belize coasts to avoid the axis of the Yucatan current...and maybe even pick up a little favorable counter current.

Also an image that shows a larger regional view of currents. This one clearly shows the 3 major currents mentioned above plus the S end of the Gulf Stream.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gulf Currents.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	153630
Old 07-08-2017, 19:04   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Rod View Post
Very good point! The fuel tank holds 400 gallons of diesel. I was thinking of going along the top western side of Cuba as the distance between fuel depots was a factor. Yes I would be working against the current but what other options do I have?
GPH burn at conservative cruising RPMs?
Old 07-08-2017, 19:13   #13

Once in Panamanian waters, currents get interesting too, but they are a bigger concern for E-W routes along Panama than the N-S run from Providencia.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:09   #14

Boat: Seafarer36c

I would jerry can the boat for the trip to Isla insted of depending on getting fuel along the north coast of Cuba. We have done this trip twice and the worst spot is just north of Belize. You can get close enough to to the coast line in the day light and keep moving but at night it would be a little sketchy that close in. We had full sail up and were going backwards at .9 knots, we were about 5 miles off shore that night.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:01   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
I would jerry can the boat for the trip to Isla insted of depending on getting fuel along the north coast of Cuba. We have done this trip twice and the worst spot is just north of Belize. You can get close enough to to the coast line in the day light and keep moving but at night it would be a little sketchy that close in. We had full sail up and were going backwards at .9 knots, we were about 5 miles off shore that night.
Yeah, just popping into Cuba on presumably USA vessel and USA Citizen, could be fraught w problems, but you could fuel up in KW...run out to the Dry Tortugas and wait for a window there.

Of course, all depends on his range...which we still dont know.

Tags
navigation, Panama, route