Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2016, 06:36   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Newquay, Cornwall, UK
Boat: Macwester 27
Posts: 15
iPad app

Hi all :-)

I'm just about to do the Atlantic crossing west to east.
I'm thinking of buying an iPad for a back up nav instrument. I've had a look at a few nav apps in App Store but none of them seem to cover the Atlantic:-/
Someone recommended the inavx app but it doesn't say where it covers.

Does anyone use a good reliable one that they could recommend or any other info on the inavx?

Many thanks in advance:-)
__________________

__________________
live the dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2016, 06:54   #2
Registered User
 
Steady Hand's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Crewing All of 2017 Available Globally
Boat: OPB = Crewing in 2017
Posts: 4,789
Re: iPad app

I have a related question about apps for the iPad and add it here:

I have an iPad 4th Generation (Retina Display) that has WIFI, but does NOT have cell (4g).


Can THIS MODEL or type of iPad (WIFI only) be used for navigation apps?

Are there add ons that make it useful, aside from the navigation app?

Or is it NOT possible to use such an iPad for navigation, because it lacks the 4G cell feature?
__________________

__________________
Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Med, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2017? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2016, 07:15   #3
Long Range Cruiser
 
MarkJ's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Posts: 12,828
Images: 25
Re: iPad app

Quote:
Originally Posted by live the dream View Post
Hi all :-)

I'm just about to do the Atlantic crossing west to east.
I'm thinking of buying an iPad for a back up nav instrument. I've had a look at a few nav apps in App Store but none of them seem to cover the Atlantic:-/
Someone recommended the inavx app but it doesn't say where it covers.

Does anyone use a good reliable one that they could recommend or any other info on the inavx?

Many thanks in advance:-)
Nav aps on iPad really are a steaming load of bull dropping comparead to the laptop with mouse running OpenCpn.

On my iPad i have a FREE version of Navionics HD which you can download free. Its got the basic world chart and then you can download the detailed charts.
The usa coatal ones are a free download.

Just the world chart has enough detail to sail the Atlantic (theres nothing to hit out there) and basic outline of the Azores and all other islands. Thats fine with, say, a screenshot of Google Earth of the intended port.
For the European coast, med you would buy the better charts.

But for the actual passage you only need the base world map imho.
__________________
Notes on a Circumnavigation.
OurLifeAtSea.com

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2016, 07:20   #4
Registered User
 
mottseng's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ontario Canada
Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30
Posts: 366
Re: iPad app

On my iPad i have a FREE version of Navionics HD which you can download free. Its got the basic world chart and then you can download the detailed charts.
The usa coatal ones are a free download.

Navionics is full of detail and I find the charts very accurate. The problem is you only have the free version. Buy it and try it.
__________________
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2016, 07:47   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Baltimore, MD / Albany, NY
Boat: Alberg 35
Posts: 183
Re: iPad app

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
I have a related question about apps for the iPad and add it here:

I have an iPad 4th Generation (Retina Display) that has WIFI, but does NOT have cell (4g).


Can THIS MODEL or type of iPad (WIFI only) be used for navigation apps?

Are there add ons that make it useful, aside from the navigation app?

Or is it NOT possible to use such an iPad for navigation, because it lacks the 4G cell feature?
It's quite possible to get a GPS unit that connects via bluetooth or other means to your iPad and supplies positional data. Garmin makes one, and BadElf is another that some people use. Good luck!
__________________
Jim Eaton
s/v Pendragon Alberg 35 #175
Pendragon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2016, 07:53   #6
Registered User
 
mottseng's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ontario Canada
Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30
Posts: 366
Re: iPad app

I am using the BadElf GPS and found no problems with it.
__________________
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2016, 08:00   #7
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 16,518
Re: iPad app

Ref Apple compatible GPS,
Only a very few are, be sure you get one that is, mine has a physical switch that you switch from everyone except apple, and apple.
Plug in ones should be avoided in my opinion, they are fragile at the plug as it sticks out of course and is easily broken, and they use the Ipads battery to power them, of course reducing battery life.
I think, but am not sure that I can connect to my Gofree Wifi and get position data through it for at least my Navionics app.
I have both Garmin and Navionics on my Ipad as a backup, but as has been said Open CPN on a laptop is much better, I have that loaded on an old Panasonic Toughbook and it runs well.
Neither is sunlight readable though, so that limits their use somewhat in the cockpit.
__________________
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2016, 08:15   #8
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 3,950
Re: iPad app

I use an ipad 3rd generation and inavx as a secondary. Inavx is the program. You then have to get the charts through their xtravers service. I purchased navionics charts for Canada and they work great.

Ipad with inavx works as well as my garmins (handheld and chart table mointed) for showing position. I find it clunky for doing things like routes, but I rarely use my plotters that way.

And yes, not all iThings have GPSs. Used to be (I haven't checked lately) that you had to purchase the cell version to get the GPS chipsets. Wifi-only won't have it.


Why go fast, when you can go slow
__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG: www.helplink.com/CLAFC
Mike OReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2016, 11:09   #9
Registered User
 
Steady Hand's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Crewing All of 2017 Available Globally
Boat: OPB = Crewing in 2017
Posts: 4,789
Re: iPad app

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I use an ipad 3rd generation and inavx as a secondary. Inavx is the program. You then have to get the charts through their xtravers service. I purchased navionics charts for Canada and they work great.

Ipad with inavx works as well as my garmins (handheld and chart table mointed) for showing position. I find it clunky for doing things like routes, but I rarely use my plotters that way.

And yes, not all iThings have GPSs. Used to be (I haven't checked lately) that you had to purchase the cell version to get the GPS chipsets. Wifi-only won't have it.


Why go fast, when you can go slow
That WAS one of my concerns. I have fuzzy recollection of reading that somewhere a couple of years ago. But that is why I would be interested in a external (Bluetooth?) GPS device of some kind to use with my iPad.
__________________
Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Med, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2017? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2016, 11:18   #10
Registered User
 
Steady Hand's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Crewing All of 2017 Available Globally
Boat: OPB = Crewing in 2017
Posts: 4,789
Re: iPad app

This device has very good customer reviews, and an attractive price point too. Works with Apple or other mobile devices (Android or other) using Bluetooth. Specs say 8 hours battery life. Price is $89.

Dual XGPS150A Bluetooth GPS Receiver - MyPilotStore.com

In comparison, this device, BadElf Pro has twice the battery life (16 hours using Bluetooth) but costs $149

http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotS...FVKDfgodeskOaw
__________________
Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Med, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2017? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2016, 11:22   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 101
Re: iPad app

[QUOTE=Steady Hand;2171197]I have a related question about apps for the iPad and add it here:

I have an iPad 4th Generation (Retina Display) that has WIFI, but does NOT have cell (4g).


Can THIS MODEL or type of iPad (WIFI only) be used for navigation apps?

All iPads can be used for navigation .
But you need to buy a very nifty item called a bad elf .
This connects to your laptop and iPad via blue tooth and will tell them exactly where you are . As for app .
I like Isailor with the only downfall the charts are not cheap .
__________________
woodyapex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2016, 11:25   #12
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 16,518
Re: iPad app

I have used the dual for years, originally to fly with, just plug it into a cigarette lighter plug, turn it on and forget about it, it will receive great when down below, it does not have to be outside if your a fiberglass boat, and has a internal battery that will last for some number of hours. It is a USB plug so wherever you have a USB receptacle you can charge it.
If you flip the switch it will work with your computer and android devices too, but it will not connect to an apple and another at the same time, it is either apple or everybody else, not both.
Not that it is needed for marine, but it is considerably more accurate than the internal Ipad GPS, a lot of pilots with Ipads that have the cell phone and therefore the GPS, use this external GPS as it's more accurate. (it matters more in an airplane)
__________________
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2016, 11:29   #13
Registered User
 
Steady Hand's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Crewing All of 2017 Available Globally
Boat: OPB = Crewing in 2017
Posts: 4,789
Re: iPad app

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I have used the dual for years, originally to fly with, just plug it into a cigarette lighter plug, turn it on and forget about it, it will receive great when down below, it does not have to be outside if your a fiberglass boat, and has a internal battery that will last for some number of hours. It is a USB plug so wherever you have a USB receptacle you can charge it.
If you flip the switch it will work with your computer and android devices too, but it will not connect to an apple and another at the same time, it is either apple or everybody else, not both.
Not that it is needed for marine, but it is considerably more accurate than the internal Ipad GPS, a lot of pilots with Ipads that have the cell phone and therefore the GPS, use this external GPS as it's more accurate. (it matters more in an airplane)
Thanks for answering some more of my questions in your answer above. If it works while charging or plugged into a 12 volt source (e.g. At a nav station in the boats cabin) that will be good.
__________________
Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Med, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2017? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2016, 11:56   #14
Registered User
 
Zephyrcat229's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PNW, headed for S.FLA
Posts: 47
Re: iPad app

Arggghhh!!!!
Reading this post, I thought iPads have GPS, right?? I mean I've had several Asus tablets, all wifi only. (& everything I reference here is meant as wifi only) all the asus's I have had great GPS I bought the iPad precisely because some sail boating equipment only talks with Apple, literally the only reason I bought the thing....damn heh well let this be a reminder, always check a de specs!!!
__________________

__________________
Zephyrcat229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
Ipad

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad App for CF dandrews Forum Tech Support & Site Help 17 08-10-2011 03:52
Red Balls / iPad App Safari38LH Forum Tech Support & Site Help 4 02-02-2011 16:36
New CF App for the iPad Wand Forum Tech Support & Site Help 5 24-01-2011 22:40



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 21:42.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.