Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2015, 12:59   #16

Boat: Krogen 42
Re: Keys to Bimini Bahamas - your 2 cents?

Where did the $300 come from
meridian28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 13:04   #17

Boat: temporarily boatless...

I was replying to the post before mine, which was referring to the entry fee (in my case, for a 36, $300).
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 13:40   #18

I cleared in Bimini and spent several weeks this winter at Browns marina. And in case anyone's confused, the $300 is where ever you clear into the Bahamas not just Bimini.

While Bimini is not wealthy or as beautiful as the Exumas, it's not dangerous. It doesn't feel like Nassau. Very friendly people, especially if you start with "How are you today?". The biggest danger was getting run over by a golf cart driven by a tourist. Several good restaurants and lively (as in there's dancing) bars.

Unlike most of the smaller islands, the telephone company is open more than one day a week to get a Bahamas SIM card for your phone. $30 gets you 2GB of 3G data and you can use your phone as a hotspot for Ipads and laptops. Usually better than wifi options.

Great Harbor Cay is a great stop too but its a long day (or night) beyond Bimini. If you're not on a tight schedule, I'd spend several days at each.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 06:10   #19

We go to Rodriquez Key & wait for a weather window, if needed. Go to Three Sisters Rock, then a 90degree heading to Bimini.
dragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 06:20   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

I've left Key West for Bimini several times, Marathon is even better! Oh, and BTW, I love Bimini (albeit not as much now-a-days since fires and hurricanes have erased some of my favorite places)
Old 11-04-2015, 09:14   #21

Boat: 1970 Morgan M38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig37 View Post
Sailed from Marathon to Bimini in January. Headed out to the lighthouse, then a straight shot. 18 hours.
What lighthouse are you referring to? Sombrero Key light?
Old 11-04-2015, 09:48   #22

All of the discussion so far have been good and reasonable, depending on your goals. I have crossed from Rodriguez to Nassau then South. I cross onto the Grand Bahama Bank via South Riding Rock then sail onto the Bank and Anchor. I anchor again outside of The Berrys then down to Nassau and check in. After waiting for weather in Marathon, Rodriguez Key and then sailing three days it is time for a slip and reprovisioning, especially rum, cheap rum.
AlwaysFORSAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:37   #23
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Been crossing to Bimini dozens of times, usually from Miami or Key Biscayne. (No Name Harbor)
Elliot Key even better if hou are already South of Miami.
Bimini can be a cool place to hang out if you are not looking for Las Vegas.
Sea Food, Rum, beaches and nature gallore.
Ancoring is good but rolly off Radio Beach.
Depends on the swells.
Poor holding in the harbor, might as well take a dock at Weches for a few $$ and have access to showers and garbage as well as a BBQ.
Anchoring off Paradise Point can be okay, use a spring line on the anchor chain if you are rolling in abeam swells. Makes a big difference.
Old 13-04-2015, 06:22   #24

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Hank, in case I don't see you around boot key before you go (I won't be able to leave till Friday most likely), my friends in summerland recommended checking in at port lucaya on Grand Bahama. Tie up at the fuel dock, buy a gallon, and walk down the street to check in was there advice. Ocean reef yacht club has decent slip prices if you want to stay in the area for a bit, then it's a decent run south to the berries and with easterlies a bit of upwind work into the abacos. Working north up the abacos sets up well for a run to fort pierce if the weather window is short, or a reach to charleston if things look safe. That was their recommendation for me with 1.5 months to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 14:00   #25

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Do you want to motor into head seas? Leave from Miami. If you want a great sail with the push of the Gulfstream, leave from Rodriguez or Marathon. Always aim about 20 degrees south of Bimini and with the set and drift and a few minor tweeks along the way, it should put you at Bimini's front door. Good luck and I hope . . . good sailing! (not motoring).
Old 14-04-2015, 14:12   #26

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Do you want to motor into head seas? Leave from Miami. If you want a great sail with the push of the Gulfstream, leave from Rodriguez or Marathon. Always aim about 20 degrees south of Bimini and with the set and drift and a few minor tweeks along the way, it should put you at Bimini's front door. Good luck and I hope . . . good sailing! (not motoring).
You can still hit head seas leaving from these two places, depends on what the wind decides to do......
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 15:27   #27

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
You can still hit head seas leaving from these two places, depends on what the wind decides to do......

So, Dulce,
Are you saying that you'd leave on an unsettled weather report or a North wind to cross the Gulfstream from Rodriguez or Marathon? This would be unwise.
Old 14-04-2015, 16:27   #28

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Not at all, but if the weather is really nice, you.can get to bimini pretty quick leaving from elliott key etc. Pretty much a nice crossing is very weather dependant regardless of where you leave from and that leaving from elliot or south Miami doesn't mean you'd necessarily be motoring into a head sea

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 13:20   #29

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

Hey Tenacious

Leaving from marathon on a SSE wind is a great sail. I've made gunn cay in 16 hrs on 10 to 15 knot winds when single handing I usually leave from rodriquez. any wind out of the south but preferably SE to SSE I also like Bimini But won't inter without daylight....6 ft draft.

Have fun & fair seas
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, bimini