Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2018, 10:20   #16

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor
Re: IPad Pro 12.9 For Navigation Reviews

We use the 12.9 pro in a Unicorn Beetle case. No issues with software but main issue is with keeping the system charged up while using GPS. We use the iPad both as a B&G Zeus 2 repeater with the Navico Link app and with iNavx, Weather4D, PredictWind or Charts&Tides.
All work fine as far as the iPad goes, app and GUI issues aside. We are looking at Aqua Maps for the access to Active Captain which is no longer available on Charts&Tides. Suggestions without buying anything Garmin would be appreciated. (They have enough of my money already)
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2018, 10:25   #17

Boat: Colegate 26

Is there any chance it would be TOO bit? Like, cumbersome?
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2018, 13:11   #18

Boat: Tartan 37C

I too believe that the New I Pad Pro3rd edition will be announced and marketed very soon. The 2 has been on the market for 3 years and it is due for an upgrade. I have been using I navix very successfully for a number of years, including a trip from NY to Key Largo and will continue to do so. I intend on purchasing the 3rd generation I pad as soon as it is released.
Captain Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2018, 15:09   #19
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapnkarl View Post
I went with the iPad.

In fall of 2017 bought a cellular 12.9 256Gb iPad pro as a backup to an older PC based nav system to bring our new to us trawler 450 miles to her new home. Added a Logitec Slim-Combo detachable keyboard/case. Loaded Navionics (with Autorouting) and for Active Captain, added Garmin BlueChart Mobile (now discontinued but still working for me with no current AC updates). Between the Autorouting and AC access, I found this setup great for planning the trip several states away from the boat.

Initially didn't have the iPad plugged into a power source and running Navionics side by side with the PC-based nav, drew the iPad battery down in a few hours. But then, that'd be the case with any tablet. Plugged it in and used it for the entire multi-day trip.

Not cheap but I wanted something I could trust in case my main nav system took a nose dive. I have not been disappointed.
Even with a chartplotter at each helm and one at the chart table/nav station, we find ourselves using the ipads most of the time to plan and check position.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2018, 22:16   #20

Boat: Lagoon 450S
Send a message via Skype™ to davedindubai

I can’t recommend the 12” iPad Pro enough.
We use it exactly as you intend, for weather from predict wind and emails on long crossings with the Go and every day for nav alongside our Zeus 2. To be able to do all this sat in the cockpit or even at the saloon table is great.

I do all my passage planning on the iPad and then use the Zeus 2 for AIS and radar info.

I use navionics, predict wind, Windy, Windfinder, GoFree and even Remote to control my iTunes for parties. I also have all my manuals on there which is great for easy access.

The iPad gets used a lot every day and is well worth the £900.
Old 27-10-2018, 00:04   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Miura 31

@Kenomac

Once you have purchased your new iPad, can you please give a short write-up here on your thoughts regarding size and efficiency of the device with iNavX. I am also looking to replace my ageing iPad and upgrade my iNavX and charts in the new year for extended cruising, but the new 12"+ size just appears too big. Also note power consumption please.
John.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 17:20   #22

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaddeo View Post
I too believe that the New I Pad Pro3rd edition will be announced and marketed very soon.
Can't emphasis enough this isn't a "belief". It's happening at 10am EST on 30th October. They are likely to be available to order immediately and in stores within a week. Do not go out and buy a 2nd generation iPad Pro in the next two and a half days.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 17:26   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
@Kenomac

Once you have purchased your new iPad, can you please give a short write-up here on your thoughts regarding size and efficiency of the device with iNavX. I am also looking to replace my ageing iPad and upgrade my iNavX and charts in the new year for extended cruising, but the new 12"+ size just appears too big. Also note power consumption please.
John.
It's big, but then sometimes big is good. Depends on whether you have the space. I built a space for the ipad to sit, and so it doesn't get in the way. You will note from the photo that there is a very simple rotating toggle at the top to secure the ipad (and so I can just lift it out when needed somewhere else, or to stop it being taken). This photo also shows the sun firing directly at the display, and yet it is pretty much as visible as the secondary Raymarine A-series chartplotter below even though that's at a better angle to avoid the sun. Newer ipads have brighter screens than my three-year-old day 1 model.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4530.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	353.6 KB
ID:	179715
Old 27-10-2018, 17:31   #24

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
Can't emphasis enough this isn't a "belief". It's happening at 10am EST on 30th October. They are likely to be available to order immediately and in stores within a week. Do not go out and buy a 2nd generation iPad Pro in the next two and a half days.
ok, i have made room in my budget for 3 of these! if you so excited about it, should be good.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 20:23   #25

Wow, three is some budget, even for boat dollars :-)
Old 27-10-2018, 21:10   #26
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
I generally wait 2-3 months after a new model has been introduced, then purchase a lightly used previous model still under the applecare warranty at 50% off the original price. My target price will be under $500 and allow $75 for the lifeproof waterproof case.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2018, 12:55   #27

Boat: Nauticat 32

We replaced our outdated plotter with a 12.9" iPad. We are very happy with that solution. The best part is the ability to see a larger area of the map. That is useful especially in route planning. When sailing around some small corners, smaller iPads are quite as good.

Our navigation software in the 12.9" iPad is mainly local, so not of interest to you. But we have not had any compatibility issues in any programs between the big and the normal size iPads.

The 12.9" iPad is inside the pilothouse in a fixed location (but it can be moved elsewhere too), where the plotter used to be. In the cockpit the regular size iPads are a bit more handy since they can be easily moved around with one hand.

We have used leather cases to protect the regular size iPads. Leather cases are good because they are not slippery (in hands or elsewhere). If it rains, the iPads move under the sprayhood.

We don't have any fixed location for the iPads in the cockpit since the have to be moved based on where the sun shines. They are not easy to read in direct sunlight, and they may get too hot too.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2018, 20:25   #28

Boat: Alberg 35

I use the iPad 9.7 with iNavx and iSailor. Works great.
s/v Pendragon Alberg 35 #175
Pendragon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 04:12   #29

Boat: Kaufman 47

Ken,

Check out this case company, http://www.itabnav.com/239-aishell-pro-129.html

They have waterproof charge cords that screw into their cases. This solves the charging when it's nasty delima.
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 05:28   #30

Boat: Bavaria, Cruiser 33'
Send a message via Skype™ to dgmultimedia

I have the traditional Raymarine Chartplotter on my Bavaria33 but occasionally we do a Flotilla in Greek Islands and I take my iPad Pro in its fully waterproof case for Cockpit Nav as most of the flotilla boats have minimal Chartplotter if any and its usually at the Nav station...
ONE BIG draw back - in Heavy rain/Rough passages multiple water droplets on the screen COMPLETELY screws the iPads ability to accept touch commands in fact the droplets appear to the iPad as multiple screen touches and usually changes the screen zoom or moves the chart away from where you are and prevents you from correcting the display until you remove all the droplets and dry the surface - critical when trying to navigate a difficult harbour entrance etc... - even wiping with a cloth does not get ride of all the droplets and it still won't feel your touch commands - so an iPad is only good when used under cover from spray/rain..... Tried this several times with Navionics, Imray Navigator and iNavX - they are all affected because their only input technology is the screen surface...
dgmultimedia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ipad, navigation, reviews