Got a bit tired of waiting for a reply from GPSNavx to my Jan 10 questions and time is getting short before I leave to commence my Pacific passage
. So, I have bit the bullet and have purchased iNavx
+ the 34XG Japan
& Pacific Islands charts
through Xtraverse for my iPad
So $150 later, I have been having a look around the application & at this stage I must say that I am a little underwhelmed about a few things.
Possibly this may just be due to unfamiliarity with the application but I am very capable through using a variety of different makes of GPS
chartplotters so am certainly not a novice
with electronic charting.
Here are some questions/issues that I have at this stage.
1. I have imported the complete chart set for 34XG but displaying these charts
leaves a lot to be desired. For instance if I choose Fiji
Islands a message comes up on my screen
"Loading 34XG Japan
and Pacific Islands" Then when the chart loads I see a map of the US & South America
along with Africa
. Why doesn't it open at the Fiji
Same thing happens when selecting Hawaiian Islands. Some others DO display the area requested like Japan & Norfolk Island for instance but others don't.
2. Why cannot I display all of the Pacific Ocean
area seeing that this is where my charts are for. When the large scale world map as described above is displayed I can scroll to the left to see the eastern side of the Pacific then if I scroll right across to the right I see the western side of the Pacific but I cannot display the whole area covered. Why not, after all I can see all of the Indian & Atlantic Oceans on the same page.
3. How do you display Long & Lat gridlines on the maps or at least the scales on the edges of the maps?
4. Is there a comprehensive user manual as the "Guide" leaves a lot to be desied?
5. There are a lot of other things I could ask but if there is a proper comprehensive user manual then this may address a lot of them.