Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2018, 05:45   #1
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
IPad GPS

Anyone using a GPS device for their non cellular IPad? What are you using and does it work?

Thanks
Old 15-02-2018, 06:21   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: IPad GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Anyone using a GPS device for their non cellular IPad? What are you using and does it work?

Thanks
See these threads

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...elf&gsc.page=1

See this current thread (highly recommended, lots of good tips)
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-a-197434.html
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 07:25   #3
S/V rubber ducky

I read that thread and only 1 people really reported using a plugin GPS device on their iPad.

There must be more users since so many say they don't buy chartplotters anymore
Old 15-02-2018, 07:30   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
IPad GPS

Quote:

Thanks

From using it for aviation, the built in Apple GPS is not as accurate as this. I know people will argue that, but it’s been tested many times.
http://gps.dualav.com/explore-by-product/xgps150a/
I leave mine plugged in and charging so power isn’t an issue.
Many people use a bad elf that plugs into the IPad and uses the IPads battery, it’s fine but because you have this thing plugged into the IPad, you need to be a little careful not to break it off and it will of course go through the IPad battery faster.
Apple, being Apple is different in the Bluetooth connection, you have the rest of the world that will connect to to Bluetooth GPS and you have Apple. Be sure if you buy a Bluetooth GPS that it will connect to an Apple product, very few will. The dual I linked to has a switch, one way for the rest of the world, the other for Apple.

It works better than the built in GPS, is about 2” square and .5” thick approx. it has a built in battery that is rechargeable, but I don’t know how long it lasts on internal battery
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 07:35   #5

Boat: Ericson 32-2

I have a Dual Bluetooth GPS receiver that I use in my planes every now and then. It’s kind of a pain cause it is one more thing that you have to make sure it is charged and then it takes a minute to sync up. I just Velcro it on the dash but my problem is remembering to turn the thing off when I’m done with it. So the next time I go to use it I have to fumble around with charging cords and what not.
AKPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 07:45   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I read that thread and only 1 people really reported using a plugin GPS device on their iPad.

There must be more users since so many say they don't buy chartplotters anymore
You must not have looked into the threads I found and shared in the first link I posted up above. There were many mentions of the Bad Elf and other GPS units.

The Garmin GLO is a Bluetooth device that can be used with a WIFI only iPad or other devices that can use Bluetooth.

"Connects wirelessly to iPad iPhone and other Bluetooth enabled smartphones, tablets and laptops
This allows GLO to lock on to satellites approximately 20% faster and remain connected even at high speed
GLO can receive position information from both the GPS and GLONASS satellite constellations, allowing it to connect to up to 24 more satellites than devices that rely on GPS alone
It offers up to 12 hours of battery life and a position update rate of up to 10 times per second (update rate may be limited by the host device)
GLO, vehicle power cable, USB cable, Li‐ion battery pack"

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Portab.../dp/B00AYAZENY
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 10:56   #7
S/V rubber ducky

Not interested in a thread argument!
Old 01-03-2018, 05:26   #8
S/V rubber ducky

Well I got a Bad Elf. It works well so far just sitting here in the harbor. It should be fine for the use of backup electronic charts (I also have paper) and for having Active Captain for a cost of $14.99 ($4.99 because I had a credit) for the Aqua map app and the $99 cost of the bad Elf and have the data for thee whole East Coast USA loaded on my iPad
Old 01-03-2018, 05:39   #9

Boat: Currently in between

SB I'll give you a call and try to run by this evening. We can discuss iPad options; I am ignorant of the best way to go.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:44   #10

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

A64 has made a good point. Now that you have the bad elf, all the iPad has to do is display. My experiences with iPad onboard gps in aircraft are negative. Be careful if using the iPad without the external receiver. Signal loss is a frequent occurrence.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:18   #11

We use the iPads with the built in GPS as Electronic Flight Bags for our flight crews. They have the Jeppesen charts loaded and use it on the ground only for position on the airport surface (taxiways, ramp areas, etc). It seems to work great for that.

I have one that is wifi only and have tried a couple of older bluetooth GPS devices and as stated before, they don't work. I really don't understand the infatuation with Apple products. Every Android or windows product will connect to it but not Apple. I have Samsung, GoPro, bluetooth speakers, phones, and other devices. They can all use the same charger...but not my ipad. I have to carry a charger just for that. They make a great product but sometimes being different just for the sake of being different is not innovative. It's just annoying.
Hoosiersailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:34   #12
S/V rubber ducky

I use an iPad because that’s I got and it was free!
Old 01-03-2018, 06:41   #13

Quote:
I use an iPad because that’s I got and it was free!
That's great! Me too! (work gave it to me to evaluate). I do like it but the little idiosyncrasies are mildly annoying.
Hoosiersailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:07   #14

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Free is good.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 17:09   #15
S/V rubber ducky

I’ve come all the way from the Boston area to Marathon Fl with some of my electronic charts being over 10 yeats old and in only 2 places did they appear to wrong. In both the places (and many more really) all you needed to do was follow the buoys and monitor your depth. In other words what you should always do even if it is “old school”.

So I’m not all that worried about my second backup (behind my outdated e-charts and current paper charts) of Aqua Map and Bad Elf iPad somehow failing me

Tags
gps, Ipad