Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2013, 23:21   #61

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Lets Talk Electronic Charts

Ahh theres so many more going to the Islands ya really can't make a mistake LOL
Old 27-07-2013, 07:09   #62

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
FYI: Regarding the windows XP remarks... My XP pc has been nothing but problems over the past couple of years... total crap. My newer computer with Wndows 7... not a problem except with the graphics card... whatever that is.
XP here SP3 on a cheapo netbook. Continuous hard use and plenty of time online. No issues. Stable as a rock.

The only thing I miss is a wifi AP ability to plug our Android tablet into our Win machine. Win 8 has it.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 07:46   #63

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Just use a $20 router connected to 12V.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 12:54   #64

Boat: Grampian 26, Mercury 15, Formosa 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikFinn View Post

Hi Ryan,
is that the Xperia Tablet "Z"?
Did you ever try the Navionics charts on it?
Erik

PS. I asked about the tablet here
Hi Erik!
Where I'm at currently I haven't had to try navonics yet. The Marine Navigator software is 13$ and covered the entire US with the NOAA charts and has a perfect record so far (Knock on Hull) I use the Xperia S, it's the 9.4 inch screen version of the Xperia Z. Good screen resolution, more than enough memory to handle my custom skinned os, and does everything else a good tablet can do. Between the Xperia, and my kyocera hydro (Same software and also waterproof) it makes for a pretty good setup.

-Ryan
Ryan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 14:23   #65
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Ahh theres so many more going to the Islands ya really can't make a mistake LOL
You haven't met my apprentice... he taught me never to rule out a mistake.

Ever.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 14:34   #66

I use INAx and like it. it is pretty simple to use. I use an inverter to charge while the diesel is running. I have a laptop with an add on GPS puck. I don't remember the name of that program but it was free and runs on windows Vista.

the biggest problem with either system I'd that NOAA charts do not include the inland rivers and lakes. I live on Lake Barkley so I can not use it at home. but my sailboat is in saltwater so I have charts for that.
White island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 18:46   #67

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan H View Post
Hi Erik!
Where I'm at currently I haven't had to try navonics yet. The Marine Navigator software is 13$ and covered the entire US with the NOAA charts and has a perfect record so far (Knock on Hull) I use the Xperia S, it's the 9.4 inch screen version of the Xperia Z. Good screen resolution, more than enough memory to handle my custom skinned os, and does everything else a good tablet can do. Between the Xperia, and my kyocera hydro (Same software and also waterproof) it makes for a pretty good setup.

-Ryan
Just returned from a shopping trip to Singapore and the boat is now about 100 pounds / 50kg heavier...
I looked at the Lowrance Elite 7 combo (the most expensive Elite 7 model) in Singapore and the price was SGD 1700 /USD 1330 (taxfree) so about twice the price in US (USD 699). Didn't buy it. Seems like the plotters here are about 2 - 2.5 the US price. So I'm now thinking to get a tablet and paper charts only as for the moment I do coastal day cruising only. I find the Sony Experia Tablet Z appealing as it is waterproof.
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 22:05   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Windows XP Pro is a dinosaur in the museum. There is no need to back that up, it is obvious.
XP runs well on many machines that bog down with a newer OS. I've reverted to XP on a few machines that came from the factory with W-7 & gotten much better performance. I also run it in CNC machines that work on proprietary software that is not compatible with a newer OS. XP also gives me fewer glitches when trying to run certain industrial programming languages like RSlogix5000 or Step7.

For some specific applications, I still go back to W-98. Direct hardware control can be useful in certain circumstances, like troubleshooting networks with bit sniffers.

If you want to talk about a museum piece OS, we can have a chat about Pr1meos or Multix. Both were brilliant in their day, but that day IS long gone.

I'm not trying to say that the newer OS's don't have their advantages. I do think that it is a bit overreaching to say that today, XP belongs no place but in a museum.
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 22:09   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
XP here SP3 on a cheapo netbook. Continuous hard use and plenty of time online. No issues. Stable as a rock.

The only thing I miss is a wifi AP ability to plug our Android tablet into our Win machine. Win 8 has it.

b.
Proxoid may be able to bridge that gap, if you can find someone that is competent working with ADB.
Old 04-08-2013, 22:16   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbiJim View Post
XP runs well on many machines that bog down with a newer OS. I've reverted to XP on a few machines that came from the factory with 7 & gotten much better performance.

For some specific applications, I still go back to W-98. Direct hardware control can be useful in certain circumstances, like troubleshooting networks with bit sniffers.
My Windows 7 crashes with my OpenCPN. Neighbor runs OpenCPN with XP without problems. I'm now considering installing XP for use with OpenCPN.
Old 04-08-2013, 22:46   #71

Quote:
My Windows 7 crashes with my OpenCPN. Neighbor runs OpenCPN with XP without problems. I'm now considering installing XP for use with OpenCPN.
The big hassle with reverting to XP is that on some machines you will not be able to find some of the necessary XP drivers for things like audio cards, screens, etc. Old OS drivers do not exist for some new hardware.
Old 04-08-2013, 22:59   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbiJim View Post
The big hassle with reverting to XP is that on some machines you will not be able to find some of the necessary XP drivers for things like audio cards, screens, etc. Old OS drivers do not exist for some new hardware.
Never dun it but I believe I could install XP to my 1 year old Win7 laptop? On a separate partition of my hard disk so this partition would only have XP stuff (read Open CPN) and use this "XP" partition of the HD only for Open CPN?
This way I could get by without buying another laptop and not worry about charging, storage, etc.
You think this would be ok? or a bad idea..?
Old 04-08-2013, 23:44   #73
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Quote:

Never dun it but I believe I could install XP to my 1 year old Win7 laptop? On a separate partition of my hard disk so this partition would only have XP stuff (read Open CPN) and use this "XP" partition of the HD only for Open CPN?
This way I could get by without buying another laptop and not worry about charging, storage, etc.
You think this would be ok? or a bad idea..?
Before doing all that it might be worth having an ask on the opencpn forum why your win7 is crashing. Both win7 & opencpn are pretty stable so sounds like it might be something else under the bonnet. If it is a bug then the opencpn authors will be grateful to find out about it and probably fix it straight away.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:23   #74

Boat: 78ft ex racing catamaran

What are the best options for Asia with PC and Andriod ?
damianham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:30   #75

Boat: Bavaria 38
Send a message via Skype™ to Vlad70

Quote:
Originally Posted by damianham View Post
What are the best options for Asia with PC and Andriod ?
Hi!

unfortunately - this is most often asked, but still not correct question

best for what?
- use as primary nav?
- use as backup nav?
- use just for planning WP and find Marinas information
- do You need integration between PC and android?
- cheapest?
- witch charts are using before? Navionics, C-Map, Garmin or just paper
- and many other

Regards, Vladimir
Vlad70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts