Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 05:05   #1

Boat: Gozzard pilot house 36
Send a message via AIM to nanabird
looking for best route

We're heading to Abaco from Key Largo in May. What's the best route? From Nassau, going north towards Hope town?
nanabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:23   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Re: looking for best route

If the Abaco's are your ultimate destination,why not go N to West End and cross the Little Bahama Bank,lot easier than crossing the Big Bahama Bank and having the wind on your nose all the way.Have the Gulf Stream behind you the whole way up,or come N a bit up the ICW and cross from Lauderdale or Palm Beach inlet.If you want to go to Nassau,then to Royal Harbor.Leave Royal Harbor early outside to Little Harbor or N bar channell,Make sur you have settled weather for both of these inlets can be dangerous.My route would be to West End accross the Little Bahama Bank.
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:38   #3

Boat: Gozzard pilot house 36
Send a message via AIM to nanabird

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanabird View Post
We're heading to Abaco from Key Largo in May. What's the best route? From Nassau, going north towards Hope town?
I thought that, also...going up to West End and then across, but have been having a debate about it. How dissicult is it to navigate across the Little Bahamas Banks?
nanabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:39   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, nanabird.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:09   #5
Marine Service Provider

Piec of Cake,leave the cut at West End up to iNDIAN Cay,Last time I,was there they had markers going onto the Bank thru the shallow part,if you stay on reccomend compass heading 6 ft depth accross the shallows.Set a course for Mangrove Cay anchor overnight if late in the day or proceede on to Great Sail decent anchorage,then sail on to Angle Fish Point turn south your in the Abaco's.Just south of Angle fish point is Cooperstown where fuel and basic things can be found,get there on a Friday afternoon always a Great Party on the dock,You can Anchor accross at Powells Cay,stay out a bit the holding is better and you are away from the charter boat Folk's from there south line of site navagation and lot's of Great stops.If you follow your guid book it' a piece of cake.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:19   #6
Marine Service Provider

A quick addition to my earlier post,Year's back I was singlehanding from Fl.I left Lakeworth inlet around 2100 hours made anight crossing,cleared customs at West End got going again around 1100 hourskeep going till around 2200 hours droped the hook at Great Sail outside the harbor as the weather was settled.Left Great Sail at 0400 hours droppe the anchor in Marsh Harbor around 1800 hours that night.My Son was flying in from Atlanta the next day,had to be there.The big advantage to crossing the Little Bahama Bank is getting out of the weather if something does develope.Hope I have given you some choices Safe Sailing
Old 05-01-2012, 09:34   #7

Stacy and I did the Berrys and the Abacos leaving from Key Largo last year. We left in Feb at 6:00 am and were at south Riding Rock by 4:00 pm. Then we had a great passage across Great Bahama Banks during the night and got into Great harbor Key in the Am the next day. It was a very pleasant passage. The Berry Islands are great and the passage up to the Abacos from there is an easy 12 hr trip up to Little Harbor. Enjoy
stacy is offline   Reply With Quote