Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2010, 03:05   #31

Boat: Bavaria 37
" There's a terrible rumor already dispelled in this thread that the iPad needs 3G service in order to obtain a lat/lon fix. As mentioned above, the iPhone/iPad needs no cellular service for GPS. The iPad has a real GPS chipset and can obtain a fix in the middle of the ocean if needed where there are no cellular towers of any type. The iPad uses cellular towers and known WiFi hotspots to lessen the time-to-first-fix of the GPS by being able to determine the GPS satellites in view. Without that, the GPS hardware will work just fine - it'll just take a minute or more to get that first position fix.".

Hello,
Sorry but the GPS of my iPhone (3G) and my iPad (only with wifi) does not work when not connected either (3G or wifi for the iPhone - wifi for the iPad). I have GPSNavX for sailing and GPSmotionX (for hiking) , and "Plan" and it does not work when my iPhone is on the "plane " mode (= wifi and 3G not connected or "foreign data disconected)). When I am in France no problem, of course because i pay for 3G, but I was in Chicago a month ago (and i do not want to pay a lot of money for connections) and i tried without connection and "Plan" told me I was still at Paris airport !
The same when i was sailing in Greece or Turkey last spring and summer. Even if I download the maps of the concerned area before ....
I suppose that there are no GPS chips in the iPhone and iPad i have...
Just to say I love apple since 25 years and i have iBook, Imac, iPod ...
Looking for some explanations
Jacques2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2010, 03:21   #32
cruiser

Plane mode turns off ALL radios - GSM, WiFi, Bluetooth, and you guessed it, GPS. Most airlines don't want you using a GPS during a flight for a variety of dumb reasons.

Try turning off just the phone and WiFi, or go way offshore where no cellular signal exists. You'll find that the GPS shows your position on the iPhone or iPad without problem.
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2010, 04:01   #33

Thanks for answering, but I just tried again to do what you say , but sorry : on my iPhone, if the SIM card is not active, the GPS doesn't work ("sorry no cellular data"). But, really in the Plane mode,tou can connect the wifi and the GPS works ! That's the way i use it when I am in a foreign country, just to be near a Starbucks or a Mac Do !!! (Plane mode + wifi = no charge, and it works in ... towns ) ... Not when sailing...
Maybe it is because my iPhone is from april 2009 ? But it really looks like it needs a network (3G or wifi) to ger the GPS working. (The same with the iPad = without wifi, the GPS dos not work...
Jacques2
Old 20-11-2010, 04:10   #34

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques2 View Post
(The same with the iPad = without wifi, the GPS dos not work...
Jacques2
I think you should send them both back to Apple. My iPad works just fine without 3G and WiFi. Remember, only 3G iPads have GPS chips. Make sure location services are turned on in preferences. If you look thru the iPad threads on the forum, you will find several people navigating with iPads across vast expanses of Ocean with these devices...

PS; GPS chips don't work well in buildings, metal structures, etc. Outside is best...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2010, 04:20   #35

I agree with you as my iPad is concerned, because as i wrote it before it is an iPad without 3G.
As my iPhone is concerned, i am sorry but I think I know the use of it, I was in Paris Apple Store last week and they confirmed the fact that the model I have does not word without network ... Maybe it is a difference between US and France Apple strategy whith operators ???
Old 20-11-2010, 04:27   #36

Boat: Nonsuch 324, 30', Dulcinea
My Navionics worked fine on ipad and I was not connected in any way except for gps.
Irie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2010, 04:29   #37

Does the iPhone 3G even have GPS? I thought this was an upgrade for 3GS and 4????
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2010, 03:55   #38

Hello..
You'll get a lot of information about crossing the atlantic with an iPad on this link (in english, french, etc...)
Crossing the Atlantic with an iPad – Navigation Mac
Jacques2
Old 23-11-2010, 05:50   #39

Boat: Voyage 38 Catamaran
I recently bought the Navionics Carribean chartplotter for 19 Euros about $28 Can. It is for Android and covers all of the Carribean in good detail. I have Garmin 72 as a primary GPS backup but the Droid phone makes a good backup chartplotter. Using the GPS chews up battery power, but I still get wellover 2 hours. There was one time I could not get reception but my primary system was only showing 4 satelites as well.
Old 28-11-2010, 16:11   #40

I just got my new ipad and loaded both navimatics ( charts and tides) and navionics. Navionics is much better than navimatics . On navionics c&t there is limited color variation with depths. 2. The designation for the bridges looks like cables across the water vs a yellow wide line on navimatics. The details is better on the navimatics. 3. The can and nun symbols are very poor. They are both black with a very very faint red triangle or square on top of it unlike navimatics they are easily seen green and red rods. On c& t there are big chunks of maps which devoid of info and poorly spliced. The depth numbers are rather small on both. The only reason to get the navimatics is for active captain. It is great to read the first hand comments a out the anchorages!!! However it is still not as complete as a regular cruising guide. Someday in the future it mght be . If you are mostly off shore either would work fine but in the icw navionics for sure over the other except ya gotta have the other for active captain. I am really lookin forward for active captain to go world wide!! I do not feel that navionics ipad ap replaces the garmin 3206 at the helm. The graphics need to improve a bit but I can see that happening not too long from now. Thx chris
cvondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 16:29   #41

I find the iphone is not a serious navigation tool. I much prefer the blue charts on the Garmin PDA IQue 3600 which is ancient - but they are complete charts and you can select the amount of detail to display. I find the iphone C&T slow and annoyingly so and you can't set heading up or north up.

But considering it's a phone, does a zillion things, including music email and internet, takes photos it's quite the toy in the palm of your hand.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 16:39   #42

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvondo View Post
On navionics c&t there is limited color variation with depths. 2.
Thanks for the update Chris! I think you meant Navimatics C&T here... Navionics is stand alone or iNavx, I believe...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 19:09   #43
cruiser

Quote:
I am really lookin forward for active captain to go world wide!!
We have a start on the rest of the world. 2011 will be our first concerted effort to expand. We have a person in the UK who will be validating the data there (a big part of the issue) and we have some other validators lined up for the Baltic countries. There are pockets of information that are really well covered today - marinas in the Netherlands, cruising grounds in Croatia, etc. And of course, Canada, the Bahamas, and much of the Caribbean is very well covered.

It'll take time. The model is pretty good and the addition of some new things will make it all even better.

Regarding the iPad - one of the nice things about the apps is that they are all inexpensive. It's quite realistic to have multiple chartplotting apps and use them together to use the best parts of each. Especially with the new iOS 4.2 release for the iPad that supports multitasking/fast switching, it's very quick to switch between two running apps using the GPS. I've been using that a lot.
Old 28-11-2010, 19:29   #44

Thanks Christian , you are correct! I have been sitting here comparing my new explorer chart kit with the navionics ipad app and I have to say that the level of detail of the abacos is better with the navionics ! That is a reallly big surprise. I thought nothing beats the explorer charts . I will test the accuracy this feb. Thx cv
cvondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 19:34   #45
cruiser

Quote:
I have been sitting here comparing my new explorer chart kit with the navionics ipad app and I have to say that the level of detail of the abacos is better with the navionics !
Oh my - that is shocking. I have the latest Navionics and Explorer charts too. We're also a dealer for MaxSea and Jeppesen/C-Map's electronic version of the Explorer charts for the Bahamas (along with the Navionics charts for MaxSea too). I find Navionics Bahamas charts to be much, much lower quality and I just updated my iPad version this last week with the latest version.

When you say, "new explorer chart kit" what do you mean? Where did you get it?

Tags
Ipad