Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2018, 21:59   #1

Lake Champlain_Great Loop_Minneapolis

Hi all,
I’m hoping in ~2 years when I retire to commence a multi year (probably multi-stage), journey originating in Burlington, VT, down the Champlain Canal, and than west, hopefully to Minneapolis to visit family, before reversing course and heading down to the Gulf, etc.

My boat is a Flye Point 28 sedan, super seaworthy, reliable medium power diesel, draft < 3½ ft max, mast height well under 15 ft.

I’m an experienced navigator and boat handler, planning to take the time it takes to see all there is to see as well as be safe.

I think my biggest questions are about the route off the standard GL path to the upper Mississippi. Where do Branch off to head to Minneapolis?

Has anyone done this journey before?
Feedback, resources, suggestions, etc, especially from those who have transited any part of this route would be most welcome.

Thanks so much!

John
jdhinckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:44   #2

Boat: Catalina 36, MK2 #1897
Re: Lake Champlain_Great Loop_Minneapolis

Pretty easy travel up the Mississippi River. Hazards are wing dams and barge traffic in metro areas. Alternatively go via Great Lakes arriving in Duluth,not Minneapolis.
Pgutierrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:49   #3

Boat: Catalina 36, MK2 #1897

If you want to go down Illinois River from Chicago and then up the Mississippi to to Minnesota check for bridge clearance on lower Illinois River.
Pgutierrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:09   #4

Thanks for your thoughts all. Clearance won't be an issue, as radar mast height is <=~15ft.
Anywhere there is commercial traffic, my assumption is that a sharp lookout is mandatory, as well as understanding the limitations of movement for the tug/barge traffic.
jdhinckley is offline   Reply With Quote