Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2014, 06:54   #1

Boat: Wylo 35,
iPad and e-navigation

Happy New Year for all our community !!!

I am relatively new to the board, just had few questions before, related how to set up bits and pieces on the boat which I finishing building and fitting. I hope to lunch her this spring after 8 years in the shed (crossed fingers, and lots of work ).
Since I started building I never been in the sea and was surprised how things are changed. On my previous boat for navigation, I used paper chart, compass, and handheld GPS (not plotter) and I was happy with this! Now, seems, everything is changed. iPads, iPhones, Androids, mobile Windows, computers – they are nearly replaced chart plotters on sailing boats with small budget. And it sounds wise: why to buy only chart plotter for 1k if for the same money you will get much more (even for less money).
Recently I had as birthday present iPad mini with GPS, LTE enabled, Wi-Fi, retina display, 128Gb storage. First thing, I checked how GPS is working. It was fine (accuracy 5m) without Wi-Fi and no sim-card for using cellular data. Second thing, I installed BlueChart Mobile (on this forum cruisers rated it as the best app for iPad) without charts yet. I like it so far. Third thing, charging issues: in the shed I’m unable to charge it from the mains. Don’t know why. Apple standards? Or something else? I am not bothered with it. When I made electrical box, to distribution panel I added USB Charger Socket (https://www.bluesea.com/products/101...ocket/featured (this is not advertisement)) just for case to charge mobile phone for guests. Anyway, this socket charges my iPad without problems from the boat battery. And it is possible to install second one in the cockpit locker near the engine controls. Therefore, I am happy with little iPad and it suits to be part of navigation system.

Now is question to you, gurus, as I am familiar with electronic only a bit and it is not the best my friend.
What you think about this e-navigation system? Will it work or is it my imagination and I do not understand something?
Vesper XB-8000 AIS transponder with GPS. Over Wi-Fi it will connect to iPad and I’ll be able switch off iPad’s GPS to save battery. Install to iPad Vesper app and BlueChart Mobile. So with this set up iPad become main navigation unit. Would be very nice to have depth sounder readings there as well. Something like “Fishing My-Cast” from Garmin. I didn’t find this option at BlueChart. Is it possible to find wifi enabled depthsouder? And which unit and app you will recommend? (Fishing My-Cast is android version). Also I have NetGear AirCard AC762S mobile router to get internet on board. May be I missed something, please correct me.
For peace of mind I will leave my old set-up as back-up (paper charts and hand held gps unit, and no compass because my boat made of steel)

Best regards
vtlli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 07:09   #2

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46
Re: iPad and e-navigation

"Is it possible to find wifi enabled depthsouder? "

Connect a NMEA2000 depth transducer to your xb-8000 and you will have depth over wifi.

DST800 is an example with depth speed and water temperature in one unit.

Cheers,
JM.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 17:25   #3

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence
iPad and e-navigation

Look into INavX and Navionics Apps. I have them plus the Garmin app and unless you have a Garmin on-board setup, it is not the best app for on board navigation for an IPad.

Your Vesper AIS data will connect and display onto INavX charts by wi-if directly from the Vesper Unit. ( I have a Digital Yacht IAIS that does the same thing.) You will then have made your iPad into a Chartplotter with AIS data without having to switch apps. Get the Navionics IG USA and Bahamas Charts and that might be all the charts you need, but river charts are available as are other NOAA charts. If you connect the depth and other NEMA instruments to a device that converts the NEMA data to wi-if, perhaps the Vesper, you can receive depth and other NEMA instruments on INavX also. If you get a weather account through INavX, then you can download grib and other weather files that will also download onto INavX.

INavX takes a little time to get used to, but it is a very economical and powerful app.

You should also get a LifeProof or other waterproof case if you are going to use it in the cockpit.

The Garmin app as a stand alone, is the least useable of the three. I use it for Active Captain data only as my onboard electronics are older Raymarine.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 19:20   #4
cruiser

It will work just fine if you replace the blu-charts with SeaIQ or InavX.

I ended up replacing my iPad with an iPhone 6 plus, but that took me several years.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 20:11   #5

Boat: Allied 39

INavX takes a little time to get used to, but it is a very economical and powerful app.

I second this statement we have been using the INavX app and charts for the past few years. Having the vesper feed the ipad AIS info is another bonus

Chuck

Old 29-12-2014, 02:44   #6

NahanniV – Thank you. Your point is very clear and sounds very nice.
From Vesper website : “The XB-8000 AIS Transponder The world's first Class B AIS with built-in Wi-Fi and NMEA 2000 gateway”. So, does “NMEA 2000 gateway” mean you can connect any other NMEA device to xb-8000 and it will transmit this external data over Wi-Fi? Forgive me my e- illiteracy.

About Navionics charts. I did read here they are not correct for some remote places. I am in Ireland now and planning to cruise (at least for first years) Baltics, Mediterraneans, Iceland and north of Norway up to Russian border. Are they reliable for those places? (Huge plans?! )
My opinion the system should be minimal and reliable. (Less devices means less troubles)

Jammer Six: why did you went from iPad to iPhone’s smaller screen? Is it more convenient?
Old 29-12-2014, 05:52   #7

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtlli View Post
NahanniV – Thank you. Your point is very clear and sounds very nice.
From Vesper website : “The XB-8000 AIS Transponder The world's first Class B AIS with built-in Wi-Fi and NMEA 2000 gateway”. So, does “NMEA 2000 gateway” mean you can connect any other NMEA device to xb-8000 and it will transmit this external data over Wi-Fi? Forgive me my e- illiteracy......
Yes I have one and use it with my Garmin NMEA2000 wind and Water system and INAVX.

Almost all the data is translated from NMEA2000 to NMEA0183 over WiFi; Barometric pressure and air temp are missing.

The xb-8000 also translates most NEMA0183 data from my Autopilot; Rudder angle is missing.

The Xb-8000 will not translate navigation data from INAVX wifi->NMEA2000, but they say they are working on it.

Also, the xb-8000 has no AIS alarms, so your iPAD must do that. Perhaps they will implement that in the future.

Cheers,
JM.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 17:04   #8

Boat: C&C 34

If you want a basic wifi fishfinder/depth you could try the sonar phone setup. Haven't tried it myself, but they are teaming up with Navionics and it is only $149 for the hardware. The Sonar Phone App is free, but a version of Navionics works with it too. Looks pretty cool!!!

Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 18:09   #9

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

Last summer when I sailed my boat from the Caribbean back to the U.S., I loaded Garmin's app and charts on my iPhone and iPad. (For a fraction of the price of electronic GPS charts) In many situations I found my iPad much better than the much smaller screen of my onboard GPS chart plotter. The larger screen was much better for route planning as well as negotiating narrow channels and other restricted areas such as Florida's inlets.

My only concern is that iPads and iPhones are not as marine environment friendly as dedicated marine GPS units. If I ever move onto a nice trawler with an inside steering station, I might consider using an iPad as my primary and iPhone as my backup. Not in an open cockpit on a sailboat however.

I had one iPhone die on me, after a cruise to the Bahamas, simply from being in a salt water environment for a few months, even though I never used it outside as a GPS.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 06:06   #10

Happy New Year!! I must have been a really good boy last year because Santa gave me a Samsung Galaxy S 16G (10.5") tablet for Christmas. Only problem is I am kind of intimidated (scared ****less) by the steep learning curve ahead of me. I know nothing of Apps and other such terms and don't even own a smart phone or know how to turn one on! Yup...a real knuckle draggin old dog unsure of all these new tricks. Like the original poster, I would like to set this unit up as an additional navigation tool. If someone could guide me thru the setup and recommend specific software modules and how to install them I would be most grateful. Please be patient and definitely "talk down" to me.
I also received a Standard Horizon GX2200 VHF/GPS/AIS radio (told you I was a really good boy) that I assume can be hooked up into the tablet somehow from the above posts although I am unclear as to why I would want to......is it for larger display of the tablet (good for my old eyes)
Anyway if anyone cares to give a hand.....I could really use a mentor.....
Cheers, David
PS. My current navigation setup is a Garmin 192C plotter, a Garmin 76CSX handheld, Datamarine Corinthian wind/speed/depth
tanton37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 14:11   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie91 View Post
If you want a basic wifi fishfinder/depth you could try the sonar phone setup. Haven't tried it myself, but they are teaming up with Navionics and it is only $149 for the hardware. The Sonar Phone App is free, but a version of Navionics works with it too. Looks pretty cool!!!

It looks quite interesting. Anyway it worth to investigate. And how is reliable this hardware in long term?

Old 01-01-2015, 14:22   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanton37 View Post
Happy New Year!! I must have been a really good boy last year because Santa gave me a Samsung Galaxy S 16G (10.5") tablet for Christmas. Only problem is I am kind of intimidated (scared ****less) by the steep learning curve ahead of me. I know nothing of Apps and other such terms and don't even own a smart phone or know how to turn one on!

There is nothing difficult in using such device. If your Galaxy is Wi-Fi and GPS enabled there not big difference from iPad in setting up. ( I getting apps from iTunes, you're from GooglePlay). Keep in mind this when you will do research.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:33   #13

Boat: Catalina 310

We've been using Navionics primarily with iNavix as a secondary on our iPad for about 3 years now. We love it and see no need to go with an expensive chart plotter unless you are someone that only navigates by GPS and doesn't use your head or eyes. The accuracy of the iPad GPS is within about 100 feet (someone said 5m earlier and I wouldn't argue with that either). Point is, don't look at a rock that is 10 feet away and think you are that accurate. We are planning to sail to the Bahamas and the Caribbean with this as our primary nav tool.

Through a connection my uncle has (he is very active in the local saltwater fishing scene) I reached out to Navionics about the Sonar Phone and Tbox. They sent me one to try on our sailboat. I will be installing it this winter and will post a review. My uncle has two he is trying: one in a 17' skiff for near shore fishing and another he rigged up in a canoe. So we should have some good first hand reviews this year. But the concept looks great. It will actually refine your Navionics charts to be more accurate. I believe there is an option for uploading the data to help refine all of the Navionics charts as well.

Someone mentioned being nervous about using the iPad in the cockpit. Check out the LifeProof cases. A little expensive but well worth it. I have had my iPad in the cockpit during storms with no issues. A friend regularly swims with his iPhone in one of these cases.

I am adding a ram mount to the navpod this winter to hold the iPad in the Lifeproof case at the helm. I will also add a 12 volt plug at the helm. Probably the Blue Sea USB plug because that has worked without issue for me at the nav station down below.

Hope this was helpful.

Good luck and fair winds,

Jesse

Tags
Ipad, navigation