Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2014, 10:15   #1

Ipad Navionics HD compatibility with chart plotters

Hi everyone

I have a iPad Air with GPS and also the navionics HD app with downloaded charts for my boat.

All seems to work reasonably well although as it not hard wired in when it is in the cockpit for too long the battery does go. Then charts all seem to work well, only once testing it goi down the Portuguese coast I noticed it seemed to get confused.. However I maybe hadn't downloaded all of the charts required.. So I am quite I'm pressed with it as a package especially as I have a large screen on the iPad. There are a couple of things I would like to change and for added security I am looking at a new chart plotter.

I have come across ray-marine chart plotters (the wifi version) that works with its own iPhone app..

This all seems great as I could have it based at my chart table and move it upstairs as and when I need it (in bright sunlight or when iPad battery is low)

What I really want to know though is there a chart plotter that works with the "Navionics HD" charts... The ones I have already paid good money for.. And to be honest got used too...

Or do I need to buy a ray-marine and start all over again buying "navionics plus" or "navionics gold" I currently get free updates with my iPads "Navionics HD" so was hoping to not have to buy a whole new set of charts again... (I already tried a few before I tried navionics HD).

The main reason I want a stand alone chart plotter is so I can incorporate AIS systems and Radar and get it on my iPad at the helm. Yes I know I can add a 12v sub at the helm to keep the battery life going but... I don't believe I can get split screen on the iPad so when sailing at night I can see my AIS and my chart plotter / route.

Can anyone please advise a good way to go?? Or what do you use with your iPad's or IPhone's on your boats. Ideally I would like to not spend more than £500 on the chart plotter and then another £150 on AIS transponder. And I want it all to work with my lovely big iPad screen.

The other thing I love about the iPad is I can sit in the pub, at home or at work and plan my route and I would ideally like to then import this new route into a onboard chart plotter (doing this wirelessly would be just great).

Other thoughts that have crossed my mind...

1, buying an apple laptop that will work wirelessly between my iPad and it on the boat iPad up deck in its protective case and apple laptop downstairs (problem lies - no split screen option with AIS)..

2, buying a second iPad for below deck as a back up... Again bad in sunlight and no split screen. I can even get AIS direct to the laptop from a wifi AIS receiver but shifting between screens constantly is a pain.

Any suggestions or views would be great. What are you guys using or what are you looking at updating your systems too??

And yes I know I can sit and plan it out on paper charts for hours and have none of it but technology really does make life simpler..

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
zooplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:42   #2

Re: Ipad Navionics HD compatibility with chart plotters

I realize that this doesn't answer your question, but two thoughts on reading your post:

There are 12V iPad chargers. No need to run on the battery.

You might find this site useful:

i-Marine Apps

Rick R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 18:22   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 44DS

The Raymarine iPad wifi app works a little differently than what you are asking for, I think. It uses the iPad to mirror the screen of the plotter. That means that you will need to purchase a Navionics SD card with charts in order for it to work with their cartography. Navionics makes you buy it again, even if you have bought for the iPad. The plotter may come with some standard charts already loaded though, depending on which model you buy. Perhaps you will find them sufficient?

Garrettw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 14:50   #4

Thanks, what money grabbing.. B***ers, its a shame it's not all interlinkable as would make it alot more user friendly..

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 13-12-2014, 05:26   #5

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooplax View Post
Thanks, what money grabbing.. B***ers, its a shame it's not all interlinkable as would make it alot more user friendly..

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Not sure I agree... My new Raymarine gear has WW charts for under GBP 1000. Not bad for world wide coverage and all my MFD data is Wifi visible on iPad if I choose. This includes my forward and sidescan sonar, SHD radar and AIS.

Fair winds
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2014, 11:26   #6

I meant its a shame that the charts are not all inter-linkable as I have already purchased Navionics HD for the iPad the area I needed was only 24.99GBP but if I use a raymarine I need to buy charts again Navionics Gold I believe or use raymarine charts

However yes I have been looking at the raymarine e7 chart plotters they seem to have everything I need but do have some mixed reports online.. Which one are you using and how are you finding it?

Old 13-12-2014, 11:42   #7

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Hi Zooplax,

My new electronics include a e98 at the nav station and an e7 at the helm... for me, the identical presentation and the wifi to iPad is a big plus. Including anchor alarm etc.

Then again, I'm setting off on a RTW and I wish to have redundancy. FWIW, I charge my iPad with a Yoobao 15600 charger unit. Each full charge of Yoobao charges the iPad fully 3 times. Good kit.

Fair winds.
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ipad, navionics