Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2011, 10:35   #211

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by 57guy
The only thing that would make my marine Nav better is to have some Explorer digital charts,
GP
Amen Brother.

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 00:05   #212

Boat: 1988 46' Island Trader by Marine Trader
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveCaptain
I really do like the Navimatics app. I honestly use it myself while underway - not as a primary chartplotter, but something that tells me what's up ahead. When our entire Raymarine system went bonkers 15 miles offshore at 11 pm while about to negotiate an offshore channel (Frying Pan Shoals Slue), it was my iPad and phone that took over immediately until I fired up the laptop. The blog entry about that a couple of weeks ago is at:
http://takingpaws.blogspot.com/2011/...wn-at-sea.html

That said, I tested the second-to-last test version of a new iPhone/iPad app this morning that's coming out really soon. It uses raster charts and keeps all ActiveCaptain offline. It's from another developer will cost significantly less than the $25 you're willing to spend. There's one thing that needs to be fixed and it'll be submitted to Apple. It's quite nice. Perhaps you'll like a raster version better?

I am working on an ActiveCaptain app too - it's the same thing as the SmartTV one. It's sort of an underway version of the website. It's not a chartplotter. It's more of a companion to your chartplotter. It'll be free and the first version will be released this year. There will also be versions for Windows, Macintosh, Linux, and Android released at the same time. I especially think the SmartTV potential is pretty cool though.

Let's just say I'm haven't been getting into much trouble because I've been pretty busy with it all.
Awesome!!!! We love ActiveCaptain.

Coup d Amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 05:57   #213
cruiser

Re: iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveCaptain View Post
That said, I tested the second-to-last test version of a new iPhone/iPad app this morning that's coming out really soon. It uses raster charts and keeps all ActiveCaptain offline.
Apple approved it last week. It's called eSeaChart. It costs $7.99 for every NOAA raster chart and has full offline ActiveCaptain support.

In case anyone is wondering, we make no income from licensing our data to a third-party developer like this. There are no development fees and no user license costs. I'm mentioning price because it's their price - we get nothing from it (price is a commercial vendor rules sort of thing).
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 11:06   #214

Quote:
Apple approved it last week. It's called eSeaChart. It costs $7.99 for every NOAA raster chart and has full offline ActiveCaptain support.

In case anyone is wondering, we make no income from licensing our data to a third-party developer like this. There are no development fees and no user license costs. I'm mentioning price because it's their price - we get nothing from it (price is a commercial vendor rules sort of thing).
Wow, only 8 bucks for a nav APT, and the US charts are free. Remember when Nav software for a laptop cost as much as $1200, and the fee for charts was on top of that. Charts for all US east coast for my Raymarine chartplotter cost over $700. It's only a radar display now. Shows how much things changed in only a couple of years.

Looking forward to that Active Captain APT., but then for $8, I may buy eSeaChart just for Active Captain.

Jeff, does eSeaChart update ActiveCaptain files automatically when ever there is an internet connection, or must this be done manually?
Rick R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 11:43   #215
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
Jeff, does eSeaChart update ActiveCaptain files automatically when ever there is an internet connection, or must this be done manually?
In the Settings view of eSeaChart there's a "Sync" button. Whenever you tap that, it synchronizes the iPhone/iPad with our server downloading everything that has changed since the last sync. Sync'ing about once a week takes a minute. When I'm underway, if I have an internet connection, I usually sync it the night before - every day when I'm moving. That takes seconds to do the update.

One thing I didn't mention is that it is a full iPad app too taking full advantage of the larger display space. Purchasing the app once allows you to run it on both your iPhone and iPad for no extra cost - a really nice feature.
Old 30-05-2011, 17:21   #216

Boat: Stevens Custom 40

I just published a description of my experience attaching a GPS to the IPad by wifi. A bit more fun than I expected – but it works! The Marine IPad – Making the GPS Connection – The Peregrine Sea: The Marine IPad - Making the GPS Connection

I still think that the best use for me will be as a repeater for my Pc based Navigation programs, as I describe in The Marine IPad? – The Peregrine Sea: The Marine IPad?

https://blog.peregrinesea.com
PeregrineSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 17:54   #217
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Since those early days when the DigiConnect WiSP was the only solution, I have written more setup guides for a newer generation of easier to configure WiFi multiplexers ..

Connecting to NMEA data over WiFi
Old 30-05-2011, 18:25   #218

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeregrineSea View Post
I just published a description of my experience attaching a GPS to the IPad by wifi. A bit more fun than I expected – but it works! The Marine IPad – Making the GPS Connection – The Peregrine Sea: The Marine IPad - Making the GPS Connection

I still think that the best use for me will be as a repeater for my Pc based Navigation programs, as I describe in The Marine IPad? – The Peregrine Sea: The Marine IPad?
Is there a reason why you needed to connect to the iPad via wifi? If your iPad doesn't have a built in GPS, you can easily add one via BadElf

Bad Elf | Bad Elf GPS for iPod touch, iPhone, & iPad

It is plug and play. I have tried one, and it works, or New Sky Products

Apple Accessories & Products - Pilot AppStation, iPad Kneeboard & Aviation Supplies by New Sky Products Which connects to the iPad via bluetooth.

Both cost about $100.
Rick R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 21:36   #219
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The advantage of using a WiFi connection, is you can bring in all sorts of NMEA data. For example: Depth, Water Speed, AIS targets, etc. You also can repeat NMEA data to an autopilot.
Old 31-05-2011, 04:24   #220

Quote:
I bought eSeaChart... Just for the ActiveCaptain support. Charts look great, but ActiveCaptain POIs display very strangely, to say the least. They only seem to display when THEY feel like it, and disappear constantly. This has nothing to do with the fine ActiveCaptain info, and everything to do with the host program. If they can fix this, it will be a great way to access AC, but it's barely usable as is... IMHO, Chris

For navigation I'll stick with iNavX and Navionics...

Old 11-06-2011, 20:02   #221

Hi all! Anyone used these new Bahamas charts yet? :

"EarthNC Marine Charts App for Bahamas
The EarthNC Marine Charts for iPhone / iPad application for Bahamas.
Core Features include:

Complete Wavey Lines Bahamas raster charts for one annual price ($34.95).
Covers all major island groups from Grand Bahama and Bimini in the Northwest to the Turks and Caicos and northern coast of Hispaniola to the Southeast.
Charts provide depths in meters from recent surveys as well as routes and waypoints for the most common paths between islands. Points of interest such as anchorages, dive sites, marinas, and more are listed.
Explore the chart coverage free online here.
Automatic chart updates every three months.
Seamless mode – no need to download specific charts.
Download option for off-line use.
Create tracks, waypoints – import and export support.
Buy once and use on both iPhone and iPad"

Available in the App store now...

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/baham...1065?mt=8&ls=1

Old 11-06-2011, 20:10   #222
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
They only seem to display when THEY feel like it, and disappear constantly
I somehow missed this posting. I haven't seen this in eSeaChart at all. Definitely write to them. They've been at the Apple Developer's Conference but should be heading back now. I've found the marker display to be quite good.
Old 11-06-2011, 20:12   #223
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
Complete Wavey Lines Bahamas raster charts for one annual price ($34.95).
I'm really not familiar with "Wavey Lines" charts. Never heard them mentioned as quality and reliable charts. Never even heard the name to be honest. I'm surprised that I'd be that far out of it to have missed them completely.

NV - sure. Explorer - the best. But Wavy? Are they well known?
Old 11-06-2011, 20:17   #224

Quote:
NV - sure. Explorer - the best. But Wavy? Are they well known?
same thoughts I had... But they look interesting. Not sure of their family tree as of now...

Old 11-06-2011, 20:20   #225

Boat: Orca 38

Quote:

Actually Jeff, if one wants to utilize "full offline ActiveCaptain support" on eSeaChart, you have to subscribe to ActiveCaptain. You DO get monies from it then, correct? I mean if you want to actually use it that is.

I downloaded eSeaChart on the day it was released based on this thread and curiosity about ActiveCaptain and I must say I'm pretty disappointed.

I'll stick with Navionics thank you.
Someone owes me $7.99

John

Tags
Ipad