Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2011, 10:21   #1

Just Downloaded Jeppesen iPad Plan2Nav

Yesterday, I downloaded Jeppesen new iPad marine Nav package from the Apple app store.
It was a free download, but you have to pay for the maps you want.
I got the USA east coast plus the Bahamas for $29.
I've been waiting for this app since the boat show">Miami Boat show and I must say, I'm a little disappointed.
I've only had about 30 min to play with it and cannot figure the IU out completely.
At this time, I could not find help sections or tutorials.
I could plan one route, but not several. Jeppesen does not even mention the App on their web site.

I'm sure this will all be corrected in the future
57guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 13:57   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Just downloaded Jeppesen ipad Plan2Nav

Plan2Nav Mobile App | Light Marine | Jeppesen
Old 18-09-2011, 14:16   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSNavX View Post

I have iNavX and it works great. I've used it for 6 Months from Fla to the Bahamas. I like the UI and it does everything I want to do.
My only concern is your map data.
I'm told by many boaters in the Bahamas that Explorer Charts are the gold standard. They are updated every year and are the most accurate.

I'm told that Jeppesen C-map (which Plan2Nav uses) are digital copies of the Explorer Charts. I don't yet know this, but will be checking it out.
I know when mine and another boat left Staniel Cay headed North, your maps said we had 12 ft of water. We only had 3 ft and had to turn around.
Luckily, neither of us got stuck. I have several areas like this that I want to compare the two charts.

That being said, I love your App especially the ease of use.
Old 18-09-2011, 14:27   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

C-Map and Navionics have been long time competitors (ever since they split). Each has cartography that is better in some places and less so in others. My advice is to use multiple sources of charts and guides. Because of the smart phones (primarily iPhone), the prices for electronic charting have fallen. As such one can try and have many different apps. With iOS multiple apps can be used in parallel to compare the charts and other data. In the case of iNavX both Navionics and NV-Verlag charts are supported in the Bahamas. Let us know how well the C-Map charts work out.
Old 18-09-2011, 17:00   #5

Re: Just Downloaded Jeppesen iPad Plan2Nav

I will let you know what I find out.
I tried NV-Verlog on iNavx , but didn't like the way the maps were not semless. I need to load too many maps for each area and it was hard for me to plan a route. I might have been doing something wrong, but had to keep loading several maps for the exuma's.
Old 18-09-2011, 18:56   #6

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
I like iSailor, eseacharts for active captain info.SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 03:38   #7
Marine Service Provider

I have just downloaded plan2nav for the iPad 2 and downloaded charts for the med. The app has no user guide or online help I searched for plan2 nav on the tech support site for Jefferson it came up with no results. As a technical author I have offered to write a user guide for a fee. If this is declined I uuwill write and publish my own user guide for publication on Amazon for about 5 $ . If you are using this app what problems are you having so I can ensure it's in the User Guide.

Regards

Richard Fairman JP BA Author SeaClear Unleashed
r.fairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 04:24   #8

I will buy one for $5.
I don't know enough about the program to know what problems I'm having.
I cannot figure out how to plan and save routes. etc.
Jeppesen is two big a Company to now have a instructional manual in work. I keep hoping to see it arrive, but I will still buy yours.
Thanks
GP
Old 27-09-2011, 05:05   #9

Boat: tayana 37

question, i have an ipad 2 but havent downloaded the program. does the mapping work only when you are in range of a wireless signal or does it work like a regular gps with reception.
thanks,
r
veda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 05:14   #10

Once you download it, it will work anywhere. Only GPS signal needed, which is everywhere.
Old 27-09-2011, 10:39   #11
Marine Service Provider

You need a wifi or 3G connection to download charts but the app works independently of the internet when navigating. Of course you have to have the iPad 2 3 G version to have the gps facility. Have asked this question to Jefferson My last question to them resulting In a zilch repines My interest in the app was from the point of view of accessing the cmap charts and as a potential client as a technical author. At this stage the app has no User Guide or Online Help. the app is not intuitive to use, but I am happy to act as a informal technical help if I can use the information in my independently published User Guide. The app can be downloaded as a demo with large scale charts only
Old 27-09-2011, 10:41   #12
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

For those with out an iPad 3G or iPhone 4, the BadElf GPS is another GPS option ..

Bad Elf GPS

Works well with any Nav apps.

The iPhone 4 and iPad 3G GPS work independently of any cell or WiFI service/subscription.
Old 28-09-2011, 05:48   #13

Please put me down to review the App. I want to use Plan2Nav because it uses C-map.
Although, I'm very happy with iNav-X
Old 30-09-2011, 23:26   #14

I may be buying the iNavX for ipad2 - will I need to also buy charts and tide app as well. Can I buy just the chart and tide app? Doesn't iNavX already provide charts and tides? Do I need both or one or the other? Why not just buy a GPS and use the ipad2 with 3GB for other purposes? Is 3GB enough to support GPS along the ICW and still have room for blogging and email? Is it that complicated for a novice?
swsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:41   #15
Marine Service Provider

I am not an expert on inavx but what can ascertain from the app store hype the inavx program is available to download for about £ 32 which includes access to all the free NOAA charts for US waters. if you want charts for others areas you have to subscribe to the xtraverse. Service for about £10 per year you can then download maps from chart .providers to use with inavx for my area the med and the black sea it is about £40 . i am sure others will come along with more information the charts you down load will only be usable with your inavx have you considered the avionics app for the iPad 2 about £35 for the app including one avionics area. There is the plan 2 nav app which is free to download. You just pay for a cmap area you download. Have a look at the projection error thread

Regards

Richard

Tags
Ipad