Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2014, 15:53   #151

Boat: Hanse 385
Re: iPad and Navionics Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Only of course if the underlying copyright from the hydrographic office allows that , some do , some do not.

Dave
I'm sure they try and hide behind that, but how can it be a copyright issue if I'm buying the exact same chart over and over?

It's all just BS excuses to get us to pay for the same product again and again.
Times have changed. We live in a world where most boats have Plotters, laptops, iPad's, etc. This is amazing tech, the chart companies need to wake up and restructure their sales models.
simonpickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 15:54   #152
cruiser

Don't let facts, laws or right and wrong get in the way of a good rant.

I've thought for years that, like the software industry, every time someone designs an improvement to my pickup, they should run out here and install it. Free.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 16:00   #153

Who's saying anything about 'Free'?

While I'm sure you'd be happy to pay for improvements to your 'pickup' how would you like to pay for it in full every 12 months just to keep it?
Old 14-01-2014, 16:07   #154
cruiser

Gee, Simon, you're right. I guess you better not buy it.
Old 14-01-2014, 16:11   #155

I'm leaning that way.

I'd love to do the right thing and buy charts, pay for updates. But openCPN / cm charts sure are looking temping the more I dig into the current way charts are sold and see how batsh*t crazy it is.
Old 14-01-2014, 16:23   #156
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpickard View Post
I'm sure they try and hide behind that, but how can it be a copyright issue if I'm buying the exact same chart over and over?

It's all just BS excuses to get us to pay for the same product again and again.
Times have changed. We live in a world where most boats have Plotters, laptops, iPad's, etc. This is amazing tech, the chart companies need to wake up and restructure their sales models.
because many hydrographic offices license charts per copy. i.e. a simultaneous installation on another device is a "copy" and they want their royalties

This isn't supposition I know this to be a fact.

Quote:
This is amazing tech, the chart companies need to wake up and restructure their sales models.
Again its not the "chart companies " they don't produce the source data. Its the licensing systems of the underlying hydrographic offices. They view each "copy" as a new license.

dave
Old 14-01-2014, 16:27   #157

Fair enough, the hydrographic offices need a good shake up then.
Old 14-01-2014, 17:10   #158
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpickard View Post
Fair enough, the hydrographic offices need a good shake up then.

They've been around since Nelson was a boy, and they have no competition nor are they ever likely to have. Unlikely they'll be "shook up" anytime soon!

dave
Old 14-01-2014, 17:15   #159

Well, not until people start cracking their charts and posting them on torrent sites, which will happen at some point.

Maybe when that happens and they start losing money they'll wake up, like the music industry did back in the days of DRM, and offer fair pricing for modern day devices.

Fingers crossed.
Old 15-01-2014, 00:52   #160
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Only of course if the underlying copyright from the hydrographic office allows that , some do , some do not.

Dave
We're talking vector charts where one nav app provider makes you buy them again if you buy a new ipad, and the other nav app provided does not charge you again.
LBW399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 00:59   #161
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
Don't let facts, laws or right and wrong get in the way of a good rant.

I've thought for years that, like the software industry, every time someone designs an improvement to my pickup, they should run out here and install it. Free.
What are you on about?

It is pretty simple mate:
Inavx - change your Ipad you got to buy the charts all over again.
Transas Isailor - change your Ipad you do not have to buy your charts again.

Pretty simple, and not a rant. Just the facts.
Old 15-01-2014, 02:55   #162
cruiser

Well, except for the part where you're wrong.

But do carry on.
Old 15-01-2014, 03:11   #163

Navionics fixed the map download so after being unhappy and concerned I can now rejoin the many delighted happy navionics user group. If navionics responded sooner I would have been happier then again maybe I must be more patient. Thank you navionics.
fengibprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 07:17   #164

Boat: Lagoon 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBoyzT View Post
Couple Question, looking at getting an iPad and the navionics app. Does anyone know if you can get the 3G iPad (because that is the only one with GPS) and still use the GPS without paying for a 3G subscription?

Also does anyone know if they make a solar power charger for the iPad?

Thanks!

-Aaron

I haven't read all the thread answers and likely you have your answer. But will share my experience....We use an iPad 3 ( with 3G and wifi) and it's packed with Navionics. I use a few Garmin charts where i know they have more reliable data via their arrangement with hydrographical offices of differing countries. I have used this arrangement to offshore/coastal navigate our yacht for well over a year now with excellent results. For an 12V electrical backup, I purchased the Power Gorilla solar panel that charges a dead iPad in about 5 hrs. We will start our circumnavigation in a few months and this is my backup solution to the chartplotter and my Mac Pro. I also have paper charts but only for the large bodies of water.

Also to answer your question about whether you need to have or pay for the 3G subscription to operate Navionics and the iPad, the answer is No. The system works independent of 3G and direct from the built in GPS.

I'm also of the opinion today that an iPad 3 with ENCs and a backup solar charger is completely sufficient to navigate the world. I'm opening up myself for criticism here but from what I'm seeing today and the systems and setups available it pointing this way.

Emerald Sea
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 11:25   #165
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
Well, except for the part where you're wrong.

But do carry on.
Ok I will carry on mate, because I am not wrong. If you change your Ipad, your license with Inavx's chart agent (X-Traverse) will run out on the 365 day anniversary, and you will then have to "re-buy" the charts. So, if you plan to keep your exact same Ipad model for the next 50 years, then hey I guess you are going to be ok. Most of us will want to get a new Ipad a few times in that time frame.

Here is a post that I made on this thread that I started a while ago http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ni-115217.html

"A friend confirmed with X-traverse.

The license to keep using the charts forever is ONLY for your two
CURRENT machines.
IF you change BOTH Ipads then you WILL have to rebuy when the year runs out, IF you DON'T change ipads, then you wont lose the charts even if you stop paying for the chart updates.

But if you have changed ipads within that license year, then once the year is up, they system will not allow you to use those charts you thought you had forever until you rebuy them.

For instance, lets say you have an Ipad 3 and an Ipad mini at the moment, and you have the X-traverse charts. Your annual subscription is for chart updates not to actually keep the charts, as the charts are forever if you keep those two same ipad units and never upgrade them.

But - lets say you want to get a new Ipad Air,and a new Ipad Mini Air as
replacements for your current two machines.
You will eventually then have to rebuy all the charts because once both activations of a
purchase have expired after 365 days that you initally purchased for the PREVIOUS ipads, then yes -- you would at that point need to buy a new set of charts for the new iPads. You can transfer the activation to the new Ipads, but once its licensed year runs out the system will then realise you have a new ipad and the charts you thought were forever will have to be repurchased for the new ipad".

So, rather than think license, think activations. The activations that allow you to use the charts forever are only actually forever if you never change the physical actual Ipad that you activated the license on.

I think this is not very good of X-traverse. They must know that over time all users will eventually upgrade to new ipad or
iphone units

Tags
Ipad, navionics, ipad