Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2014, 08:00   #16

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
Re: Jamaica to Panama or Aruba to Panama ?

We did the reverse as we sailed from Miami to Mexico and down and around to Panama and Cartagena and back to Panama then did a 5 day sail to Jamaica sailing 42 degs to the wind for 5 days or so.
If you reverse it it would have been a great down hill run and very fast and miss the worse winds off the Colombia that can make route very uncomfortable. Oh and do not forget the major river flowing in the Carib down near the Colombia point that will be full of logs ect if it has rained up stream. There have been some posting on that here someplace.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 17:07   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Nov is still the rainy season. Multiple boats got hit by lightening in one anchorage in the San Blas just a few weeks ago (ask Mark for the details). Sometime between the end of Nov and say mid-Dec the rainy season stops and the Christmas winds, aka trades, start back up. So it is a transition time of year. Both paths that you describe should be an OK passage. I'd rather show up in the San Blas latter, rather earlier -- but I'm a lightening chicken -- only because I foolishly put a 65 foot piece of aluminum straight up in the air on my boat.
Yeah, I did that, too, though not quite as tall as yours.
sneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 17:09   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
We did the reverse as we sailed from Miami to Mexico and down and around to Panama and Cartagena and back to Panama then did a 5 day sail to Jamaica sailing 42 degs to the wind for 5 days or so.
If you reverse it it would have been a great down hill run and very fast and miss the worse winds off the Colombia that can make route very uncomfortable. Oh and do not forget the major river flowing in the Carib down near the Colombia point that will be full of logs ect if it has rained up stream. There have been some posting on that here someplace.
Yes, at Barraquilla. I think the strong outflowing current from that river (can't remember the name offhand) is the main thing that makes that stretch so treacherous.
sneuman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Aruba, Jamaica, Panama, jamaica, panama, aruba