Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2010, 19:51   #16

Send a message via Yahoo to multihull1 Send a message via Skype™ to multihull1
THank you Jim
got to the file nema not nema ini. but think its the same
have gone in and where channels are put INO com4 will restart computer and see got fingers crossed
multihull1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 20:03   #17

Hi Jim
ok have gone into Cmapecs config.
first thing before it even loads says cant find com4
then go into nema config. try to change com. but it want let me
There is no figure there... i highlite it and try but nothing works???
MUst be problem with Cmapecs software???
Old 02-10-2010, 21:21   #18

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
G'Day again robert,

Well, first, it appears that you haven't told XP to display the filename extensions (things like .txt, .ini and so on). It is a good idea to change that so they are displayed. To do this, open something like My Documents, look in the upper bar and click tools, and then folder options, and then the view tab. You'll see a table of things with check boxes, and one is "Hide extensions for known file types". UNcheck that box, click "ok", and close the whole shebang. Now you should be able to see the NMEA.ini file name in Cmapsecs.

Now, back to our scheduled broadcast...

Go to the device manager and be sure that the GPS com port is enabled. Then check under port settings to see that the bits per second matches that of the GPS. Now return to NMEA.ini. Check to see that it is still set to INO=COM4, and that the baud rate is the same as the GPS and the com port setup you just checked. If this is all ok, try the program again... should work (it says here!).

Again, good luck

Jim
Old 02-10-2010, 21:44   #19

You are a super guy mate In owe you a big icy cold beer.
Did all you said still doesnt work though. baud rate is same 4800
gps works on computer but as soon as i go to open cmapesc dialogue box comes in middle of screen saying cant find com port4.
But get this.. if i go ahead and open CmapESC low resolution
page opens with side bar showing my current GPS location green ligjts etc.
However no chart??? grey screen with Lat.and LOng. grids and circles with course line. I would have thought it would have shown the actual chart and no, none,nada, GPs Position????
Thought it would have shown chart of Sunshine coast but nothing,rtyd zooming in and out nothing.
I really do appreciate you helping me and hope your getting a good laugh out of my stupidity and frustration.
If you get down this way my number is 0423801988 call Ill bring the beer.
Think i will try to get money back unless you have another idea for me to try. I am definitely learning alot and how to type also Are you waiting for northerlys or do you live up that way??? Thanx so much for all your help
Robert
Old 03-10-2010, 15:09   #20

G'Day Robert

Well, it's another day and I just read your last posting. So, if I understand you correctly, when you open Cmaps your position is digitally displayed in the right-hand panel, but no chart appears. This indicates that the GPS interface is in fact working... that's hopeful! Now, have you ever been able to get charts to display? If not, there are some things to look at.

First, where have you put the CM93 chart files? Check their full address. Will be something like C:/CM93. Then go to the cmap program file again and open "CmapEcs.ini" The first bits in this will look like:

[DIRECTORY]
CM93ROOT=C:\CM93
CM93CAT=C:\CM93
CM93CHRLIST=C:\CM93
LOGARCHIVE=.\Logbook
UserDefined=1

Be sure that the addresses shown for CM93root, cm93cat and cm93chrlist all are the same as the address that YOUR cm93 file is located in. If not, change them to match and save the changes and try the program again.

And yes, we are awaiting some N'ly wx, 'cause were aiming to be in Tasmania in January. With the La Nina index being so high, we sure want to start getting south pretty soon. If no N'lies appear soon, we'll bite the bullet and start beating our way south.

Meanwhile we contrived to rip the wind generator off our radar arch the other day, so some repairs are in order... looking for a s/s welder today!

Cheers and again, good luck with cmaps

Jim
Old 03-10-2010, 19:20   #21

Wow JIm your back with me again cant believe you can take so much punishment, but thanx
Have tryd or I am trying what you said as we speak now C-maps were in Program files\c-mapecs so changed those parameters as you suggested
that doesnt work either
still getting GPS reading on right hand column but no chart...
As said can open charts in c-map world viewer, always goes to iceland norway area??
I really thought we had something there because the file wasnt written like you said but still nothing. IM willing to keep trying if you are?? Hope you found your stainless guy.
Friend of mine up in Cooktown waiting for northerlys also he's on a little wharram 26 though not as comfortable as your boat. if you get near Noosa or Mooloolaba Ill buy you that drink
Thanx So Much
Robert
Old 03-10-2010, 20:03   #22

Dang, Robert!

I'm running out of ideas, mate. Long distance troubleshooting is always a bit iffy I wonder if perhaps there has been a typing error somewhere? Why don't you go into cmapsecs.ini and copy what you have in the "directory" section and paste it into a post here. Do the same with the address of your CM93 file, and I'll see if everything looks right to me. (Grasping at straws, I am).

Meanwhile, it is interesting that Insatiable II (then named Waminda) was built in Noosa and launched at Moo'ba in August 1990 by the builders, Gary and Sue McAulay. She always wants to turn into Noosa as we go by, and I have to remind her that it has silted up a bit! But we often stop briefly in Mooloolaba, usually anchoring outside of Lawries (shallow enough, too!) to visit friends in that marina.

Anyway, keep on trying... it'll work eventually.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 03-10-2010, 21:14   #23

HI Jim
Think I finally hit the wrong button somewhere
when i went to turn off computer this screen came up copying 'C-Map ECS' to 'c-mapecs' it still down loading that so will see what happens when that finishes
yes long distance is hard but you've been a real champ at helping me
strange about the boat and noosa ive been here since 91
Old 03-10-2010, 22:27   #24

Hey MAte
we did it not sure what finally did it but something, the charts started coming up but then no GPS so Im going what the.....
So go ck parameters for GPS all perfect shut off again like 3rd time and now its working scared to turn it off, ha ha guess will have to sometime
must have had something to do with copying those files??? over just not sure thank you for all your help couldnt have done it without you mate
keep in touch let me know when your close PLease
YOur now Vefry Good Friend
Robert
Old 03-10-2010, 23:15   #25

Well, OK!!!

Glad that perseverance won out in the long run. Well done on your end, Robert!

I'll try to get in touch if we stop in that area (if we ever get to that area!)... probably PM you here.

Anyway, enjoy your c-map setup. Once you get used to electronic charting, there are lots of better programs to try, some freeware, some not, but mostly more user friendly that cmap. The one that is based here on CF (called Open CPN) has many fans, and is completely free, AND will access your CM93 charts. I haven't tried it yet, but will one day when I get tired of Max-Sea crashing all the bloody time.

Cheers for now...

Jim
Old 03-10-2010, 23:57   #26

thank you
I will try the OPen CPn
have seen on this site great that it will use cmap charts hope
Right now im going to rest my brain hopefully
ill be watching weather charts to see when you maybe this way
Robert