Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2007, 16:31   #1

Long Island Sound - NYC

hello everyone.
I am new pretty new to the board and sailing. My Father and I purchases our first sail boat this season. It is a 36 monohull will a 27hp diesel engine. Our mast height 47ft. We are currently docked at Stamford and plan to store it in West Haverstraw for the winter. We are good with handling the boat. We have had a lot of time to practice and we are comfy behind the wheel. (but still have a lot to learn) We are also good with navigation and reading charts. (still a lot to learn with this as well) Our main concern is the East River. Getting into it and traveling it. It is obviously hard to say if we are ready for it or not. But what do you guys recommend? Whats the difficulty rate of it? Would you say it should be done by someone thats an expert? Would our 27hp engine be ok for the tides we will face in there?
turkish6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 18:23   #2

Boat: De Kleer Fraser 30
You should be fine. Make sure your engine is running smoothly, check to catch the tide as you go through Hell's Gate (which I believe was named when there were no engines. Hence the terminology if you lost your wind), keep a sharp eye out for railroad ties and other hazards floating where you don't expect them, and enjoy the ride. And don't forget a camera!

Patrick
psteele235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 02:34   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
See also the previous discussion “Navigating HELL GATE” at: cruisersforum.com/forums/f121/navigating-hell-gate-9768.html
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...gate-9768.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 02:51   #4

Boat: C&C 110 36.4' Music
Hi Turk
Done the east river and the trip to Haverstraw many times. No problem! You must time the ebb or flood right and you'll blow right out into NY bay and then Flood up the Hudson. Contact me off list and I can help you with the right times.
Paul
PRGuttmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 10:03   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Turk, it is the currents and not the tides you will have to worry about. Tide is the vertical movement of the water and just affects depth (which you'll have plenty of) and the associated "sideways" movement of the water is current. Which is a problem in the East River.

I hope you are not planning to go UP the East River to join the Hudson, you must go down to the Battery and around Manhattan. The bridge clearances/openings on the north part of the East River are essentially impossible for sailboats.

A copy of Eldridge, the yellow/orange colored book available in any local chandlery, will give you tide and current information for the whole trip, along with a lot of other good information.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 16:52   #6

I do plan on going around manhattan. I have heard that that bridges are to low for sail boats. How about down the east river. how are the bridges?
Old 03-10-2007, 19:09   #7
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

A chartbook would be good insurance, you can go aground on the way up the Hudson as well.

The main channel west of Roosevelt Island will accomodate you. The channel east of it is obstructed by one lower bridge and by the work on placing the power turbines in the water. You'll need to check that clearance height and the status of the turbine work if you try to duck down the east channel (which has no commercial traffic to vie with).
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 20:40   #8

I do have a chartbook however it is not with me at the moment. It's at the boat. I will be out there tomorrow and will pick it up so that I can plan my route
Old 03-10-2007, 22:46   #9

Boat: Westsail 32
I have done this trip from the Sound to Haverstraw many times with a gaffed rigged 24 footer running a single cylinder diesel. Depending on wind conditions the passage from the Throgs Neck Bridge to the East River should take about 30min at about 5 knots. Time your run so you are getting the last of the flood tide from the sound and hit Hells Gate on the slack. Not a bad idea to motor sail if wind is favorable so if the motor conks you can still make headway. Also always have an emergency anchor ready for heaving at a moments notice should it be required. My boat is on the hard at the Haverstraw Marina, if this is your final destination I would be more than happy to help you with anything you may require.

Cheers,

CB
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 16:00   #10

Boat: De Kleer Fraser 30
You won't get under the bridges over the Harlem River. That's why you have to take the long way and go down the East River and around the Battery at the tip of Manhattan and then up the Hudson past the West Side.

Patrick
psteele235 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Long Island, long island sound, nyc