Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2009, 15:33   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vancouver 27
Logbook

I know this topic has been done before but does anyone have a logbook I can print out.
Old 27-07-2009, 16:07   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Not sure ewhat you mean. Log books are what you make of them. Years later it's the stuff you would want to remember but don't.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2009, 16:40   #3

Boat: Catalina 34 - "Points North"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
Not sure ewhat you mean. Log books are what you make of them. Years later it's the stuff you would want to remember but don't.
I'm guessing he means a blank template.
Old 27-07-2009, 18:07   #4

Boat: Lagoon 37
here are a couple other folks have posted
Attached Files
File Type: xls Daily Log.xls (19.0 KB, 14235 views)
File Type: xls Passage Plan template 2.xls (18.5 KB, 6041 views)
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2009, 15:35   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vancouver 27
Yes it's a blank template I'm after, but something that looks nice not just a spreadsheet.
Old 29-07-2009, 02:00   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Mark Melchior offers this simple log template:
http://www.texassailor.com/log.pdf

Tim Whelan offers this simple log template:
http://www.tgw.net/sailing/voyagelog/voyagelog.pdf

The USCG Log Book Template:
www.marineconsulting.us/LogbookTemplate.doc

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2009, 06:06   #7

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
I have used a simple black and white composition book, have been for 20 years. They are great to go back and look at. You can enter whatever you need, use them for maintaince, spares parts, PMs etc. Make it whatever you want. And they are cheap...
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:45   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Mike View Post
I have used a simple black and white composition book...
I tried making up custom logs for myself over the years, and also ended up just using a plain ruled notebook. I keep a list of key information in the front (MMSI and other numbers, tank volumes, etc), along with a list of reminders of things to log. Logs are different for day trips, races, cruises and other items, and free form allows me to keep custom entries.

I like the Moleskin notebooks for boating (Moleskines.com - Moleskine Notebooks, Planners, Journals and Sketchbooks) -- legend has it they worked for Hemingway too. They have quality paper with good covers, a ribbon page marker, an elastic band closure that keeps a pen inside, and a pocket in the back for important loose items, like boat's papers and receipts. Their red colour is easy to spot in the boat. The red 5.25 x 8.25 inch size makes a good logbook that I keep down below, and the black 3.5 x 5.5 inch pocket size is perfect for tracking the myriad of details a boater has to remember between deck, engine room, galley, chandlery, and home.
clearsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 11:25   #9

Boat: Grand Soleil 42R
iPhone has logbook software called YourSail Logbook.
Old 15-08-2009, 16:39   #10
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
I keep rolling my own for some reason for my personal boat. I use Excel to format it and print it out double sided and put it into a spiral binder. I tend to collect lots of info on my hourly log entries and have rather large penmanship so I generally use 2 pages/day. The log has 3 parts: navigation section; engineering section; and notes.

Since the log is a legal document, I have a separate journal (on waterproof paper) for jotting down ideas, comments, observations, and other info that might not be appropriate for an official document.

A look at any nautical book store will show lots of formats. On the boats I captain, I'm limited by maritime requirements for both the deck and engineering logs, and while they're nice they're also very expensive and large.
Old 17-08-2009, 02:18   #11

Send a message via Skype™ to phiggins
I use SeaClear which has a nice feature that allows you to create log entries whenever you want by pressing F7 or automatically (like when you reach a waypoint). Each log entry contains the date/time your lat/lon, total miles you've logged and whatever you enter.

I wrote a program that takes the Seaclear log file and formats it into a Google Earth KML (or GPX) file that allows me to send it to friends and keep for my own record.

Attached is an example of the KML file. If you have Google Earth installed, you can download it and double click on it and it will bring up Google Earth. If you click on the points it will popup the log entry.

Probably not a legal logbook but it is very convenient to use since I have the SeaClear running all the time on an XO computer which draws very little current.
Old 17-08-2009, 04:37   #12
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
Phil -

Thanks for the link. I'm not a fan of electronic logging programs as there's always the chance the computer will fail and I don't carry much of a printer. I also never seem to be dry enough to chance sitting at the keyboard.

Still, it has a lot of potential. I can see using the program at anchor to let folks know the route I took, where I am, and what happened.
Old 17-08-2009, 07:04   #13

Boat: Island Packet 31 (35'), Black Squirrel
Why have a log book?

I see great advantages to having an electronic version - no paper to lose, easy entries to read, etc. Some can be seen in real time by friends and in the worst cases, it can be forwarded when a disaster strikes. (e.g. Free Ships Log ). Also, it is nice to be able to read/remember "What's that I was going to buy when I got into town?"

However, as electronics and the ocean are not great friends, there will be a point where the ocean wins and you could be without your log book or access to online site repositories.

Then there is the legal issue. If you want your log to be usable as evidence in your defense, it must meet certain criteria that most electronic versions fail to do. It must be unalterable without visual markers. In essence, if you tear out a page or "blackout" a select set of entries, the log is open for speculation. A very good and easily understood explanation was posted here a few years ago. Look for David M's comments here http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...book-9047.html
partially paraphrased here:
Quote:
1. It must be in a bound book and the pages must be obvious if removed.
2. Never remove a page from the log book.
3. Never black out entries - a single line through mistakes or changes with your initials.
4. Keep it simple - date, time, location, shipboard items of note (e.g. MOB drill, or safety issues)
5. Extraneous entries should be avoided.
Could an electronic version meet these requirements? Yes. They would need a key infrastructure to validate the person making entries, force annotations instead of edits/delete, and be housed under a secure authority. Nothing too much to deal with, other than certification by the USCG or marine authority (which could be a lot to deal with). I am unaware of any that do.

One other thing to note: log books, electronic or paper can be seized "as is, where is" during an event at which a legal authority is on site. This means if they ask where your logs are and you say your iphone, or computer, or scribbled on the back of postcards, - they take them. In the case of electronic versions this is the device. (Chain of evidence rules) Rarely do they get returned in anything a human would consider a "reasonable time."

They can also be called into evidence in a civil trial. So, reading 15 days of drunken debauchery prior to the entry that all was well, until the "other guy hit you" - is probably not in your best interest. If you must write those down, put it in something else and point only to the log for ship activities.

For me? A bound paper version with a waterproof box with silica for storage. (Although, I have been curious about waterproof paper too - Water Proof Log Books - Technologically superior synthetic paper accepts pencil, non-water soluble inks, normal ball point pens and permanent markers )

Kefaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2009, 08:13   #14
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Himself has used spiral notepads of waterproof paper for years for field notes for business. (legal records for him)

They work great.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 18:43   #15
Van

Boat: Corribee,Mk2,8m,Breezer
pirate Blueseas Logbook

Cacique.
Tired of ruling copy books and never able to find what I wanted on a shop shelf I decided to make my own log book about 2 years ago. It may or may not be suitable for your needs but you can download a copy at my web site. The hosted version is tailored for the tidal waters of the UK and Ireland, but feel free to modify it for your own area. This log book is also currently being used by two sail training schools in my area.

[EDIT: Feel free to send Van a PM for the URL of his website. TaoJones]
Van is offline   Reply With Quote