Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2018, 12:25   #1
cruiser

IPad Pro 12.9 For Navigation Reviews

I’m thinking up upgrading one of our iPad airs to an Ipad Pro 2nd generation 12.9 cellular with internal gps antenna 256gb or 512gb tablet for navigation and remote monitor. This is not a discussion intended to debate the merits of using a tablet over a chartplotter, since using only an iPad over the past 8 years has convinced me they can be used very successfully as a stand alone device to travel the world. The Ipad pro will be installed into a Lifeproof nuud waterproof case.

Looking for reviews of the product to see if there has been any issues using it with iNavX or Time Zero apps which I currently use. Are the apps and charts transferrable today like they have been in the past? Switching over to Navionics is also a possibility due to some minor issues over the past year with INavX. Another app to use will be Predictwind with an Iridium Go device.

Primarily looking to find out if there are any issues with the operating system.
So the chartplotter zealots don’t get too worked up or concerned, we also use the following:

1. 3 Raymarine Hybrid Touch chartplotters with Navionics Platinum+ charts
2. 3 IPad air tabets with inavx and Time Zero in Lifeproof cases
3. Handheld Garmin GPS
4. 4 iPhones with iNavx
5. 2 PC computers running Nobeltec
6. 1 MacBook Pro for Predictwind/Iridium Go downloads.
7. A complete set of paper charts and cruising guidebooks
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 22:54   #2

Re: IPad Pro 12.9 For Navigation Reviews

I’ve been using the first version of the iPad Pro (9.7”) and keep the OS up to date. I regularly use iNavX and SeaIQ(USA) to explore the Great Lakes charts, and PredictWind and SailFlow to monitor conditions in various areas. I also tested SeaPilot, but do not use it much. I have had zero issues with these apps, and find the somewhat beefier Pro models to be well suited to graphics-intensive applications in general.

This information is provided with the caveat that I haven’t used these apps for an extended time on a boat with external data sources. My intention is to do that, though, so I’ve been spending a lot of time in the navigation apps and haven’t had any odd crashes or glitches.

I use a LifeProof Nuud, but have had one problem: The little rubber bit in the charging door has gone missing, rendering the case not fully waterproof. A spot of cyanoacrylate to keep it in place might be advisable.

I intend to use mine at the helm of the 35’ cutter my wife and I are purchasing. To that end, I’m looking for some ideas on providing power while underway and maintaining the waterproof system. If you’ve got anything you use and like to charge in weather, I’d love to hear it.

Jonathan
jwoytek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 22:57   #3

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

I can’t recommend an iPad Pro 12” enough for chartplotter use. But I would mention that new ones are almost certain to be announced on Tuesday. They are likely to be better but more expensive, although you should find discounts on the older ones and a good number of second-hand 1st generation models on the second hand market.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 22:59   #4

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

I have a semi-weather proof case but am usually under a bimini except in really serious conditions. I also have a canvas cover for the instrument panel when not under way. The iPad charges from a high-current USB port mounted under the binnacle.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2018, 03:40   #5
cruiser

We use the iPads primarily as mobile repeater displays to be used at the galley table, master cabin for anchor alarm, and in the cockpit under the dodger/sprayhood.
Old 26-10-2018, 04:08   #6

Boat: LAGOON 400

we have ipad on board as repeater but never used. save your money and nerves and buy android based tablet. Buy actually couple so have spares ready. I lost 2 tablets on recent sail expedition, 1 fall in water, the other battery failed.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2018, 04:37   #7
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
we have ipad on board as repeater but never used. save your money and nerves and buy android based tablet. Buy actually couple so have spares ready. I lost 2 tablets on recent sail expedition, 1 fall in water, the other battery failed.
I’ll stick with our reliable iPads. 9 years and no failures so far.
Old 26-10-2018, 04:39   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I’m using an iPad 6+ for primary nav with an old iPad as back up. INavEx raster charts from Labrador to Windwards.

The boat has a RM C-80 chart plotter. It’s OK point to point keeping me on track but the detailed raster charts of harbors are just so much better. Still the C-80 display is necessary as a radar display. I have carried a spare C-80 display.

Last year the C80 display died, I replaced it with the spare, that lasted about 3 weeks. Took them back to states from Grenada for repair. One was repairable one not. Cost with shipping etc was about $300. Then bringing back to Grenada and paying for reimport and brokers fees and just plain hassle. While in states I bought 2 spare C-80 displays, $365 plus import fees and brokerage and overweight baggage fees added another $150.

So maintaining the C-80 this year cost me about $800. Don’t think I’ll do that again. I’ll look for a radar that can display in an iGizmo and ditch the RM plotter altogether.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2018, 06:40   #9

Boat: Nordhavn 47

The new timezero app is called iBoat and they allow you to use the charts purchased for the old MaxSea app. I just changed and it was fine . Navionics also has no problem. The only one you will need to keep the old iPad for is Bluechart which you can continue to use but cannot get the charts to move to another device since they are discontinued.
Some of the charts that iNavX uses have a two download limit. Be sure to check on that if you have purchased charts. The other featured of iNavX transferred fine.
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2018, 08:36   #10
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I recently moved from iPad 4th Gen to iPad Pro 12.9” 2nd Gen (256gb Cell + WiFi).

I am using it with Aqua Map and SEAiq USA. Both very good.

I like the size over the smaller 9.7 size but do recognize it is harder to hold in one hand.

I use a stylus with it to keep fingerprints off the screen as much as possible.

I like it very much.

I have written about SEAiq in a separate thread.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2018, 08:49   #11

I have the Pro 12.9 and the 9.7. I tried the 12.9 on board but found it too big/heavy for the purpose. The 9.7 is just the perfect size for me, both in the cockpit and at the chart table. (It is hard to explain, but the 9.7 also feels "tougher"; I know it is probably just a feeling). Software works the same on both.

A question for the OP: I have not been successful running the TimeZero app on my iPad. What's your configuration? Do you just run the app or run it in conjunction with TimeZero on a Windows machine? If you run the app only, are you able to get all the cool routing/planning features working?

Thank you!
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2018, 09:18   #12

Boat: Lagoon 440

I use the iPad Pro with navionics application. Very satisfied indeed. I use a usb high output outlet and keep the screen brightness at the midway setting. Love it.
Skededel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2018, 09:19   #13

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Dang that's a huge investment in gadgets. Some cruisers annual budget right there.
iPads, I've seen one a few times, they seem really popular.
Old 26-10-2018, 09:37   #14
cruiser

Time Zero has been working fine over the past four years using just the app on both ipad airs. No issues.
Old 26-10-2018, 09:40   #15

I went with the iPad.

In fall of 2017 bought a cellular 12.9 256Gb iPad pro as a backup to an older PC based nav system to bring our new to us trawler 450 miles to her new home. Added a Logitec Slim-Combo detachable keyboard/case. Loaded Navionics (with Autorouting) and for Active Captain, added Garmin BlueChart Mobile (now discontinued but still working for me with no current AC updates). Between the Autorouting and AC access, I found this setup great for planning the trip several states away from the boat.

Initially didn't have the iPad plugged into a power source and running Navionics side by side with the PC-based nav, drew the iPad battery down in a few hours. But then, that'd be the case with any tablet. Plugged it in and used it for the entire multi-day trip.

Not cheap but I wanted something I could trust in case my main nav system took a nose dive. I have not been disappointed.
kapnkarl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ipad, navigation, reviews