Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 13:03   #1

Is an IPAD with InavX Going To Be The Best ?

My father just purchased a 24.5 foot Bayliner last year and didn't get a big chance to use it much. "Might I add we live in Newfoundland, Canada"
After looking around our current area for Gps systems he realised that the screens on most of the gps systems are rather small and being the age he is he has issues being able to look at a screen of that size.
Many other Gps's run into the thousands of dollars for a system that is any bit decent.
I stumbled upon INavX as a fairly interesting program to use with an IPAD as a possible good choice. I'm very unfamiliar with IPADs however. I'd like to know how there online feature works and if we could get a connection being several miles off land. For the program and Ipad it seems this will be really heading towards my fathers cap in price of what he would be willing to spend. I don't want to make a mistake with this and If I could get a number to call I would.

So again I'd like to know how the internet connection will work. We're in a fairly remote location.
How does this compare to GPS systems. Could this be a good alternative, will he be pleased with this choice?
Markgosse21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 13:45   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Is an IPAD with InavX going to be the best.

The 3G+ wifi model of the iPad has a GPS chip in it and will function as a normal GPS.
The charts are very inexpensive for what you get and the big screen is help.

However the iPad is more delicate than the dedicated marine hardware. All critical systems need a backup on a boat, but the more delicate nature of the iPad, particularly in a smaller boat makes this especially important. The other issue is that the iPad is not easily seen in direct sunlight. With poor vision particularly behind a waterproof cover the iPad will probably be useless in direct sunlight.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 13:49   #3

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

An iPad with iNavX is a good tool with limitations.

If the iPad is a 3G or 4G version, the embedded GPS will work fine regardless of Internet connection. There is no need to purchase cell service for the GPS to work. It is simply that the GPS hardware is only available on devices with cell hardware. Apple confused its customers by referring to "assisted" GPS leading some to think that an Internet connection was required for use. It simply means that the iPad will use cell or wifi signals to triangulate location quickly. The GPS works fine with on its own as many users will attest.

I use iNavX with Navionics charts in New England. Although I have an MFD, I use the iPad as my primary routing tool. I can't comment on the charts available for your area.

The downsides of the iPad are water resistance and sunlight viewing. If you search the forum, you'll find several posts about cases to provide water resistance. However, this is a consumer product and not designed for the outdoor marine environment. Think about how it will be protected on board. The screen is difficult to see in bright sunlight and only viewable in landscape view with polarized sunglasses. Apparently, the newest versions are better, but the screen is not really designed for bright sunlight viewing. I keep mine under the dodger or bimini so have no issues, but that isn't always an option.

Finally, I wouldn't rely on the iPad as my sole navigation resource. That's particularly the case in the region like yours with fog and lots of unpleasantness to bump into. Paper charts and a backup GPS would be a minimum in addition.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 13:50   #4
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

The iPad can get a location fix from both the American GPS and the Russian GLONASS satellites. It is currently one of the few satnav's that can work when GPS is switched off.

cheers,
Nick
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 14:20   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
The 3G+ wifi model of the iPad has a GPS chip in it and will function as a normal GPS.
The charts are very inexpensive for what you get and the big screen is help.

However the iPad is more delicate than the dedicated marine hardware. All critical systems need a backup on a boat, but the more delicate nature of the iPad, particularly in a smaller boat makes this especially important. The other issue is that the iPad is not easily seen in direct sunlight. With poor vision particularly behind a waterproof cover the iPad will probably be useless in direct sunlight.
+1

Besides, the touch screen is useless when your hands are wet or very cold.

Also, INavX is very limited in functionality compared to a real marine plotter.

I have one of these and like it. One giant advantage is that the charts are so cheap, you can afford to keep them up to the minute up to date. Besides that, you can take it with you wherever you are in the boat. I set it up next to my bunk when I'm at anchor, with anchor alarm armed - it's fantastic for this.

But I would never remotely, vaguely consider it a primary nav device. It's a very useful secondary/backup device.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 14:27   #6

I should add that we're not planning on going extremely far out. He want's something simple with a good size screen that can work well. We're not planning on going 50 miles off land. Hes just planning on going to other areas around the island maybe a couple miles off land max. We just wana make sure we don't run into any cliffs underwater.
Markgosse21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 14:35   #7

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

The biggest downside of the ipad for me has been that, as far as I know, there is not any way of setting up a split screen view showing both charts and data. Even the smallest, simplest chartplotters have this capability.
4arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 15:04   #8

I have the newest iPad with iNavX and the related tidal program, and I like it. No internet needed unless you want to update the grib files (and for installing the program initially ) I like the combination, very handy. Plan your route anywhere and take it aboard et voila. I have it combined with the WiFi shipmodul and ever since than I'm able to see all my instruments on the iPad as well. Really great.
George64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 15:10   #9

Boat: 1980 CheoyLee35

Hi Mark,
You may want to check out some of the smaller chartplotters available. I got a small Standard Horizon plotter at binnacle.com in Halifax and find it works pretty well. It's under a grand with some charts. We get a lot of "moisture" in Atlantic Canada and I don't think having the Ipad down below all the time will be practical. You will want a good case I expect. I don't have an Ipad but I do have charts on my Iphone and find them hard to see outside.
Shoalcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 16:00   #10

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40

We use our iPad as a backup, but it works great. I just bought a good waterproof case from Lifedge (there display at a New Zealand boat show was an iPad in a fishtank.)
jim_thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 16:01   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markgosse21 View Post
I should add that we're not planning on going extremely far out. He want's something simple with a good size screen that can work well. We're not planning on going 50 miles off land. Hes just planning on going to other areas around the island maybe a couple miles off land max. We just wana make sure we don't run into any cliffs underwater.

Then bring a handheld waterproof GPS and paper charts. This can be done for under $200. Use the iPad as your backup.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 19:11   #12
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Here you go: iPad, chart, data, satellite photo, AIS etc. I can even add radar.

iPads don't work with wet hands? How well do pencils and paper charts work with wet hands... or why would you want to navigate with wet hands?

cheers,
Nick.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 19:37   #13

Boat: Little Harbor 46 (1988)
You simply may want to check a used chart plotter. One gen older plotters are cheap on eBay and will match all the needs you seem to be looking for, and if you don't already have a chart plotter even an older one will seem amazing in all it's capabilities. I'm a big fan of my iPad but don't like the idea at all of having to rely on it in a storm. I want marine grade equipment as my primary source of anything related to safety, and navigation is at the top of that list.

JR
jr_spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 19:36   #14

[QUOTE=s/v Jedi;985945How well do pencils and paper charts work with wet hands... or why would you want to navigate with wet hands?[/QUOTE]

LOL!!! pencils and paper charts work just fine with wet hands and have done so for hundreds of years.

I presume that the question "why would you want to navigate with wet hands?" is a troll, but I'll bite.

Quite often the time when you really have to navigate, plot positions etc.. is when you, unavoidably, have wet hands. There are greenies crashing over the deck, or you are in fog and everything is soaking wet, it is pissing down etc..

You can't wipe your hands dry enough, water is running off your foulies onto hand, the chart, the screen etc..

Capacitive touch screens are a pain in this situation. The better marine gear has inductive screens which work with wet hands or while wearing gloves.
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 19:40   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Here you go: iPad, chart, data, satellite photo, AIS etc. I can even add radar.
B.T.W. Nick, what are you using to put TZ onto your iPad? Splash?

I was going to download Splashtop2 but I see that works via a server somewhere rather than on your local network.. grrrrrr

Chris
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iNavX, Ipad, ipad, inavx