Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2011, 03:54   #16

Boat: Fisher, 31, 9,65M + Hallberg 33 Mistral
Quote:
Originally Posted by swsw
I may be buying the iNavX for ipad2 - will I need to also buy charts and tide app as well. Can I buy just the chart and tide app? Doesn't iNavX already provide charts and tides? Do I need both or one or the other? Why not just buy a GPS and use the ipad2 with 3GB for other purposes? Is 3GB enough to support GPS along the ICW and still have room for blogging and email? Is it that complicated for a novice?
iNavx works with AyeTidesXL which you have to install on iPad. If you need chart suplement to the included NOAA charts, you can buy additional charts through a subscription (10$/year) with X-Traverse at a very reasonable price (35$ for all of the US). Even the 16gb iPad is large enough to support blogging and e-mail and lots of other applications. Consider finding an iPad1 on offer if your not going to use the camera function, but make sure you buy the 3G version. Not complicated at all, read the guide carefully.
Selene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:31   #17

Re: Just Downloaded Jeppesen iPad Plan2Nav

I'm currently in love with the Navionics app on the iPhone. I used it last year on a delivery passage from Perth WA to Singapore. That included entering Geraldton fishing harbour, Christmas Island, Sunda Strait and, trickiest of all the Durian Strait just south of Singapore.

I've also used it (last month) threading through the Spratley Reefs en route Camh Ranh Bay to Kota Kinabalu. I'm using it on an Iphone 3GS but it works even better on the Iphone 4 because the GPS chipset is improved. For the money it just cannot be beat!
mallenjo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:40   #18

Boat: gozzard 44

Just bought the Plan2Nav East Coast charts for $29.99 on my iPad 2. It would be nice to be able to also load on my iPhone 4, as is possible with the Navimatics or Navionics navigation apps.

How about it, GPSNavX ?

Ronbo
ronbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:38   #19
Marine Service Provider

I think the plan2nav prog wil aso run on the iphone but you will need to download the cmap charts to the iphone and of course pay for them The plan2nav app is free so you can try before you buy with the supplied base charts.

regards

richard
r.fairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:41   #20
Marine Service Provider

If any users of plan2nav need support please ask here as i am happy to supply FOC. I need the research

regards

Richard Fairman
Old 04-10-2011, 13:14   #21

Thumbs up Re: iNavX and charts and GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selene View Post
iNavx works with AyeTidesXL which you have to install on iPad. If you need chart suplement to the included NOAA charts, you can buy additional charts through a subscription (10$/year) with X-Traverse at a very reasonable price (35$ for all of the US). Even the 16gb iPad is large enough to support blogging and e-mail and lots of other applications. Consider finding an iPad1 on offer if your not going to use the camera function, but make sure you buy the 3G version. Not complicated at all, read the guide carefully.
To add a little more to this branch of the discussion...

If by some chance you have an iPhone or iPad that has no GPS or you are so far away from cellphone tower assisted GPS, you can get add-on modules that give you full independent GPS. Example: do a Google search on "Bad Elf GPS". This module works with GPS apps like iNavX and I imagine it would be just as good for Plan2Nav as well (no personal experience there, just an educated guess). There are a couple other brands out there as well for iPad compatible GPS add-on modules.

The iNavX app has a lot of depth to its features so its worth going through the help guide for it at Contents

For all the X-Traverse hosted USA, Canadian, international charts (Navionics, NV Digital, CHS, others -- but no C-MAP format charts) available for iNavX via download from X-Traverse see the full lists for...

iPad:

Fugawi X-Traverse

iPhone:

Fugawi X-Traverse

The main tricks to getting the app and charts to work together are to (a) create the X-Traverse account, confirm it with the auto-sent email X-Travese sends; (b) Get your case sensitive password perfect, probably just stick to letters and numbers, nothing too fancy (c) you may find Wi-Fi works better for downloading the charts than 3G cellular.

The downloads of charts typically take 30 seconds to several minutes depending on your internet connection. The file sizes vary from a few hundred KB for raster charts, and about 5 to 70 MB for the Navionics vector charts. So most people will find they don't consume all their iPad memory, assumign they've downloaded just the charts they actually need from 1 or 2 or 3 chart collections. Once the charts are downloaded, no further internet connection is needed, they stay installed as long as the iNavX app remains installed.
Andre_Fugawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 14:19   #22

Boat: Fisher, 31, 9,65M + Hallberg 33 Mistral
Did not know a plug-in GPS for the iPhone/iPad was available. Good reference/news for sailors with the non-3G version.
Selene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:36   #23

Boat: gozzard 44

Heard from Plan2Nav, purchased charts can be loaded on up to 5 devices.
ronbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 22:49   #24
Marine Service Provider

Documenting plan2nav proves to be very difficult almost impossible. Numerous crashes and lock ups. Compass does not point north when another compass app points north ok. Searching for photos goes into an endless loop. Anchor watch works ok but ring fence is set at 50m so any gps error will trigger it. Jepperson still do not answer any of my technical questions. I tried to remind them that I am a customer who has bought the cmap charts but still no response.

I welcome feedback from other plan2nav users

Regards

Richard
Old 13-10-2011, 06:50   #25

Richard
I'm sorry to hear about all the bugs in Plan2nav. Must have new leadership in Jeppesen.
I've used their Aviation maps for years with no problems.
I downloaded Plan2Nav when it first came out, but have not had a chance to use it. I plan to get on my boat Nov 1st for a 6 Months cruise.
I was disappointed at the lack of manuals and help with the Plan2Nav app.
Was looking forward to your input.
57guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 06:35   #26
Marine Service Provider

If you have any questions regarding Plan2Nav, please contact Jeppesen at [phone number removed] or e-mail: [email address removed] Our dedicated support staff is happy to assist.

Jeppesen Support Team
JeppesenSupport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 17:22   #27

There is a manual available online. Go to: http://jeppesen.com/documents/marine...UserManual.pdf
ram9678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 14:09   #28

Hi Richard,
New in the sailing community. I purchased a chart from Jepessen for the iPad I tried to uploaded in the iPhone too but failed. Jepessen online support advice to uninstall and install again the app and use the restore chart option on the app settings menu.
I got always the message all your purchased charts are installed.
I did contacted Jepessen tech support and after several mails they end saying is an app bug and I will have to wait for the next release.
So in the meanwhile I have paid for nothing.
Any idea I can try ?
By the way when downloading weather info, do not select knots as their figure is WRONG! If you choose m/sg made a reading and change to knots, you will state the readings are not coherent.

Best regards,
Eureka from the Med
Quote:
Originally Posted by r.fairman View Post
If any users of plan2nav need support please ask here as i am happy to supply FOC. I need the research

regards

Richard Fairman
Eureka2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 07:21   #29

Hi Richard, I installed last update of plan2nav to IPad ,after that it is not start at all , I installed it to , the program is working on it ,but it is not possible to restore charts
Regards
Andrey
Zenit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 07:23   #30

Hi Richard, I installed last update of plan2nav to IPad ,after that it is not start at all , I installed it to IPad2, the program is working on it ,but it is not possible to restore charts
Regards
Andrey
Zenit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ipad