Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2011, 13:01   #16

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Ipad apps for boaters

Intellicast HD - Weather
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/intellicast-hd/id408451987?mt=8

The Weather Channel for iPad
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-w...364252504?mt=8

Talk Free by Magic Jack
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/free-calls-with-magicjack/id463926997?mt=8

DragQueen Anchor Alarm
http://itunes.apple.com/app/dragqueen-anchor-alarm/id489294173?ign-mpt=uo%3D6&mt=8

Universal converter HD: Converts all units of measurement
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/universal-converter-hd-converts/id446062154?mt=8

Calculator Pro for iPad Free
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/calcu...401862018?mt=8

Alarm Clock Free
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/alarm-clock-free/id332064280?mt=8

Bloomberg for iPad -Stocks
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bloomberg-for-ipad/id364304764?mt=8

Voice Memos for iPad
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/voice...364295267?mt=8

iNavX by GPSNavX $49.99
Pro - Raster charts with "Head up Display", Import & export .gpx marks, route & tracks.
Route and Track navigation with all the vitals displayed.
Con’s – Tides and currents is a $9.99 add on. Chart scaling and zoom are strange
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/inavx-marine-navigation/id286616280?mt=8

Navimatics - Charts & Tides $24.99 With ActiveCaptain
Pro - Nice Vector charts with integrated ActiveCaptain for finding great places to stay or get marine services. Has tide & currents. "Heads up Display".
Con’s - Only lets you put in way points. No import or export .gpx routes files. Will have to use the up and coming ActiveCaptain routes for navigation in the future integration.
No follow route or vitals like eta. Not a route navigation program
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/charts-tides-east-coast/id333226849?mt=8

Memory-Map-Pocket Nav $19.99
Pro-Nice Raster charts, Great dashboard display with all the boat vitals. Import & export .gpx marks, route & tracks. Loads all files and charts by WiFi.
Save and e-mail routes. Follow route and track navigation with all the vitals displayed. Easy new route creation and editing. Very nice route navigation program
Con’s – No tide & currents. No "Head up Display".
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pocketnav/id373365691?mt=8

NavionicsMarine & Lakes USA HD $29.99
Pro – Nice Vector charts with Google or Bing satellite land overlay. The best tide & currents of them all hands down. Easy new route & track creation and editing
Con’s - No import or export .gpx routes files. No follow route or vitals like eta. No "Head up Display". Not a route navigation program
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/marine-lakes-usa-hd/id409794234?mt=8
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2011, 13:52   #17

Boat: Fisher, 31, 9,65M + Hallberg 33 Mistral
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead

It's not a cursor. At least, it does not have the functionality of a cursor in a regular nav system. There's no "Find Ship" -- the "cursor" automatically snaps back to the GPS location. It doesn't show the distance and bearing to your location (you have to set up a ruler). You can't do anything with the pointer without switching off the GPS.

It's as good program in many ways but this is poor.
When on chart tap settingsymbol in top right corner, change "Pos. Icon Loc" to None and it will not jump back to your GPS position, if you set to Center it will "Find Ship" provided your iPad is on your ship.
Doubble Tap on position you want distance to and drag the symbol that pops up to where you want to measure distance to, or the other way around.
I do everything without turning off the GPS, havn't had it turned off since I bought the iPad.
Selene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2011, 16:19   #18
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Ipad apps for boaters

Measuring bearing/distance on the iNavX chart is a simple double-tap operation. The measurement can optionally track with the vessel position..

Measuring Bearing and Distance on the chart

iNavX has no ability to turn the iPad 3G or iPhone 4 GPS off. In the IOS "Settings" app one can turn off "Location Services"..

Understanding Location Services

Typically not recommended to turn "Location Services" off. This should not be confused with iNavX Chart setting "Pos. Icon Loc." which determines if and how iNavX automatically scrolls the chart to the vessel position. Regardless of this setting, tapping the "Chart" tab button twice will scroll the chart to the vessel position.
Old 23-12-2011, 20:30   #19

Boat: Catalina 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveCaptain View Post
Stay tuned. There are fantastic new things coming - and no, I'm not developing a chartplotter. The new ones coming out though want to connect to ActiveCaptain so I'm getting early looks at quite a bunch of them. One in particular that should be out at the boat show">Miami Boat Show is going to change the whole game. Navionics has had it all too easy for too long. Prepare for a new beginning in marine electronics for the iPad in the first quarter of 2012...
Ok, great!, but how much is all this going to cost in 3G GB terms?
I just got my iPad2 wifi+3g, and used up 95mb of a 250mb data plan in 5hrs loading apps and trying them out. And most of that time I was on wifi.

Is anyone using their iPad (on 3G) regularly for navigation that can speak to what their average GB usage is a month. Just wondering if the added cost of data usage offsets the initial low cost of apps, compared to didicated CPs and instrumentation.

Some cool apps I found:

Wind Meter - anomometer that really works

MID - Heading, COG,ACOG,SOG,ASOG,MSOG,TRIP, TIME, Healing angle, and Position

PocketGrib - GRIB viewer
GorillaToast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2011, 22:00   #20
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2011, 22:56   #21

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaToast

Ok, great!, but how much is all this going to cost in 3G GB terms?
I just got my iPad2 wifi+3g, and used up 95mb of a 250mb data plan in 5hrs loading apps and trying them out. And most of that time I was on wifi.
If I were you I'd put the device in airplane mode and turn on wifi when in a known hotspot. This will keep your device from hopping onto 3G if it loses the wifi signal. If it loses wifi this way you lose connectivity completely and can investigate rather than reverting quietly to your data plan. SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2011, 23:01   #22
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

No need to put the iPad into "Airplane Mode" as that disables GPS, WiFi and Cell and Bluetooth connections. Instead go to "Settings" and select "Cellular Data" and turn "OFF" to insure only a WiFi connection is used. Using the iPad 3G GPS does not require or use any cellular data time.
Old 23-12-2011, 23:47   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selene View Post
When on chart tap settingsymbol in top right corner, change "Pos. Icon Loc" to None and it will not jump back to your GPS position, if you set to Center it will "Find Ship" provided your iPad is on your ship.
Doubble Tap on position you want distance to and drag the symbol that pops up to where you want to measure distance to, or the other way around.
I do everything without turning off the GPS, havn't had it turned off since I bought the iPad.
Oh! I had no inkling of that functionality. I didn't see anything about it in the documentation. I will have to try all of that and may have to take back my words! Unfortunately the IPad is 12 time zones away from me at the moment . . .

I mean the Find Ship function. But as to distance and bearing by setting up a ruler -- I do know about that. What we need is the ability to put the cursor on a spot and instantly get distance and bearing to the ship -- like on all regular fixed nav systems.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2011, 23:51   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSNavX View Post
Measuring bearing/distance on the iNavX chart is a simple double-tap operation. The measurement can optionally track with the vessel position..

Measuring Bearing and Distance on the chart
Setting up a ruler is not at all a simple operation for something one does frequently during a sail. "The measurement can optionally track with the vessel position." -- that's what we want -- how do you do it? I can't find anything in the documentation about it.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2011, 05:34   #25

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

GorillaToast,

I only download apps when on wifi. some apps are pretty large, so they will suck up your 250 meg per month 3G allotment.

I have 250 meg per month 3G and use it just when we are on the hook for e-mail and weather updates.

If you only have 250 meg of 3G per month and do not want to increase your data plan, then you may want to invest in and Island Time wifi system.

Marine WiFi Systems

The Island Time wifi system will let you pick up open wifi connections from miles away and also let you transmit it around your boat to all your wifi devices
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2011, 07:20   #26
cruiser

Re: Ipad Apps for Boaters

For what it's worth, I've had at least one iPad since the first day Apple released them (I was one of those dumb people waiting in line at an Apple store to pick one up - actually came in from offshore that day to make it to the Charleston store by the afternoon). I bought a 3G version because it's the only one you should ever buy - because it's the only one with a real GPS built-in. To this day, I have never enabled the cellular plan on any of the devices. I only use it WiFi and even WiFi to a cellular device like a MiFi. There is next to no reason to have another cellular plan for a pad unless it's one of your main ways of connecting while remote. Getting a shareable "aircard" like a MiFi or using another iPhone with tethering is a much less expensive way to use it.
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2011, 09:47   #27

Quote:
I bought a 3G version because it's the only one you should ever buy - because it's the only one with a real GPS built-in. To this day, I have never enabled the cellular plan on any of the devices. I only use it WiFi and even WiFi to a cellular device like a MiFi. There is next to no reason to have another cellular plan for a pad unless it's one of your main ways of connecting while remote. Getting a shareable "aircard" like a MiFi or using another iPhone with tethering is a much less expensive way to use it.
Yeah,I got the data plan before I found out (here) that the GPS worked independent of being connected. There is no wifi near our sailing club marina, so I thought I needed GPS to use basic navigation apps.

I plan to look into iphone tehering. Is that possible with an AT&T iphone? IMy job pays for an unlimited plan for my phone, so...
Old 24-12-2011, 10:30   #28
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaToast View Post
I plan to look into iphone tehering. Is that possible with an AT&T iphone? IMy job pays for an unlimited plan for my phone, so...
That makes it a no-brainer. The iPhone has tethering built in but AT&T wants $20/month to enable it. Still, that's quite a deal and less expensive than anything else I know if you have an unlimited data plan too.
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2011, 10:38   #29

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
That makes it a no-brainer. The iPhone has tethering built in but AT&T wants $20/month to enable it. Still, that's quite a deal and less expensive than anything else I know if you have an unlimited data plan too.
The AT&T $45 data plan (4GB) includes tethering. Simply turn on 'Personal Hotspot' and 3 devices can connect to the iPhone. (If you need more, have your wifi router be one of the 3 and share to more devices)

Short of streaming movies, 4GB is a lot of data.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2011, 11:20   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun

The AT&T $45 data plan (4GB) includes tethering. Simply turn on 'Personal Hotspot' and 3 devices can connect to the iPhone. (If you need more, have your wifi router be one of the 3 and share to more devices)

Short of streaming movies, 4GB is a lot of data.
Is that "personal hotspot" on my iPhone or iPad ?

Tags
Ipad