Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2006, 11:20   #1

Boat: feeling kerie 10:40
Send a message via AIM to uncle_fred Send a message via MSN to uncle_fred Send a message via Yahoo to uncle_fred Send a message via Skype™ to uncle_fred
linux or xp

sorry if this is in the wrong place but which is better for navigation charts and GPS linux or xp anybody got any tips would be thankfull for all coments
Old 20-08-2006, 12:51   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Which is better? Neither / both. I don't know of any navigation applications that will run under Linux. It's not that it couldn't be done just that it hasn't. All the ones I know of will run under Windows and only a small few would require WinXP.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2006, 12:55   #3

Send a message via AIM to uncle_fred Send a message via MSN to uncle_fred Send a message via Yahoo to uncle_fred Send a message via Skype™ to uncle_fred
thank you for the answer though i use both systems and just wanted to know if they run under linux i have a lot of problems what i need doesnt run under linux and i couldnt find any gps or charts that do either thanks anyway
Old 20-08-2006, 16:35   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Come on Fred, you know the story of LINUX. Yet another flavor of UNIX clone, and the best thing is that if any software you want doesn't exist, YOU and your best friends can sit down and write an open-source version overnight.<G>

So if there's nothing out there that will work with the charts you want...time to start coding!<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2006, 04:26   #5
cruiser

It's not cheap, but if you want the more robust OS (rather than a Microsoft product) and would like to use free ENC charts, why not use FreeBSD with a nice Aqua interface over it? (AKA: OS X on a Mac or PC)

I use MacENC and it's never once crashed (neither has my OS in 4 years).

Plus, I don't have to even think about viruses, although a couple have been written for this platform. The vast majority of those ones that can be installed by visiting websites are geared toward Microsoft OSes.

www.macenc.com

Good stuff! -and the support is great. I called one time to ask about a feature and the guy spent a lot of time and effort to help me out.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2006, 05:14   #6

thanks for the replys but i have heard of that mac and looks good but dont think will change to it leave it with xp at the momment
Old 21-08-2006, 05:30   #7

I use GPSNavx on an iBook G4 for navigation. You can also purchase ( don't remember the price, but it was cheap) a CD of charts. If you have an apple contact them. It is a good program, and not expensive.
Golden Isles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2006, 17:03   #8
cruiser

Yeah, in addition to the ENCs (free downloads of the latest charts directly from NOAA), the MacENC folks throw in the raster (traditional) charts of the entire USA for like $60.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
linux