Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2012, 20:01   #76

Boat: Seafarer 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_W View Post

That is so 20th Century ... one thing Apple Inc sorted out for user benefit is ability to restore purchases: tunes, apps, in apps, you name it. I find it odd that map providers still cling to the old business model ... an odd group.

I wanted to go with iNavX which I liked after trying it on Mac, but I found the map purchasing schema confusing and suspicious ... was not really sure how this works till I read the above posts. I went with Navionics instead ... everything is right there inside the app, including ability to restore purchases/upgrades if something happens.

Navionics is probably not less expensive in a short run but I got what I wanted without scratching my head and hurting my pocketbook long term.
The chart issue pretty much kills off what would otherwise be a decent, albeit overpriced nav app. It's a shame really. I still feel cheated by my iNavX purchase. If a user is exclusively needing only US maps, then it is less of an issue (though only raster charts are supported from the free NOAA catalog). iNavX has a few cool features, like the anchor alarm that most of the other nav apps do not have, but again the chart issue makes the app not usable. What good is a map reading app without reliable maps? Anyone who has had a smartphone or tablet long enough knows that a restore or upgrade is inevitable. You need to be able to continue to use your purchases when those things happen. The business model would be fine if they charged substantially less and allowed you to download whatever you needed (ala the music rental/subscription services), but they don't. They represent the rental as a sale, charge as much or more than other vendors for the same content, and don't allow for worst case scenarios (like your iPad getting dropped overboard and needing to set up a new one). It's crazy. The big deal killer for me for USA only sailors would be the lack of NOAA vector charts (the free ENC catalog), and as already mentioned, for international sailors, it has more than its share of issues.
engele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2012, 20:17   #77
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: iPad and Navionics Question

iNavX is a navigation application that uses marine charts..

Differences Between Maps & Charts

Mapping applications are available from Apple, Google, etc. Yet do not provide much in the way of marine navigation.

Some of the features found in iNavX, but not in other marine apps include:

Access the largest library of up to date official charts
Comprehensive route and waypoint management and navigation including auto-next, bearing, distance, time, arrival
Import/Export of waypoints, routes and tracks in both KML and GPX format
GRIB Weather overlay (wind, pressure, waves, precipitation rate and temperature)
Theyr Weather forecast
Anchor alarm
True and Magnetic bearings
Great circle computation for all bearings and distance
NMEA-0183 and N2K display and waypoint import/export via TCP/IP
AIS target display including real-world scaling and SART and virtual NavAid support
Digital compass
Instrument display
Chart and route printing
Chart emailing and tweeting
Course Up chart orientation
Full screen display
Runs on both iPad and iPhone (Only need to buy once)

iNavX is frequently updated and there will never be a charge for an iNavX update. Another point, is support: you can email GPSNavX seven days a week and get a response typically within an hour.
Old 22-12-2012, 20:54   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSNavX View Post
iNavX is a navigation application that uses marine charts.
Let's not argue about semantics. As we all well know, Navionics, Garmin, and others sell nautical charts for marine use and various types of maps for land use ... sorry for the generalization in my last post. What I said was meant for nautical charts for iNavX and Navionics app.

Many modern marine systems/apps can use/show simultaneously both, nautical charts and terrain/satellite maps ... best of both worlds, and very useful.

As I said before I liked iNavX, it's a good and full of features marine nav app, but cumbersome rules and process of getting the charts killed it for me.
Richard_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2012, 22:51   #79

Boat: Bowman 40
Send a message via Skype™ to steve.garlick
I've got to say that MacENC has the best support I've ever encountered. I get my " dumb questions" answered within minutes.

I don't have a problem with the one year subscription, at least I get map updates for a year.

Perhaps they could offer continuing updates of a purchased charts at a reduced price.

Steve
steve.garlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 00:43   #80

Boat: J/120
We use both Navionics and iNavX as they both have their pluses. One big plus of Navionics is you can buy the cheap iPhone app and install on it on your iPad too. Works just fine, for a single small fee. That said, there are two things iNavx does that Navionics does not, that are essential for me. INavX displays AIS and Gribs. If I wasn't interested in those two features I would just use Navionics.
sv Shearwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 05:05   #81

Thanks all for the useful info. I need to sail our Maxim 38' cat from Cape Town to Knysna, around 300NM along the unpredictable southern coast of South Africa. Decided to try out the Navionics iPad chart. At about $70 it's not cheap, but it seems to be very good. It gives some comfort as a backup for the Raymarine kit on the boat.
royco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 07:57   #82
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Perhaps they could offer continuing updates of a purchased charts at a reduced price.
I believe that is exactly what X-Traverse does. For charts previously purchased, the updated charts can be purchased at a reduced price.
Old 23-12-2012, 17:36   #83
cruiser

I just bought iNavX, and I'm quite happy with the performance.

What's going to happen in a year from now? Will it stop working?
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 19:27   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
I just bought iNavX, and I'm quite happy with the performance.

What's going to happen in a year from now? Will it stop working?
No, but you won't be able to re-download the charts that you purchase.

Weather track is great for grib file viewing on IOS devices. AIS viewing requires an additional wifi bridge on top of your receiver.
Old 23-12-2012, 20:11   #85
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If your iPad is within cell (or WiFi) range, you can get AIS reception in many areas using the free SiiTech AIS service..

SiiTech AIS NMEA Data Server
Old 23-12-2012, 20:31   #86

Quote:
If your iPad is within cell (or WiFi) range, you can get AIS reception in many areas using the free SiiTech AIS service..

This is would be fine if a user is traveling only in areas where they have cellular data (limited to inshore use), and also where the area a user regularly sails is covered by the admittedly cool SiTex service.

It wouldn't really be as robust as a true AIS receiver, but better than nothing for the areas where it would work. I had no idea iNavX would display AIS from a network service. I'll check the coverage area and see if it shows the same thing as our main AIS here in Jamaica (is SiTex covers US here).
Old 23-12-2012, 20:56   #87

Quote:

This is cool, but the coverage area is severely limited (basically not existent in the Caribbean outside of the VI). I was wanting to test it, despite it's limitations of being within cell coverage with a data plan (most of the time when you need AIS, you have neither of those things while cruising), but the nearest coverage area is basically Miami.
Old 24-12-2012, 00:18   #88

Boat: J/120
Quote:
Originally Posted by engele View Post

No, but you won't be able to re-download the charts that you purchase.

Weather track is great for grib file viewing on IOS devices. AIS viewing requires an additional wifi bridge on top of your receiver.
The only issue is that you cannot transfer the charts to another device after a year. Of course you can just buy the charts again IF needed and if cost is such a concern then just keep using the original device with charts on it.

Also, you can get an iAIS receiver with built in wifi from Digital Yacht. One device. Takes about 15 minutes to wire up to antenna and power and get an iThing to connect to it. The bonus of the IAIS is that it can also receive NMEA output from your instruments and transmit that over wifi. So slick.
sv Shearwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 02:34   #89
cruiser

What is "AIS"?
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 03:05   #90

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv Shearwater View Post
Also, you can get an iAIS receiver with built in wifi from Digital Yacht. One device. Takes about 15 minutes to wire up to antenna and power and get an iThing to connect to it. The bonus of the IAIS is that it can also receive NMEA output from your instruments and transmit that over wifi. So slick.
Looks great, Shearwater, but for the price it would be nice to have a 2-way AIS.

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ipad, navionics, ipad