Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 08:16   #1

Boat: Endeavor, ketch, 43 - Panacea
Send a message via Skype™ to CaptPaul-
Local Information - John's Pass, Treasure Island, FL

Hi:

I'm looking for some information on John's Pass in Florida. I'm thinking of taking my 43 foot Endeavor to John's Pass and staying at Don's Docks.

I don't see any sailboats in that area. Is there a problem with draft, the draw bridge, currents, tides etc.? It looks to be a great place to jump out on the Gulf of Mexico and sail.

Are there any of you that may have some local information about the area that can you can share?

Thanks in advance for any details that could help me make a decision.
CaptPaul- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:29   #2

Boat: Bristol 34
Re: Local Information - John's Pass, Treasure Island, FL

I was there a few months ago and enjoyed the area. I anchored in Boca Ciega Bay and took the ICW north, so did not exit at the pass.

There are several folks from the area on the forum and I'm sure you'll get more specifics, but here is a synopsis:

Reported July 8, 2012 that Markers 1 and 2 have now been replaced. They are now floating buoys.Reported July 1, 2012, markers 1 and 2 are missing due to TS Debby. The extra tide seems to have cleaned out the channel. Use the channel entrance and remaining markers.Johns Pass between Treasure Island and Sand Key, affords passage for large and small craft from the Gulf to the N part of Boca Ciega Bay. A marked channel leads from the Gulf of Mexico through Johns Pass thence N to the Intracoastal Waterway. In March 2006, the controlling depth in the entrance channel was 6.1 feet (8.3 feet at midchannel) to the bridge over the pass, thence 7.2 feet (8.9 feet at midchannel) to Daybeacon 8, thence 5.3 feet (5.8 feet at midchannel) to the intersection with the Intracoastal Waterway. The channel is reportedly subject to considerable shoaling between Daybeacons 3 and 5. The entrance to the channel is marked by a light, and the channel is marked by lights and daybeacons. A natural channel just inside the pass leads E to the Intracoastal Waterway; it is marked at its E end by a daybeacon. In Johns Pass the flood current sets NE at an average velocity of 2.0 knots and ebbs SW at an average velocity of 1.5 knots.State Route 699 highway bridge over the pass has a bascule span with a clearance of 25 feet at the center. The bridgetender monitors and works on VHF-FM channel 9; call sign WQZ 213. In May 2006, a replacement bridge was under construction with a design clearance of 28 feet.Numerous fishing piers are near Johns Pass Bridge.Sand Key is a 12-mile-long barrier island that extends from Johns Pass to Clearwater Pass. The island has been developed as a winter resort and has several well-developed communities.Prominent features: The 1,000-foot fishing pier at Redington Shores, large apartment hotels with penthouses on the island, and the water tank at the Veterans Hospital at Bay Pines are all conspicuous.
rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:46   #3

Re: Local Information - John's Pass, Treasure Island, FL

No problems that I'm aware of, though I haven't been through that specific area for several months. Here's a good website for current information...
Cruiser's Net » WEST FL – All Cruising News
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote