Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-09-2010, 18:17   #16

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Please post a list of your favorite apps!

I'm bumping this thread in hopes that forum members have some additional experience with new apps for the iPad. I believe there is a LOT of potential for the development of useful apps for the boater, and would love to hear of anything new on the horizon. Thanks, Chris

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 19:05   #17
cruiser

I used the free version of WeatherBug for the iPad to monitor Hurricane Earl - I liked it a lot. I think they have a pretty good application that is centered around radar display over a map (animated as an option too) with other forecast information easily accessible.

Old 10-09-2010, 04:51   #18

I used different ipad chart applications and I personally advice the ipad version of Marine GeoGarage which is as efficient as more expensive nav aps that are on the Appstore.

Peter
Old 10-09-2010, 05:41   #19

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Thanks Peter! Here's something I'd love to know; Do any of the current apps out there work with those "cracked" worldwide charts that you sometimes hear cruisers talking about? Just asking...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 09:03   #20

Marine GeoGarage uses chart material coming from different international Hydrographic Services.
Same thing with other iPad apps.

Pete
Old 10-09-2010, 09:38   #21

does anyone know if you can import explorer charts for the Bahamas onto the iPad
stacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 10:24   #22
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacy View Post
does anyone know if you can import explorer charts for the Bahamas onto the iPad
No such thing is described at their website: Welcome to Explorer Chartbooks

I imagine that to do without their permission would violate their copyright. Now, could you? I have no doubt that with a sufficiently detailed scan and the correct software, you could.

Might be interesting to contact them and ask if they're planning such a product. Would certainly be an easier way to take advantage of their updates.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 11:20   #23

Intentional Drifter, thanks for the info. I think i should have phrased the question, "is there a navigational app for the iPad that has the explorer charts for the Bahamas?" Thanks
Old 14-09-2010, 18:20   #24

FYI. I emailed Explorer charts about iPad navigational apps that carried their Bahama charts and a Katie Fear replied that currently there were none available but that i should "stay tuned"
Old 19-11-2010, 04:33   #25

Boat: Nonsuch 324, 30', Dulcinea
UPDATE - I vote for Navionics

I was bringing my boat home to St Croix from St Thomas where it was delivered by Dockwise Yacht Transport. The first time my wife and I were in the boat by ourselves. Halfway to St Croix the GPS conked out because of a power issue. Now losing your GPS between STX and STT is not really a problem because it is a straight shot and in daylight you can see where you are going.
The point is that I did buy the Caribbean Navionics app for my ipad. I love it. It is so easy to use and the charts are beautiful and very detailed. I also bought inavx (either free or very cheap) and I didn't like it nearly as much although I must add/confess I am not very computer literate.
Old 19-11-2010, 05:35   #26

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irie View Post
I was bringing my boat home to St Croix from St Thomas where it was delivered by Dockwise Yacht Transport. The first time my wife and I were in the boat by ourselves. Halfway to St Croix the GPS conked out because of a power issue. Now losing your GPS between STX and STT is not really a problem because it is a straight shot and in daylight you can see where you are going.
The point is that I did buy the Caribbean Navionics app for my ipad. I love it. It is so easy to use and the charts are beautiful and very detailed. I also bought inavx (either free or very cheap) and I didn't like it nearly as much although I must add/confess I am not very computer literate.
I can't find a price for the caribe nav.
Can you point the way?
Old 19-11-2010, 07:36   #27
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irie View Post
I also bought inavx (either free or very cheap) and I didn't like it nearly as much although I must add/confess I am not very computer literate.
iNavX costs $50. I have all of the different navigation products for the iPhone and iPad and I'm working closely with multiple developers who have products out now on putting ActiveCaptain support into their products (Navimatics exists today with support).

I too find iNavX difficult to like while being the most expensive product available. I think it's user-hostile. For $50, I expected it to be a lot better.

There was another forum, which I won't mention, that provides iNavX support. I explained specific reasons why the product had problems - heck, I'm a developer too and I've written commercial chartplotter applications myself - even for phones! To be fair, a few of my suggestions were adopted but the major ones are still glaring holes in usability. The moderator said that I was being unfair and threatened removing me from the site, proving his point by showing the number of 5 star reviews iNavX had received. Today it has 114.

I pointed out that iNavX also had a substantial number of 1 star reviews too which is a very bad sign. Today it has 54 1 star reviews. This is just unacceptable for a $50 app where most others are less than half that price.

Soon after that posting, I was banned from the site.

The truth is sometimes too much to see in print.
Old 19-11-2010, 07:39   #28

Boat: Nonsuch 324, 30', Dulcinea
endoftheroad................
Navionics Marine Caribbean & Central America HD, $34.99
Old 19-11-2010, 17:18   #29

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
Any good videos on youtube?
Old 19-11-2010, 17:42   #30

Boat: Lagoon 450, Jeanneau 479, & Jeanneau 409
I bought iNavX because Navtronics for the iPad wasn't out yet. Then I bought Navtronics. I haven't looked at iNavX since. $50.00 Plus the cost of the Caribbean charts! Live and learn...

Cheers,
Lucky

Tags
Ipad

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: