Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 20:28   #16
cruiser

I agree - my iPad is showing much better accuracy and is able to maintain the same level of accuracy when below deck. This is truly important for real boating use. Especially for anchor alarms.

I did multiple tests side-by-side with an iPhone and iPad 3G and results were very consistent. The iPhone's GPS is always less accurate and generally falls apart to an unusable level when below deck. The iPad was acceptable at all times.
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 19:01   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSNavX View Post
The Navionics app will run on iPad 3G, but it will only utilize a quarter of the iPad screen as will other iPhone apps. It is preferable to have an iPad app or an iPhone/iPad app. In the iTunes store you will see "+ this app is designed for both iPhone and iPad" right under the price when an app is designed for both devices.

Within the next couple weeks, our app iNavX will have that designation. It works with both the NOAA and Navionics marine charts.
1. When is that ipad update coming for better resolution?
2. Since we cannot often test iphone/ipad apps like your regular software...are the raster charts included or do they need to be downloaded and imported?
3. Is there anyway to import waypoints/routes from other formats (say gpx) into the ipad/iphone app?

Debating if this is a better solution then Navionics for iphone.

thanks.
shawn
carboncow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 19:19   #18
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

iNavX 3.0.0 has been submitted to Apple so I expect it available at anytime. It is a free update to all iNavX users.

Charts are downloaded directly into iNavX. You can specify individual or complete regions. The chart coverage is extensive and up to date ..

Click Here

iNavX can import GPX and KML format waypoints and routes and can export the track history.
GPSNavX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 19:35   #19

As always, great info. Sounds like I'll getting iNavX soon as my ipad 3g arrives!
carboncow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2010, 16:04   #20

Just a heads up for those of you that have an iPad, Google Earth is now available for it, it's a free app in the iPad app store.

I have the 3G iPad with the GPS, it puts a little dot where your at.
Chipg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2010, 16:39   #21

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Do the iPads have the same moisture tabs as the iphone?
On the iPhone I am told if these turn from white to red all the warranty's void.
So actually risky using an iPhone on the water, or close by water, or in the bathroom, or in the rain.
Is the same true of the iPad?
Cos I like them.
JOHN
Old 21-06-2010, 17:03   #22

I'm not sure about the water tab but I can tell you my iPad has taken a beating through rain and water out tornado chasing this year. It got wet a lot, it works fine after drying it off with a towel.

Someone in this thread posted a link to a waterproof case for $19.95 at amazon.com, get that and you'll never have to worry about it.

Sent from my iPad
Old 21-06-2010, 21:49   #23

I mentioned google earth is out now for the iPad but forgot to mention the new skype 2.0 let's you use AT&T's cell towers now to talk, no wifi needed to make calls on your iPad, this might not be of use outside the USA but if your in the USA it's a great deal, you can call land lines, cell phones etc.

Is there a thread for iPads and useful boat apps here? I saw one for iPhones but not iPads.
Old 29-06-2010, 12:35   #24

Boat: Nonsuch 324, 30', Dulcinea
The contact email is not working on Navimatics web site. I wonder if they have plans for the Caribbean? What do you think is the best app for the Caribbean? I'm going to get an ipad when I pick up my boat on east coast in September.
Irie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:44   #25

Boat: Gulfstar 50
Re: iPad Navionics

Put Navionics HD on my Ipad 2 yesterday and wow! It is full screen, touch screen with every thing else you can think of. On of the best 34.99 i have spent. Only thing I have to figure out is how to mount it at the helm. Any ideas?
SV.Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:06   #26

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvondo
Hello , does anyone know if the ipad with the navionics app will work 100 plus miles offshore? Thanks chris
I think you need to be within range of the towers at least I do on the I phone

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:53   #27
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by capttman View Post
I think you need to be within range of the towers at least I do on the I phone
Ummm...no, you don't need tower proximity as long as you've already downloaded the chart areas you'll be using. The Navionics apps no longer have the chart data built in. You now use Menu/Download Map to select an area for download. It'll also bring in chart data tile-at-a-time as you view it but that's not a reliable way to get all data for an area.

GPS needs no tower assistance either. It'll use it if available but it doesn't need it.

My iPad doesn't even have it's cellular plan turned on - I get no cellular data on it. It has worked perfectly 20 nm offshore providing full charting capabilities. This is true of the iPhone too (although I have a cellular plan for it). I'm not sure where the idea came from that all of the navigation apps stop working when there's no internet connection. It's totally wrong as long as you don't need to download chart data.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:59   #28

Boat: 1974 islander 44
I have the avionics app on my iPad as well as charts and tides. Both are awesome. Charts and tides gives you access to the active captain database. In my opinion , no one going to someplace unfamiliar , or trying to plan a route somewhere they have never been , should be without the active captain data base. It's like having input from dozens of people , that have been there. I had some questions about charts and tides , and Jeff from active captain spent the time to answer these , and to inquire with the company who offers the app , to resolve my mis understandings. And this isn't even his app. Thanks again Jeff.
I like the navnionics app. My only grumble would be , that there is no simple way to export a route simply. I use the share route option , this way you can email yourself a .kmz file (google earth file), and then use gpsbabel , to convert it to something you can load in your chart plotter. Kind of a roundabout pain in the rear , but it works.
The gps in the iPad works great , and both of these apps allow you to download and install the maps locally on your iPad. If charts and tides would add the ability to do route planning , I wouldn't need anything else.

I am patiently waiting (or impatiently waiting) to see what new product active captain is going to release directly , as their own solution for an iPad app.
Svsilvergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:09   #29

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveCaptain
Ummm...no, you don't need tower proximity as long as you've already downloaded the chart areas you'll be using. The Navionics apps no longer have the chart data built in. You now use Menu/Download Map to select an area for download. It'll also bring in chart data tile-at-a-time as you view it but that's not a reliable way to get all data for an area.

GPS needs no tower assistance either. It'll use it if available but it doesn't need it.

My iPad doesn't even have it's cellular plan turned on - I get no cellular data on it. It has worked perfectly 20 nm offshore providing full charting capabilities. This is true of the iPhone too (although I have a cellular plan for it). I'm not sure where the idea came from that all of the navigation apps stop working when there's no internet connection. It's totally wrong as long as you don't need to download chart data.
Hmmmmm my app probably needs an update then u have the original and kept it updated I thought

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:11   #30
cruiser

Hey - I like the Navionics app too. I really like the tide display for it. I'm not happy with their Bahamas data.

The thing about all these apps is that the cost allows you to have a few different ones. It's nice to have both raster and vector too - there are often subtle differences.

I have a feeling that route transfer and sharing will be a lot different in the upcoming months. You should be able to easily and quickly move a route between any device/software/app you own. It shouldn't cost anything to do it. Could you imagine a digital camera today that needed special software to view the pictures? And yet, we put up with that for the routes we create that provide safety to our passages. It's crazy...

Tags
Ipad, navionics