Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2013, 20:23   #16

Boat: Westsail 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post

Windows XP Pro ?! really? And you're going to take that to sea?

I would rather have my iPad than most chart plotters in use on boats I see. Pretty reliable too, never seen a failure yet.
If you're going to slam a platform please back up your assertions with facts and examples.
I wont take your word at face value because usually opinions about platforms are subjective.
oblivionboyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 20:50   #17
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by oblivionboyj View Post

If you're going to slam a platform please back up your assertions with facts and examples.
I wont take your word at face value because usually opinions about platforms are subjective.
Windows XP Pro is a dinosaur in the museum. There is no need to back that up, it is obvious.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 21:37   #18
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Re: Lets Talk Electronic Charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Windows XP Pro is a dinosaur in the museum. There is no need to back that up, it is obvious.
XP is a rock-solid OS that will run on lower-powered CPUs with less RAM. In other words, it can run on older laptops better than Win7. Or on low powered 12v Carputer type boards. If I was building a boat specific machine right now I'd probably go with XP and/or Linux. Probably 1 or 2 of each.

I have more XP machines here at home than Win7. All 3 of my PCs at work are XP. My company still has about 7,000 of them in use. That's over half.

XP is not anyway near a dinosaur. It is SLOWLY heading that direction. (And I wouldn't by a new desktop with XP.)

So, maybe it's obvious to you, but to me, a person making my living with computers, it's not quite so obvious.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 23:00   #19
JRM

Boat: Valiant 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacust View Post

XP is a rock-solid OS that will run on lower-powered CPUs with less RAM. In other words, it can run on older laptops better than Win7. Or on low powered 12v Carputer type boards. If I was building a boat specific machine right now I'd probably go with XP and/or Linux. Probably 1 or 2 of each.

I have more XP machines here at home than Win7. All 3 of my PCs at work are XP. My company still has about 7,000 of them in use. That's over half.

XP is not anyway near a dinosaur. It is SLOWLY heading that direction. (And I wouldn't by a new desktop with XP.)

So, maybe it's obvious to you, but to me, a person making my living with computers, it's not quite so obvious.

-dan
There's a reason why you make your living supporting it. Because it needs so much support :-) But this is all old hat, run what you like, just don't expect those who really understand what's going on under the hood not to scoff at your XP fandom.

That being said, I have the Navionics app for my iPhone, and it's right handy. I've used it locally when I'm too lazy to go down and look at the GPS. It's also nice because I can get cel service just into the shipping lane, and the AIS app is handy for looking for any traffic before crossing.

It's also great for those moments of curiosity that strike away from the boat. Like: how far is it from A to B? Or: how deep is the anchorage at Y?

My big concern is getting it wet. The boss and I both have these watertight bags that we use, and it works pretty well. Not sure how well that would translate to tablet size. But the touchscreen does work through the bag.

JRM
JRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 23:49   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Marine charts on a tablet are fantastic value.
I use Navionics on I pad. The coverage is as good (but different) to Cmaps.

The iPad is more fragile than a proper marine plotter, but it does have its own battery supply.

The fragility can be made up with with multiple backups. My wife and I both have i-pads and I think in the near future we will be ready to upgrade which gives us 4 independent mapping systems, with tablets alone, each with its own maps, GPS and battery supply.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 00:10   #21

Let's not let this thread deteriorate into a "MY chart plotter/pad/PC is best and everyone is crazy for using anything else"

OP asked about electronic charting. Here is a web site that gives one persons opinion. i-Marine Apps
Rick R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 00:48   #22

Boat: Hanse 385

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
OK that makes a lot of sense. thanks.
No, it doesn't really.
Not sure how he can say that iPads are more likely to break. Get a good case and you have a system that's way more useful than a chartplotter and I've personally never had an issue with one breaking.

Also... Bear in mind the costs. For the cost of this "10 year old chartplotter" with maps you could buy 5-6 iPads easy.
simonpickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 01:19   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacust View Post
XP is a rock-solid OS that will run on lower-powered CPUs with less RAM. In other words, it can run on older laptops better than Win7. -dan
SORRY
Remove XP and install Win 7 & those old laptops will seem like fancy new machines.
Hate to ruin your belief, But Win 7 runs so much better than XP
You will wonder, Why did I not change Years ago
wkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 02:24   #24

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

I have a garmin plotter on my boat so i got a garmin app for my ipad. It works great and in fact they have already addressed all the issues in the Practical Sailor review with free upgrades. I also know a guy with a navionics app and he likes it just as much. I would say it is hard to go wrong either way - just depends which system you are used to or want to connect with.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 03:00   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If you are navigating in U.S. waters and want good charts for free, look into programs that use the free downloadable NOAA charts. I use the raster charts, but the vector charts are getting pretty complete. iPad, Android, XP, Win7, iWhatever -- these all have programs available that will use these charts.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 04:25   #26
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
I would rather have my iPad than most chart plotters in use on boats I see. Pretty reliable too, never seen a failure yet.
my Garmin 276C is ten years old this year, waterproof to IPx7, floats, sunlight readable

My first iPad lasted 14 months of office use!!

electronic design matters

Dave
Old 19-07-2013, 05:03   #27

Boat: St. Francis 44 mkII

You are entitled to your opinion.. but stating an opinion does not make it fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkstar View Post
SORRY
Remove XP and install Win 7 & those old laptops will seem like fancy new machines.
Hate to ruin your belief, But Win 7 runs so much better than XP
You will wonder, Why did I not change Years ago
Mystic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 05:08   #28

Boat: St. Francis 44 mkII

I have to agree that there is no set of circumstances that would ever have me use a tablet as the primary navigation system. I have a nexus 7 and its a nice toy, but it is my 3rd string system, behind Raymarine RL70C/RC520 and laptop/Opencpn.

Only one of them is suitable for all weather all conditions use in the cockpit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
my Garmin 276C is ten years old this year, waterproof to IPx7, floats, sunlight readable

My first iPad lasted 14 months of office use!!

electronic design matters

Dave
Mystic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 05:33   #29

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
Yes, your sextant is off, mate.

Get real!

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 05:36   #30

Boat: Westsail 32
Yeah, I remain unconvinced that XP is anything less than stable.
I know it, and all the superfluous BS has been removed.
My Toughbook is running lean.

But that's just it; the trade off for the dependability of the Toughbook (it has literally been shown to be bulletproof) is that its slow.
So long as it continues to reliably function the OS it is running is irrelevant to me.
I tried W7 on it, and it would barely function.
I ran Linux on it for a while, and it was stable and efficient, but not much is available to run the kind if applications I want to run on it.
XP runs like a champ on it.

Incidentally, I work for a United Technologies Corp subsidiary.
7 out of 10 employees (which is approaching 200k people at one of the largest companies in the world) are still running XP on their work computers.
That doesn't sound like an OS that has run its course to me
oblivionboyj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts