Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2015, 18:51   #31

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Keeping The Folks Back Home Informed

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
I just came across this app which is interesting
http://www.yachtie.co.uk
It's almost what I'm after, a simple way to put a location on a map for family and friends to track. Unfortunately it's only available for other app users, so embedding on a web page isn't an option yet. It will send a position report via email though. So reports can be sent via sat phone, HF etc. it also has some interesting features, like adding friends yachts and messaging.
I'm still looking for a decent way to put a position report on an embedded map on a web page (without ongoing subscriptions) though if anyone has any suggestions.
I sometimes use an app, both ashore and afloat, called One Touch Location (Android). It sends GPS coordinates and a Google Maps link with the coordinates already embedded so others can just click and view in Google Maps. Sends check in message (which you can edit first) via SMS or email (so only good where you have cell or wifi service). Pretty slick.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 19:05   #32

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
I just came across this app which is interesting
YachtieÂ*|Â*Yacht Tracker for iPhone/iPad
It's almost what I'm after, a simple way to put a location on a map for family and friends to track. Unfortunately it's only available for other app users, so embedding on a web page isn't an option yet. It will send a position report via email though. So reports can be sent via sat phone, HF etc. it also has some interesting features, like adding friends yachts and messaging.
I'm still looking for a decent way to put a position report on an embedded map on a web page (without ongoing subscriptions) though if anyone has any suggestions.
I'm not sure what you mean.. You can embed a delorme map in a webpage. I have done it.. The code to do it looks like this.

<iframe width='810' height='760' frameborder='0' marginheight='0' marginwidth='0' src='https://share.delorme.com/Yourdelormname'></iframe>
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 20:31   #33
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Monte-
Not quite what you are looking for, but IF the position message is given in a standard format (and a number of them are not) then you can email it to any reasonably competent person, and if they just cut'n'paste it into Google Maps...Voila, they will be given a pinpoint on a map, showing that position.

Altogether, not a whole lot of work.

Assuming they send position reports in a correct standard format.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:23   #34
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Yes thanks for the feedback. I did find this site which looks quite good as well
http://skipr.net/where-is/boat-pages/?boatid=2123
It's free and seems to save positions, reports and tracks for 2 years or maybe longer if the account is used. It also allows position reports by email if you subscribe for $50/ year.
This is the sort of thing I'd like to use, but preferably using my own google map page.
Yes HS I had thought of emailing positions to a relative on passage for them to update a google earth page as well, but wanted to find a free version that I have full control over.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:20   #35

Quote:
Yes thanks for the feedback. I did find this site which looks quite good as well
Where is Sephina? :
It's free and seems to save positions, reports and tracks for 2 years or maybe longer if the account is used. It also allows position reports by email if you subscribe for $50/ year.
This is the sort of thing I'd like to use, but preferably using my own google map page.
Yes HS I had thought of emailing positions to a relative on passage for them to update a google earth page as well, but wanted to find a free version that I have full control over.
Do a google search for "Google Maps KML file". I'm pretty sure this is what you are looking for. These files can be generated in a number of ways if you don't have a tracking device. If you do have a Delorme device and account, they are generated automatically. You can access the links for the "Social" tab in your Delorme account.

Here is an example. I'm pretty sure it will actually show a track if I had an active account. My account is currently suspended so it only shows the last point I uploaded.

http://www.campgen.com/mapshare.html
Old 01-06-2015, 18:55   #36
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks traveller. I'm looking for something that doesn't require a subscription and won't delete tracks. The skipr link posted above seems quite good. Also of interest is marinetraffic.com now allows position reports by email, or using an app. This is quite a good feature for showing current position when out of range of AIS stations. I just tried the app and it updated our position instantly. Handy in the Caribbean where coverage is sketchy and would probably work for ocean crossings as well.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/...0c9ef4c6991e84
Old 01-06-2015, 19:18   #37

Quote:
Thanks traveller. I'm looking for something that doesn't require a subscription and won't delete tracks. The skipr link posted above seems quite good. Also of interest is marinetraffic.com now allows position reports by email, or using an app. This is quite a good feature for showing current position when out of range of AIS stations. I just tried the app and it updated our position instantly. Handy in the Caribbean where coverage is sketchy and would probably work for ocean crossings as well.

Live Ships Map - AIS - Vessel Traffic and Positions - AIS Marine Traffic
KML files do not require a subscription. You can create a KML file manually if you really wanted. It would never delete tracks cause you would control the data in the KML file. You then upload the KML file to a webserver, overwriting your last one if you want. I'm guessing there is an Android app that will do all of that as long as you connected to 3G or WIFI.

Your blog/webpage then uses the google maps api to merge the data from the kml into an embedded google map like I posted above.

You control everything, from the size of the embedded map to the data being posted. Easy peasy.
Old 01-06-2015, 19:36   #38
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes but it won't allow updates by email while at sea, which is really the aim of the exercise. The skipr will, with a small subscription ($50/year) the sailr app will but only app users can view the track, delorme, spot, iridium and iridium go will but are ongoing subscriptions. If waypoints could be placed on a google earth map via email it would probably be the best solution. YOTREPS works but is bit fidly to set up.
Old 01-06-2015, 19:57   #39
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Do a google search for "Google Maps KML file". I'm pretty sure this is what you are looking for. These files can be generated in a number of ways if you don't have a tracking device. If you do have a Delorme device and account, they are generated automatically. You can access the links for the "Social" tab in your Delorme account.

Here is an example. I'm pretty sure it will actually show a track if I had an active account. My account is currently suspended so it only shows the last point I uploaded.

http://www.campgen.com/mapshare.html
Quote:
Yes but it won't allow updates by email while at sea, which is really the aim of the exercise. The skipr will, with a small subscription ($50/year) the sailr app will but only app users can view the track, delorme, spot, iridium and iridium go will but are ongoing subscriptions. If waypoints could be placed on a google earth map via email it would probably be the best solution. YOTREPS works but is bit fidly to set up.
You can update a website file using a sat phone and ftp, bit fiddly but it can be done. I've used that method before using a spreadsheet to create the kml file manually inputting lat and long. Probably easier ways though.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 20:57   #40

Quote:
This can absolutely be done if you control the webserver and e-mail server. A simple script in Linux could take coordinates you send via e-mail, create a kml file, and drop it in a web directory.

Of course this would take some pretty fair Linux and scripting skills.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:25   #41
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes, I'm not that computer savy, but I realise it can be done. I did mention it in the opencpn thread, hoping someone would take up the challenge
Old 02-06-2015, 07:54   #42

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:

DeLorme is a month-to-month subscription, that works anywhere and is effortless in generating track for others to follow. How are you going to do "email while at sea" - with no wifi connection or iridium? SSB?
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 08:54   #43

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Assume you are talking about an Atlantic crossing. We crossed in 2013 and use winlink for both position updates and download grib weather files. If you do not have your ham license you can use sailmail.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote