Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2013, 06:19   #31

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)
Re: Lets Talk Electronic Charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic38 View Post
I have to agree that there is no set of circumstances that would ever have me use a tablet as the primary navigation system.
I have a different perspective on this. "Primary" may have different meanings to different people, from "most important to have onboard", to "most frequently used".

Maybe I could shell out for a new chartplotter, but until then I use my Android tablet with Navionics as the most frequently used navigation system, but just for a visual aid, rather then planning. I would not consider it to be "most important to have onboard". My Windows 7 laptop running OpenCPN and CM93 charts is pretty well always on. It will shortly be interfaced to AIS as well. I consider this will be my most useful system.

I still like paper charts for overall planning and to see the bigger picture. I pencil in fixes and join the dots every couple of hours. Then I have a Raymarine RL70C plotter (at the nav station), but I much prefer the tablet or laptop over the Raymarine for usability, so it gets used less often.

Finally is the trusted Garmin handheld with charts, but not likely to be used.

Also consider how old the charts are. Navionics on tablet is up to date, CM93 is 2010, while my "real" chartplotter has 2007 charts. I won't be updating them due to the age of the analogue technology. Most of my paper charts are many years old.

Relaibility? Apart from paper, an inbuilt chartplotters may be the most robust, but then with 2 of us on board we have 2 tablets and 2 laptops.
Old 19-07-2013, 06:22   #32
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRM View Post
There's a reason why you make your living supporting it. Because it needs so much support :-) But this is all old hat, run what you like, just don't expect those who really understand what's going on under the hood not to scoff at your XP fandom.

At our company, Win7 currently requires more support. But we are moving to it because it is better. I LOVE Win 7. All I was saying is that someone wanting to use XP in certain circumstances is not using a dinosaur. And that XP has not, yet, been relagated to history. XP still has legitimate uses.

Disclaimer: I don't support PCs or Windows. I support iSeries and some *nix. The Windows guys are across the hall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkstar View Post
SORRY
Remove XP and install Win 7 & those old laptops will seem like fancy new machines.
Hate to ruin your belief, But Win 7 runs so much better than XP
You will wonder, Why did I not change Years ago
I said I have more XP machines than Win7. 9 out of 10 English professors agree that this implies that I do, indeed, have 1 or more Win7 machines. My main machine is 7 and I've had it two(?) years. I love it. But I am typing this post on an old P4 running XP. A $150 refurb from some 5-6 years ago. It does it's job beautifully with no issues. The Win7 machine is next to it with Nobeltec up on the screen. At some point down the road I'll need to replace this old P4. When I do it will be with a Win7 machine.

So, people, I was ONLY pointing out that XP is not quite as dead as stated. I am NOT saying the entire world should be forced to use nothing but XP. I am not comparing XP to android or iThings. I am not even saying XP is better than Win7.

But if someone says they want to build a low power cool running boat computer and they have chosen XP, I will not scoff at them.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 06:45   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
I have a different perspective on this. "Primary" may have different meanings to different people, from "most important to have onboard", to "most frequently used".

Maybe I could shell out for a new chartplotter, but until then I use my Android tablet with Navionics as the most frequently used navigation system, but just for a visual aid, rather then planning. I would not consider it to be "most important to have onboard". My Windows 7 laptop running OpenCPN and CM93 charts is pretty well always on. It will shortly be interfaced to AIS as well. I consider this will be my most useful system.

I still like paper charts for overall planning and to see the bigger picture. I pencil in fixes and join the dots every couple of hours. Then I have a Raymarine RL70C plotter (at the nav station), but I much prefer the tablet or laptop over the Raymarine for usability, so it gets used less often.

Finally is the trusted Garmin handheld with charts, but not likely to be used.

Also consider how old the charts are. Navionics on tablet is up to date, CM93 is 2010, while my "real" chartplotter has 2007 charts. I won't be updating them due to the age of the analogue technology. Most of my paper charts are many years old.

Relaibility? Apart from paper, an inbuilt chartplotters may be the most robust, but then with 2 of us on board we have 2 tablets and 2 laptops.
One of the great advantages that has only become available in the last few years is the possibility of having multiple different mapping systems of the same area for a relatively low cost.
As well as providing redundancy often one system will be more accurate, show more detail, or be presented better.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 12:52   #34
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
So when I understand the posts here, it says that both Microsoft and hardware suppliers still support Windows XP? If so, then I was wrong. I always thought that Apple was the last to drop support a year or more ago and that all the rest was already at Vista or Win7. I even thought that Microsoft stopped their support too. Must have been dreaming

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 15:14   #35
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic38 View Post
I have to agree that there is no set of circumstances that would ever have me use a tablet as the primary navigation system. I have a nexus 7 and its a nice toy, but it is my 3rd string system, behind Raymarine RL70C/RC520 and laptop/Opencpn.

Only one of them is suitable for all weather all conditions use in the cockpit.
Temporarily very occasionally a nexus 7 can work well, in tricky tidal rivers if you are lucky enough for the images to be of low water. Ge2kap lets you double check the datum accuracy of the images. Then you can export from opencpn afterwards and upload your track to a Google account.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 15:17   #36
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
So when I understand the posts here, it says that both Microsoft and hardware suppliers still support Windows XP? If so, then I was wrong. I always thought that Apple was the last to drop support a year or more ago and that all the rest was already at Vista or Win7. I even thought that Microsoft stopped their support too. Must have been dreaming
lots of embedded XP systems out there Nick , Furuno NN2D for one.

Dave
Old 19-07-2013, 15:21   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

lots of embedded XP systems out there Nick , Furuno NN2D for one.

Dave
Unfortunately yes, and it shows (they still sell it? Has the new Furuno Touch also embedded XP?). But that has nothing to do with XP on a laptop.

Old 20-07-2013, 00:42   #38

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Microsoft still supports XP.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 01:06   #39

Boat: C&C 34
Des anybody have any knowledge of the differences between Navionics app and Inavx? I'm trying to find a clear fact based summary of the two.
Mandurah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 04:34   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post

Microsoft still supports XP.
Indeed, I was wrong. It was just the hardware manufacturers who dropped support. I Googled and found the answer from Microsoft themselves: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...cid=wc-searchg
So it's April 8, 2014 that XP is put to the museum.

Old 20-07-2013, 07:03   #41

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkstar View Post
SORRY
Remove XP and install Win 7 & those old laptops will seem like fancy new machines.
Hate to ruin your belief, But Win 7 runs so much better than XP
You will wonder, Why did I not change Years ago
I don't know which planet you live on, but I removed Win 7 and installed XP on my latest netbook/chartplotter two years ago because I couldn't get OpenCPN to work with Win 7. I remain very happy with XP.

We also bought a 10" Android tablet and the Navionics North America charts this year. The Navionics charts for Canada are much better than Cmap, but I miss the added functionality of OpenCPN, and will switch back to the netbook as soon as we cross back into US waters.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 16:39   #42

Boat: a sailing boat

Most mobile charts (also Navionics) run fine on both Android devices and iPads. I think hardly anything exists for RT tablets.

All our stuff now runs on XP and Android, various methods and software.

Re XP stability = 100%, in last 10 years we had hardware failures (2x) but we have never had an XP fail.

Building a new kit, I would chose 8 (and go mobile) over XP as 8 can broadcast TCP over AP while XP works only in adhoc - and Android devices do not readily connect to adhocs. I think iThings can connect to adhocs (?)

Win 8 tablet USD 400, Android tablet USD 150, charts (some) free. Inexpensive, mobile and inter-connectable.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 14:34   #43

Boat: Albin Vega 27

Don't forget that NOAA has their own android app now, called MyNOAACharts. Its free, has the latested updated charts, and you can also download the Coast Pilots with it. I'm playing with it on my Galaxy Tab right now. Also can use your tablets GPS to display your position overlaid on the NOAA chart. Charts are the same as the paper charts. Chart downloading in integrated into the app so theres no trasferring of ENC charts from your computer to your tablet. Easy to download entire regions of charts that include the harbor charts, ICW, 40000 and 80000 scale charts in the same download.

BTW MyNOAACharts is currently in Beta. Beta ends on labor day (Sep 2), and NOAA will only release an offical finished release if there is sufficicent interest from the boating community. So, if you like the app, make sure you send a note to the NOAA letting them know!

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories...20_charts.html
Old 25-07-2013, 20:47   #44
cruiser

I chose iNavX running on an iPad Mini.

I chose iNavX because I like raster charts, but I'll admit that vector charts are the future. Maybe in ten years...

I chose the Mini because it will fit in the pockets of my gear, and the larger screens won't.

I'm in a charter fleet, whatever I have has to move with me from boat to boat.

Having used this as primary navigation for a while, I can't imagine using anything else.

When I use Garmins, (two of our boats) I notice how much easier to deal with the iPad is.

The technology driving the dedicated chart plotters is starting to show it's age, and the iPad really makes that clear.

The only two things wrong with the iPad that I see is that one, I could drop it overboard, and two, it's hard to read in direct sunlight.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 22:17   #45

Boat: Valiant 40-169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
I chose iNavX running on an iPad Mini.

I chose iNavX because I like raster charts, but I'll admit that vector charts are the future. Maybe in ten years...

I chose the Mini because it will fit in the pockets of my gear, and the larger screens won't.

I'm in a charter fleet, whatever I have has to move with me from boat to boat.

Having used this as primary navigation for a while, I can't imagine using anything else.

When I use Garmins, (two of our boats) I notice how much easier to deal with the iPad is.

The technology driving the dedicated chart plotters is starting to show it's age, and the iPad really makes that clear.

The only two things wrong with the iPad that I see is that one, I could drop it overboard, and two, it's hard to read in direct sunlight.
How about number 3, you take it ashore, drop it and the screen breaks. Or the same happens on the boat. I would be interested in hearing why it is so much easier to use tban a chartplotter, but maybe the Garmins are a bit old?
gordwedman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts