Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2019, 11:40   #1171

Re: La Vagabonde's crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldKetch View Post
Please spend 2 minutes on google before ranting

"Children are increasingly suffering anxiety and grief about climate change, British psychologists said on Thursday, advising parents to discuss the issue in an age-appropriate way."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...-idUSKBN1W42CF

And these guys are on the side of GT
https://www.climatepsychologyalliance.org/
prhaps yi might want to read the article in full,, ( sorry i know it takes more than 18 seconds of your concentration span ) ,, it encourages children to take part in the friday actions and also states that " if they protect too much it is actually lieing to them " quote in context
Old 02-12-2019, 11:42   #1172

Boat: Westerly 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

The Outremer 45 is a pretty modest boat and not much faster in most conditions than my mono (and surely slower in rougher sea conditions), yet they just flew across. Was it just luck that they didn't get into so much as a real gale on the whole passage, or is this the new state of the art? That is the question.
I'm not convinced cats are better at crossing oceans not because they are unsafe but because they are not as comfortable as a well designed moderate displacement mono in typical offshore conditions. I'm sure your Moody 54 would have been more comfortable, and not necessarily slower overall, than the Outremer 45. Cats tend to have more variable speeds than monos and I find the constant acceleration and deceleration physically tiring. When La Vagabonde was doing its 200+ mile days it would have regularly been surfing at close to 20 knots which would have been fun, but also tiring and uncomfortable for all on onboard. Comfort is a safety factor and Riley has been looking downright exhausted.

Another issue with a cat, particularly a performance one, is that you will often need a greater level of watch keeping vigilance, particularly at night with squalls around. When I sailed my catamaran, I used to be more on edge constantly monitoring wind speed. On my mono I can relax just a little bit more which results in less fatigue. With more margin for error, I might also be a little more inclined to let a less experienced crew keep watch.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:48   #1173

LV posted today: "Change of arrival port, Doca de Santo Amaro (Lisbon). Somewhere between 8-9am tomorrow."

Nikki Henderson's latest facebook post, also talking about science:

"Reflections from the North Atlantic:
For what feels like the first time in the entire journey, we are pointing directly towards Lisbon. We have 100 NM left to run before we can officially announce ‘mission complete’. The mission being - to safely sail Greta to Europe in time for her to attend the COP25 climate conference in Madrid.
Riley and I have spoken many times this trip about the ‘mission’. About feeling like we are now part of something significant. Like this crossing had real purpose beyond the normal “go from point ‘a’ to point ‘b’” which of course, whilst so simple, is one of the true beauties of travelling by sea: purpose.
Reading back through my messages from - unbelievably - only 23 days ago, we were discussing whether I would be the best person to help him and Elayna with the trip. I wrote to him and advised he make whatever decision was best for their safety - for there was “something bigger at stake than any of us”. I ... we ... felt a pull to work together for this bigger ‘thing’. There were good reasons to choose someone else - for example, the fact that I had to fly was not ideal considering what the trip represented, even though I did buy carbon offsets. What ultimately brought us together was the pull of the adventure, yes, but also a deeper common interest - a shared purpose ...
We have had many conversations on-board about the climate emergency - about how bleak the situation is. There have been some heated discussions too - is it too late? Should we still hope? Can we feel positive? Is it constructive to be afraid? To name a few.
Every discussion for me has been informative, and interesting. I’ve learned in much greater depth about the issues at hand - and had some ideas about how to contribute to fixing them. This was one reason I agreed to be part of this and support the crew - so in my view a successful 3 weeks!
One of my favourite conversations was with Svante and Greta yesterday. We were considering how the sailing trip that we have just done - a voyage that Greta decided was necessary for her to take - is so symbolic. On departing the USA we sacrificed any control or strict agenda. We surrendered to the ocean and to Mother Nature. We relied on science - the weather forecast - to guide us. We supported science with our own instinct for survival. We gained a unique perspective of how small we are in this big world. We compromised many of at least a Westerner’s life luxuries - plenty of food, running water, fast internet access - to name a few. Despite this, we are arriving feeling richer and more fulfilled than we left.
Reflecting on what this trip was about - the bigger ‘mission’- this conversation feels extremely relevant.
Whilst it could be misinterpreted this way, this trip was not about telling people what to do, or how to live. It was not about Greta or any of us travelling in the most sustainable way possible. If it was, there were probably slightly better options - although none perfect. There may have been skippers who could have joined the boat in two days without flying. There may have been boats without a diesel engine as a back up for power. There may have been vessels that could monitor their carbon footprint more closely.
This trip was about the bigger mission. It was for us to enable Greta - one of our influencers - our role models - to travel in the way that she felt was most in line with the youth climate movement message: To highlight the need for big structural change to fight the climate emergency. To make the point that there isn’t a sustainable way to travel yet, and there needs to be.
‘Big structural changes’ - no one knows exactly what that will entail. But I think it’s so beautiful that just by choosing to sail across the Atlantic, we demonstrated that it is possible to adopt ‘big structural changes’ into our lives - even if just for three weeks. These changes surely correspond with some of the changes necessary to solve the climate crisis: trusting science, setting aside differences and working together, sacrificing some of life‘s indulgences, surrendering control, compromising, staying optimistic - finding a shared sense of purpose.
By sailing across the Atlantic we have shown what it is possible to achieve if you work with nature, and not against her.
In making it to Lisbon by the power of the wind, we have in a small way, contributed to the youth climate movement. We had ‘walked the walk’ and ‘talked the talk’ so to speak. Perhaps that was our shared purpose after all … ?
It has been a privilege to have helped Riley and Elayna sail Greta and her father safely to Europe, and ultimately to her family and her home. Being part of this project is something I’ll remember for the rest of my life. It’s been an opportunity to deepen my understanding of the climate emergency; to make five new friends; and best of all, to enjoy and share the purity, the perspective, and the peace that sailing across an ocean provides."
Old 02-12-2019, 11:49   #1174

Boat: Malö 40H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Who's reality? As Gord's recent post ably pointed out, reality is all too often in the eye of the beholder. Reality should always be questioned, not blindly adhered to.

Next time there is a hurricane coming...strap yourself to a pole and try to argue with it.

That reality.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:50   #1175

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
So what made this special.. Apart from the people on the boat..
What did it reveal about CC effects on a W-E November crossing.. none, because no one on board can make a comparison.
When did you last cross.. mine was last year and in most years I have been a member on here.. except 2012 when it was the S Pacific.
It was just another Transat.. seems you need to get off the sofa and away from the screen more
time you have to grow up,, open your ears ,, close your ***** ,,, it is nothing about the people ,, how often do you have to be told ,, it is the gesture , it is the publicity for the cause !! ,, but no you wont be told,, wont listen ,, !! i have been at work all day not sitting about on the key board,, but many others have been trying to explain to those who will not listen ,,, arrgh ,, sighhh
PS actually i could have saved my self the effort and just suggest that you read Nikkis latest message , in it she explains in great length just what the trip is all about, had i been been sitting here all day i would have read it sooner,,,, enjoy . even if it is not what you want to hear !!
Old 02-12-2019, 11:55   #1176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
That's just a different style of sailing, and if you are ready for anything the sea can dish out, then why not.

Just my personal preference to sail fast and sail actively. And the way LV got across really opened my eyes about a few things.

I wouldn't take an A57 to the Artic -- hit one small growler at speed and it would be smashed to splinters and you'd be blue and dying before you could get your drysuit on. But for most other stuff it might be a good choice, based on all of this. Would be great fun to do a passage like this one, on a boat like that, dodging the systems, flying across.
yes DH, but as someone who is always on about the good seamanship etc etc , why would you be zapping throo a potential ice field in a cat when ( presumably ) you would not be doing it in a monohull ,, like they say on a motorbike, the grip turns both ways
Old 02-12-2019, 11:56   #1177

Boat: Westerly 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDouglasone View Post

Just one single volcanic eruption throws up more C02 than man AND woman has ever produced since the discovery of fire! 😁
Complete bollocks.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...oes-or-humans/

Greenhouse gas emissions from volcanoes comprise less than one percent of those generated by today’s human endeavors.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:57   #1178

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Who's reality? As Gord's recent post ably pointed out, reality is all too often in the eye of the beholder. Reality should always be questioned, not blindly adhered to.
There's only one reality, not to be questioned but to be searched for
Old 02-12-2019, 12:06   #1179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maapallo View Post
Nikki Henderson's latest facebook post, also talking about science:

"Reflections from the North Atlantic:
...."
Nikki was a great choice - a genuinely good, caring and empathic person with the skillset they needed.... who also actually writes quite well. I've been curious how they 'found' her - as she was not the obvious choice. I am glad they did not get one of the many 'big ego/low empathy' self-proclaimed 'rock stars'.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:13   #1180
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
La Vagabonde's crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherod View Post
if any kids are suffering anxiety where are the parents ? somewhere in denial ???

No, that’s a ridiculous statement, when I grew up it was the duck and cover generation if you will, and I can assure you that the majority of kids were suffering anxiety thinking that today is the day I might get nuked. I abhor the possibility of nuclear proliferation myself, and I’m sure it’s because I grew up being told that were were the #3 target due to the huge SAC base in town.

US Kids suffered during the first Gulf War, in fact if you look back anxiety was wide spread, and huge numbers of people were addicted to CNN

Anything that makes the parents anxious and the population in general will make the kids anxious, and being militaristic in the protesting doesn’t help.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:16   #1181
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherod View Post
time you have to grow up,, open your ears ,, close your ***** ,,, it is nothing about the people ,, how often do you have to be told ,, it is the gesture , it is the publicity for the cause !! ,, but no you wont be told,, wont listen ,, !! i have been at work all day not sitting about on the key board,, but many others have been trying to explain to those who will not listen ,,, arrgh ,, sighhh
Have a little lie down, sounds like you need it...
Meditate.
Become a buddist and you may be lucky enough to be re-incarnated as a cockroach.......
after all it is cockroaches that will inherit the earth,not us humans....
Old 02-12-2019, 12:20   #1182

Boat: X442

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Waves View Post
Nikki was a great choice - a genuinely good, caring and empathic person with the skillset they needed.... who also actually writes quite well. I've been curious how they 'found' her - as she was not the obvious choice. I am glad they did not get one of the many 'big ego/low empathy' self-proclaimed 'rock stars'.
An amazing set of people (I love that group photo at the start. Youthful, optimistic, full of hope and on a mission. And invisible Dad keeping an eye on his little girl - does he even like sailing?) spreading the very simple message: let's find solutions to suit us all.

It should not be so difficult. Most of the things we do today and consider part of our human rights we have only been doing for a couple of decades: flying everywhere almost for free, driving huge cars, eating far too much meat, dumping half the food we produce, turning our oceans into plastic soups, etc. And then why is it that in terms of happiness, countries such as the US and those in Europe hit peak happiness in the 70's? It's been downhill ever since, even though we all got richer. Although, coming to think of it, I don't think the majority really got that much richer.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:24   #1183
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Nikki purchased carbon offsets (the right to pollute). So all is well.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:31   #1184

the wealth differential has been widening alarmingly ,,,,,,,,

another thing which astounds me about the denialist mob,, why is it that it is quite acceptable ( in fact praised and encouraged in the capitalist society ) to make money , even huge amounts of money in the current system ( burning fosil fuels, producing meat , CO2 methane etc ) ) but it is somehow totally henious when it is suggested that anyone make a few pounds ( $ for some ) from a green energy industry ??? more of their hypocracy
Old 02-12-2019, 12:34   #1185
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Waves View Post
she is probably motivated by what she see's as public service and a certain amount of guilt for having a been brought up as one of the elite in the UK
Her mother was untill recently a government minister.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_Milton

On 23 July 2019, Milton resigned as Minister of State for Skills and Apprenticeships shortly before Boris Johnson was announced as the new leader of the Conservative Party Leader and Prime Minister. She said that she could not serve in a government which said there was a possibility of the UK leaving the European Union with no deal.
Closed Thread