Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2014, 11:46   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: UK
Boat: Seadog 30
Posts: 164
IPad Software?

Hi guys n gals

I am wondering if anyone out there would give me a brief laymans explanation of the pros and cons of the various software packages available for thr iPad.
I'm thinking about things like Navionics SEAiq iSailor etc.
__________________

__________________
Captain Ludd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2014, 17:54   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NC
Boat: 1985 Catalina 30 Std Rig
Posts: 50
Re: IPad software ?

I use Navionics on an iPad mini retina and an iPad 2 with a Badelf Pro Bluetooth GPS.

Works pretty well as long as the weather cooperates. No bimini on the boat yet and in the sun my iPad mini retina in a black case overheated last weekend. I was using it at the helm and it shutdown.
__________________

__________________
Downtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2014, 18:38   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 10
Re: IPad software ?

First of all, I would never use my iPad (or even my latop) as my primary navigation tool. You will always want to have at least a Garmin handheld or an actually chartplotter unit; laptop and ipads are just not designed for salt-water rich enviroment, for getting bumped and tossed around.

iSailor is really quite good for planning your trip, but if I recall it doesn't include your GPS location, so you use it for planning, figuring out stops, distances, fuel consumption. Plus the maps are cheap.

MAXSEA, which makes a great software for laptops, just came out with an iPad app. I haven't tried it, but knowing the maxSea software, it's going to be good. Their software is easy to use, with a good interface. It's a lighter version of Adrena, which racers use.

MaxSea | Marine Navigation Software

Navionics is better than iSailor, more of a "real" navigation software.
__________________
ByronShirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2014, 18:56   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: San Francisco
Boat: N/M 45
Posts: 236
Re: IPad software ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ludd View Post
Hi guys n gals

I am wondering if anyone out there would give me a brief laymans explanation of the pros and cons of the various software packages available for thr iPad.
I'm thinking about things like Navionics SEAiq iSailor etc.
Can you give us an indication of what you are expecting to do with your iPad? e.g., it's your entire Navigation system, you want to use it for web browsing, it's a backup system if your primary navigation dies, or something entirely different?

- rob/beetle
__________________
beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2014, 01:46   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: UK
Boat: Seadog 30
Posts: 164
Re: IPad software ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtime View Post
I use Navionics on an iPad mini retina and an iPad 2 with a Badelf Pro Bluetooth GPS.

Works pretty well as long as the weather cooperates. No bimini on the boat yet and in the sun my iPad mini retina in a black case overheated last weekend. I was using it at the helm and it shutdown.
Thanks

Do you use the Badelf because you don't have or don't like the iPad gps ?
__________________
Captain Ludd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2014, 01:48   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: UK
Boat: Seadog 30
Posts: 164
Re: IPad software ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle View Post
Can you give us an indication of what you are expecting to do with your iPad? e.g., it's your entire Navigation system, you want to use it for web browsing, it's a backup system if your primary navigation dies, or something entirely different?

- rob/beetle
It would be for a backup and perhaps a more convenient way to develop a passage plan.
__________________
Captain Ludd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2014, 03:53   #7
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 102
Re: IPad software ?

A comprehensive list of navigation apps is here:
i-Marine Apps
__________________
Rick R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2014, 04:49   #8
Senior Cruiser
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Adriatic Sea
Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter
Posts: 8,515
Re: IPad software ?

We use iNavX on both of our iPads. IPad 1 and IPad air. The Ipad needs to be a model with a built in gps antenna in order to function without the internet. The newer ipads call it cellular service, but that doesn't mean you need to have cell service for the navigation software to work. Their terminology is confusing. Both of ours work far out at sea, to check your model for gps, simply turn off the wifi and cell service and see if it still works using your app.

Maxsea and Nobeltec also have apps which are supposed to be good, but I only have those on our pc. We also chart our course using paper charts along with any of the six gps units onboard. Both android phones have an app installed to make then into a handheld gps independent of the internet or cell service. Samsung Galaxy 4 models.
__________________
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2014, 06:33   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NC
Boat: 1985 Catalina 30 Std Rig
Posts: 50
Re: IPad software ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ludd View Post
Thanks



Do you use the Badelf because you don't have or don't like the iPad gps ?

I use the badelf because I already have the non-cellular iPads. Work pays for them so I'm not one to complain. Much cheaper than 3G iPads and does tracking as well.

My co-owner also has the same iPads so it works out well. I'm also playing with opencpn on a raspberry pi hooked up to my 12v tv as a toy. I'm a geek at heart.
__________________
Downtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2014, 06:53   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: UK
Boat: Seadog 30
Posts: 164
Re: IPad software ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
A comprehensive list of navigation apps is here:
i-Marine Apps
What a great link, thanks
__________________
Captain Ludd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2014, 06:55   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: UK
Boat: Seadog 30
Posts: 164
Re: IPad software ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
We use iNavX on both of our iPads. IPad 1 and IPad air. The Ipad needs to be a model with a built in gps antenna in order to function without the internet. The newer ipads call it cellular service, but that doesn't mean you need to have cell service for the navigation software to work. Their terminology is confusing. Both of ours work far out at sea, to check your model for gps, simply turn off the wifi and cell service and see if it still works using your app.

Maxsea and Nobeltec also have apps which are supposed to be good, but I only have those on our pc. We also chart our course using paper charts along with any of the six gps units onboard. Both android phones have an app installed to make then into a handheld gps independent of the internet or cell service. Samsung Galaxy 4 models.
Thanks
Any particular reason you chose iNavX ?
__________________
Captain Ludd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2014, 06:56   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: UK
Boat: Seadog 30
Posts: 164
Re: IPad software ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtime View Post
I use the badelf because I already have the non-cellular iPads. Work pays for them so I'm not one to complain. Much cheaper than 3G iPads and does tracking as well.

My co-owner also has the same iPads so it works out well. I'm also playing with opencpn on a raspberry pi hooked up to my 12v tv as a toy. I'm a geek at heart.
I see, a geek eh
__________________
Captain Ludd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2014, 07:14   #13
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 102
Re: IPad software ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ludd View Post
Thanks

Do you use the Badelf because you don't have or don't like the iPad gps ?
It is easy to determine if a iPad has a built in GPS. There is a black band across the top. Badelf performs exactly the same as the built in GPS, and costs the same too. Badelf is a great device if you already have a non GPS iPad. But if you plan to buy an iPad, get one with the built in GPS.
__________________
Rick R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2014, 07:34   #14
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: UK
Boat: Seadog 30
Posts: 164
Re: IPad software ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
It is easy to determine if a iPad has a built in GPS. There is a black band across the top. Badelf performs exactly the same as the built in GPS, and costs the same too. Badelf is a great device if you already have a non GPS iPad. But if you plan to buy an iPad, get one with the built in GPS.
Yep I did that already.
Just trying to figure out what app to get.
It's getting clearer…….slowly
__________________
Captain Ludd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2014, 08:00   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Marathon, FL
Boat: CSY 37 Plan B
Posts: 125
Re: IPad software ?

An Ipad in a Lifeproof case will hold up to the environment just as well or better than any Garmin, Raymarine etc. If you think a Garmin handheld is any more accurate or reliable, you are fooling yourself. Ipads are a very legitimate navigation tool, however relying on them alone is just as dumb as relying on just your charplotter alone. The GPS chip in Ipads is just as accurate or more so than the one in your chartplotter. I've had a chartplotter lose signal, get confused etc, while my Ipad has always been spot on. As far as software goes, it's like an anchor discussion, or religion..

I have on my Ipad Inavx, Navionics, isailor and my favorite Garmin. Inavx is a non intuitive pain in the butt, Navionics is historically inaccurate in the areas I'm sailing (Keys & Bahamas), Isailor is just there and Garmin is used every single trip.. I use my Ipad mini with the garmin app as my main plotter, backup being a 740s that normally runs my radar and sonar. I've also got paper, 2 handhelds, an additional Ipad, Iphone and a 3010c as backup..

The garmin app is using the same exact G2 bluecharts (explorer charts) as the plotters, plus has active captain built in and downloaded with the map so you don't need internet. It gives all the information from coordinates, reviews, contact information etc all permanently stored on your ipad. Not to mention I can plan a trip in my berth and hit send and it's on my chartplotter..

This isn't rocket science folks, they are maps and gps, it's not new and it doesn't require thousands of dollars to put the little sailboat icon in the correct position..
__________________

__________________
Our Blog
www.youngfamilyadventure.blogspot.com
Thin Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
Ipad, software, ipad

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best PC / IPAD nav software for Caribbean ikold Marine Electronics 2 05-12-2012 17:33
Full TimeZero Nav Software on iPad ! s/v Jedi Navigation 2 03-08-2011 09:02



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 00:15.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.