Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2013, 01:54   #46
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordwedman View Post

How about number 3, you take it ashore, drop it and the screen breaks. Or the same happens on the boat. I would be interested in hearing why it is so much easier to use tban a chartplotter, but maybe the Garmins are a bit old?
It's Gorilla-glass, doesn't break that easily, strongest glass in the world. But if you drop things, they can break. Same for sextant, binoculars, handheld Garmin etc. If I would drop stuff, I would attach lanyards to them.

Chart plotters and GPS navigators are old and tired tech. They are on the brink of being replaced by the new generations of tablets. There will be more and more waterproof versions, standarized formats and mounts etc. the software is there already; even MaxSea and Nobeltec TimeZero are on iPad now.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 02:38   #47
cruiser

Re: Lets Talk Electronic Charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I would rather have my iPad than most chart plotters in use on boats I see. Pretty reliable too, never seen a failure yet.
I'm with the Jedi on this one. We use our ipads with INavx 99% of the time. No failures to date, and if it did... we have a second Ipad as back up along with our PC with Maxsea/Nobeltec for fine detail and weather forecasts, a Furuno chartplotter which never gets used and of course paper charts of where ever we're going.... because it's what my wife prefers to use.

But, the ipad beats all the others for ease of use... just make sure it's the expensive ipad with lots of memory and the built in GPS antenna.

I never sit at the helm, I just kick back during passages and take my ipad out of the dodger pocket every 10 minutes or so to double check our position. I'm presently installing the Nobeltec app which will allow the ipad to view the PC screen and control the content. 3D animation, overlaid with weather etc. Chartplotters can't compare for the price.

I just met a fellow in Cartegena, Spain who was stranded when his chartplotter didn't have the proper chip... the chip cost 300 euros and would take three days to arrive. How is that more convenient that an ipad that has all the European charts for only $75 and can be downloaded at any internet cafe?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 02:46   #48

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post

I'm with the Jedi on this one. We use our ipads with INavx 99% of the time. No failures to date, and if it did... we have a second Ipad as back up along with our PC with Maxsea for fine detail and weather forecasts, a Furuno chartplotter which never gets used and of course paper charts of where ever we're going.... because it's what my wife prefers to use.

But, the ipad beats all the others for ease of use... just make sure it's the expensive ipad with lots of memory and the built in GPS antenna.

I never sit at the helm, I just kick back during passages and take my ipad out of the dodger pocket every 10 minutes or so to double check our position.
Totally agree!

We have been using our ipad with navionics for 18 months. I have put it in a lifeproof case which makes them much stronger than any chart plotter and totally waterproof.

https://trekkingthesea.blogspot.com.au/
surfingminniwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 03:41   #49

Boat: Grampian 26, Mercury 15, Formosa 41
I mostly use a Sony Xperia tablet with Marine Navigator. Zero issues so far after about 6 months of use nearly every day. It has every US chart I'll ever need plus a few thousand i'Il never likely use, its water resistant , anti glare, shock resistant, viewable day or night, with a 10 inch screen, and a battery that'll last about a day and a half with the GPS and Marine Navigator program both running.
Ryan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 04:57   #50

Boat: a sailing boat

I am using a plain Android tablet and I do not find it any more difficult to read than our Garmin. I think actually both screens suck in direct daylight.

As re interface, to me, touchscreen is very, very poor alternative for a rocker and a couple of buttons. I think optimum would be a tablet with some sort of basic w-proof BT keypad.

A friend's smartphone has an OLED screen. This one seems easier to read in the open. Also the e-ink screens are fine but they are only now becoming colour.

Anybody has experience with an OLED tablet in full daylight?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 05:13   #51

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Using Win 8 Pro on a Samsung ATIV 700 convertible tablet/laptop running Coastal Explorer at the nav table, using NOAA RNC and vector charts - easily updated whenever I have a broadband connection. Using Lowrance CP but bought the Navionics chip for it (the built-in charts are awful and dangerous due to errors and omissions, imho) and Navionics chips come with update subscription too. I own an iPad but don't run any nav software on it (no need, but I would download an app to back up my CP if my PC failed while on a cruise) but I think whatever platform you run should be stable and allow easy updates for charts. PCs, tablets and aftermarket chips make that easy and the prices are coming down on both hardware and software, along with electronic charts too.

As for the digital vs. paper argument, paper lost years ago. Even the US Navy has gone all digital. Redundant independent systems trump paper, are more usable, and up to date than outdated charts that have been stowed away as backup. Arguably less expensive too.

As for XP, IF you go online with it (even if just to update charts) there is NO WAY to make it stable and secure. There are too many known design exploits and all the patching and AV software in the world won't cure that. Microsoft has announced end of life many times but the big Corp users pushed back, but they have now drawn the line for next spring. Its an albatross and if you really want to run fast on a low-resource machine with a modern Windows OS you'll find Win8 Home or Pro is far faster than Win7.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 05:29   #52

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

To add to my prior post, I still see the need for a CP at the helm due to weather proofing, and sunlight , and integration with radar/ other sensors at the helm. But I think ruggedized tablets can replace them once the connection issues are solved. CPs use proprietary watertight connections. You can solve most of the tablet connection issues with wireless but there's still a power cord needed for long term use.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 05:50   #53

Boat: Corbin Ketch 39ft

Quote:
Windows XP Pro ?! really? And you're going to take to sea?
Been sailing for the last 12 years with xp pro, crossed the Pacific with it, still going strong with opencpn. Don't denigrate reliabity for bells and whistles
Jubilee39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 05:55   #54
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubilee39 View Post

Been sailing for the last 12 years with xp pro, crossed the Pacific with it, still going strong with opencpn. Don't denigrate reliabity for bells and whistles
How dare you change my words that way and make it seem a direct quote? What is wrong is that you remove a word to make my post sound rude?!

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 07:43   #55

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
lots of embedded XP systems out there Nick , Furuno NN2D for one.

Dave
The NN3D plotter uses WindowsCE, not XP. The BB model uses XP, though.

We have a netbook computer running on stripped down XPpro and used solely for charting and navigating. It is rock solid, boots up in seconds and runs fast on the 4yr old 1st gen atom processor and measly 1gb memory.

As for support, on the very rare occasions that the computer sees the internet, Microsoft pushes a bazillion updates to it. If they stop support completely, it would not matter at all, since it is running just fine as is dedicated to its only task.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 08:42   #56
cruiser

FYI: Regarding the windows XP remarks... My XP pc has been nothing but problems over the past couple of years... total crap. My newer computer with Wndows 7... not a problem except with the graphics card... whatever that is.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 21:37   #57

Boat: Corbin Ketch 39ft

Quote:
How dare you change my words that way and make it seem a direct quote? What is wrong is that you remove a word to make my post sound rude?!
Apologies for leaving out the word "that", don't want to be like msnbc. I was just commenting on your apparent disdain for XP. Seemed a bit supercilous to me.
You commented on Ipad which is okay but IMHO no better than navionics on Android. I find it a good backup, accurate and handy to have in the cockpit or to discuss destinations in a cruisers gathering.
Joe
Jubileee
Cebu, Philippines
Jubilee39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 21:49   #58

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Good Lord !!! Me thinks some folks forgot about ALL the semi-sailor- hippies, who got to Hawyee by following the con trails of jets LOL just had to throw that in !!
Old 26-07-2013, 22:09   #59

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan H View Post
I mostly use a Sony Xperia tablet with Marine Navigator. Zero issues so far after about 6 months of use nearly every day. It has every US chart I'll ever need plus a few thousand i'Il never likely use, its water resistant , anti glare, shock resistant, viewable day or night, with a 10 inch screen, and a battery that'll last about a day and a half with the GPS and Marine Navigator program both running.
Hi Ryan,
is that the Xperia Tablet "Z"?
Did you ever try the Navionics charts on it?
Erik

PS. I asked about the tablet here
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 22:14   #60
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Good Lord !!! Me thinks some folks forgot about ALL the semi-sailor- hippies, who got to Hawyee by following the con trails of jets LOL just had to throw that in !!
I think that's because we only hear from the ones that chose the right jets.

"Skill" at calling coin flips isn't much.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts