Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 03:08   #31

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.
Re: iPad4 - iNavX v Navionics Pros & Cons

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
We have an older Raymarine plotter and Navionics Gold charts and did not see a problem at the Dateline. Tried to see and get a photo right at line line showing 180 (W or E or neither, I wanted to see) but it went from 179 and change west to the same east.
Thanks for the info which is what I would expect iNavx to do as well but it doesn't which is absolutely BS around Fiji. As iNavx also uses Navionics Gold Maps why is it affected like this but apparently plotters running the same map series are not? This is a real achilles heel of the iNavx app in this part of the Pacific. Surely it can't be rocket science to fix this issue.

Shame that GPSNavx has not been contributing regarding this issue as he is normally quick to reply but not in this case.
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:20   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
You have to remember that electronic charts are only as good as the paper chart data that went into them. In the Bahamas, the Explorer chart kits are way better than any of the government charts. Garmin license this so their electronic charts are better. In the Eastern Caribbean, Navionics have licensed the Don Street/Iolaire data so their electronic charts are better here than Garmin.

In the Pacific we found the Navionics gold charts to be very reliable when you were in more frequented locales and often not good in places far off the beaten track. Not a surprise since the paper charts are not good in these spots either. When you look at the data source it will often say something like original survey 1883 and the last survey 1943 when the US Navy was scrambling around improving surveys in any spots that might have military value. Fortunately eyeball nav is pretty easy in these spots, but it would be foolish to close the shore at night.

In Indonesia, the Navionics charts were incredibly inaccurate except around ports and through major passes. We anchored in one wide bay that had one sounding of something like 8.3 m. The water was something like 18 m there. We just crept in until we found 10 m or so. We anchored in the mouth of a river with 8 m of water. Neither the cove nor the river were on the chart. when we left in the morning the plotter has us on land for over a mile while the sounder could not find the bottom. The Brtish and American charts were no better - they exist for commercial and military use and not for gunkholding. The Indonesian (old Dutch?) charts are much better but still not that reliable. Eyeballing and depth sounder and commonsense are the norm. Also, any cruising guides, Noonsite, SSCA Bulletin and similar data is invaluable. We were helped with a list of waypoints from a written blog from a Dutch sailor that got copied a lot.
Yes I certainly agree that it is a worry when one considers how old some of the survey data that the charts are based on. With all of the technology available these days including aerial surveys and a myriad of other things you would think that the data would have been updated to that taken over 70 years ago. It probably just comes down to the $$$ these days and governments have other priorities I suppose.
Old 06-03-2013, 13:29   #33

Boat: Comet, ketch, 39
Has anyone heard if garmin is coming out with the bluechart marine app for androids?
ketchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 03:50   #34

Just giving this thread a bump.

As 12 months have now transpired since I raised the issue of the dateline which goes through Fiji I would have thought that this issue would have been corrected via a software update by now.

This is a real PITA when doing passage planning in this region and trying to map out potential voyages and stopovers.

Come on iNavx how about fixing this? As is does not affect any chart plotters that I know of surely it can't be too hard to fix the iPad version.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:31   #35
cruiser

How many chart plotters can you get for $49.95?
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 16:45   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
Your comment may have been tongue in cheek but if not do you have any first hand experience of this issue

For the passage I did I had to buy 2 sets if charts that cost $150 and of course there is also the cost of the iPad to run the app.

Even a cheapie small screen chart plotter doesn't have this dateline issue.

iNavx need to fix this issue as it is the Achilles heel of this app and for boats which are based near this dateline say in Fiji or in Vanuatu where our boat was delivered it is a real PITA for any passage planning. If you put in a waypoint over this dateline your track line actually goes right around the globe in the WRONG direction but the distances etc are still accurate.

Not good enough - please fix it or at least IN THE INTERIM put a warning message about this issue to any purchasers of this chart set.
Old 05-03-2014, 17:11   #37

Quote:
For the passage I did I had to buy 2 sets if charts that cost $150 and of course there is also the cost of the iPad to run the app.

Even a cheapie small screen chart plotter doesn't have this dateline issue.

iNavx need to fix this issue as it is the Achilles heel of this app and for boats which are based near this dateline say in Fiji or in Vanuatu where our boat was delivered it is a real PITA for any passage planning. If you put in a waypoint over this dateline your track line actually goes right around the globe in the WRONG direction but the distances etc are still accurate.

Not good enough - please fix it or at least IN THE INTERIM put a warning message about this issue to any purchasers of this chart set.
Old 05-03-2014, 20:31   #38
cruiser

Then I'd say you better get out there and buy that cheapie, small screen chart plotter, because it doesn't have this issue.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:43   #39

Quote:
Then I'd say you better get out there and buy that cheapie, small screen chart plotter, because it doesn't have this issue.
I really don't see how your comments are adding anything constructive to this subject.

If you have sailed in this area and have experienced the issue then maybe you would have a bit more understanding and possibly some empathy resulting in you having something worthwhile to add.

FYI the vessel that I did the delivery on had a primary inbuilt Raymarine E165 chart plotter with 15.4" screen. The iPad is just a backup but as I make other passages in this region then I rightfully would like my backup system to not have an issue that other GPS plotters using the same chartset do not have.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:51   #40
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Miura 31

Ozbullwinkle, you keep on posting that iNav X need to sort the dateline problem out. Have you actually emailed them and informed them of the problem? I have been using iNav X for a number of years and when I have had a problem with either the app or the charts, they have sorted it promptly and improved the app. It does not help posting on this forum without working directly with the software guys. John.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 17:34   #41
cruiser

I don't think he wants a solution.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:04   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Ozbullwinkle, you keep on posting that iNav X need to sort the dateline problem out. Have you actually emailed them and informed them of the problem? I have been using iNav X for a number of years and when I have had a problem with either the app or the charts, they have sorted it promptly and improved the app. It does not help posting on this forum without working directly with the software guys. John.
Thanks for your input John. Yes, it was raised with them over 12 months ago and I know several other cruisers who have also raised it. But no reply. I have written again recently and will hopefully get a reply this time and will update this thread if I do. I thought that someone on the forum may have had some updated info which is why I gave the thread a bump.

Jammer Six - have you ever heard the saying that if you have nothing worthwhile to say then it is better to say nothing?
Old 07-03-2014, 18:14   #43
cruiser

GPSNavX is one of the vendors here with the fastest response time. He usually responds the same day.

One of his most frequent responses is silence, and there's always a reason for it.

I'm amused that you, of all people, are using the dead horse icon.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:36   #44

Boat: Lagoon 450

This months Yachting Monthly has 2 articles, tests on navigating with an iPad, pros and cons and all.
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:36   #45

Quote:
GPSNavX is one of the vendors here with the fastest response time. He usually responds the same day.

One of his most frequent responses is silence, and there's always a reason for it.

I'm amused that you, of all people, are using the dead horse icon.
Yes, I was hoping for a reply from GPSNavx as he has previously referred the issue to Navionics for comment 12 months ago. But no update since then. As you say if the reply is silence there is always a reason, it would be nice to hear what it is.

This is why I used the dead horse icon as they just don't seem to want to comment about the issue.

If they can't fix it or won't fix it an official reply would be appreciated and not just by me. Surely it would be in their best interests from a product support perspective.

Tags
iNavX, navionics