Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2011, 08:34   #1

Question Lefkada to Kusudasi

Hi everyone,

As I am new to the forum I have been kindly directed to the navigation section - assured that within I would find a great deal of expertise! I have already had a most helpful answer to the below questions from swagman but it never hurts to get more opinions

I am currently looking at buying a yacht in Lefkada, Greece and sailing it through the Greek Islands (via the Corinthian Canal) to Kusudasi in Turkey.

The problem is that unfortunately I am subject to the 90-day Shengen tourist visa term limits, of which I have already used 4 weeks.

In light of this, I am hoping to get some indication of a reasonable time frame with which to exit the Ionian, traverse the Aegean and arrive in Turkey. An ideal timeframe would make allowances for the possibility of having to bunker down for a few days at a time to ride out any serious weather, as well as perhaps a day or two in any ports of interest. I am not really keen to push into heavy weather if it can be avoided.

My level of experience is moderate; I have owned and sailed yachts for a few years now, but never in the Med.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Routes, timeframes, places of interest, etc. Many thanks.
earlyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:10   #2
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Re: Lefkada to Kusudasi

It looks like it's 640 km's, so I would think if your pushing it, 10 days or 14 taking it easy. You have plenty of time.
Old 24-05-2011, 03:29   #3

Boat: Hanse 540e

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyday View Post
Hi everyone,

As I am new to the forum I have been kindly directed to the navigation section - assured that within I would find a great deal of expertise! I have already had a most helpful answer to the below questions from swagman but it never hurts to get more opinions
Any info would be greatly appreciated. Routes, timeframes, places of interest, etc. Many thanks.
If you dont have the yacht yet, it will take much more time to find, choose and prepare the yacht
Two years ago I have sailed from Corfu to Kusadasi in 8 days, but it was a bumpy ride, up to 12 hours per day.
But if you preffer to sail (instead of motoring), have time to visit islands and choras, allow a day for waiting weather window, one month should be perfect time window.

fair winds!

c
cwetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2011, 06:03   #4

If you find yourself pressed for time you can always go north. Corfu is a days sail away and from there you can check out of the EU/Schengen and cross into Albania and then up to Croatia. After three months there you should be able to get another 3 month schengen visa for a more leisurely transit through Greece.
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2011, 21:01   #5
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

I just sailed from Lefkada to Kusudasi last week- it took me about 10 days- -Kusudasi is not so nice and very expensive -for me 70e a night- 235 e to check in including the night at the marinia- with a 24 hour wait on the paper work -lots of nice stops on the way could be done
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote