Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2011, 01:45   #166
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Re: iPad

I've scanned every manual in the giant bag the previous owner left me aboard... That space is now mine again and the bag is in the rolling dockbox
Old 12-03-2011, 06:43   #167
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The decision is AT&T or the V? I already have AT&T with the iPhone... I'm thinking about getting verizon, this way I would have a back-up to AT&T. Most of the time, I'll wiFi from the iPhone anyhow
Old 12-03-2011, 07:13   #168
cruiser

I doubt you'll ever enable the cellular plan on the iPad. I've had mine for nearly a year and haven't turned on the cellular plan once. That said, it's a better idea to get the cellular version even if you never plan to turn it on because only the cellular version has the built-in GPS hardware. And no, you don't need a cellular plan to use the GPS.

I find that I use my iPad all the time on the boat. When there, I use it over WiFi to one of my other connected systems. I just don't find that I carry the iPad off the boat much - that's where the phones are much better suited.

If the iPad had the ability to be a MiFi type of sharing device, I'd definitely be using it and getting rid of my real MiFi. But both Verizon and AT&T took that capability out of the iPad because they'd rather see you add another cellular plan. I'd bet you don't need to if you're using the thing on a boat.
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 09:38   #169
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Jeff... I agree that I would rarely access the cell data on my iPad, and would use the data package from my iPhone instead. There is a hack to make your iPad a hotspot. I already have that on my iPhone. By having the ABILITY to use the iPad's connection through Verizon, it sort of gives me a nice redundancy.

I will use the ipad off the boat quite often.... in fact I'd say 90% of its use would be ashore.
Old 14-03-2011, 16:11   #170

First of all, i'm sold on my ipad for a variety of reasons, two of which are a razor thin movie player, and a high tech chartplotter, with long battery life - perfect for us weekend cruisers. Question - anyone know of a case with rail clamp to use that ipad at the helm? water resistant, while maintaining touchscreen capability, is a must. any thoughts?
Old 14-03-2011, 16:19   #171
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

There are several.... none of which I really like at the moment. I may build myself one if someone doesn't beat me to it! Don't get me wrong, there are good ones, but at $300+ they are too pricey!
Old 14-03-2011, 17:36   #172

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

bertryane,

Not that I am cheap, but a zip lock storage bag works great and allows the power plug to come out of the bag to plug in at the helm.
RAM Tab-Tite will hold an iPad or iPad2 on a ram gimbal mount.

RAM Tab-Tite

Mount - C Arm with 2.5 Inch Round Base and Diamond Adaptor - RAM Mount (U)

RAM POD I WITH 1" SINGLE SOCKET W/ 238

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ram Mount.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	25081  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 18:11   #173

Cotemar - that's perfect, doubles as a movie mount down below. Sold
Old 14-03-2011, 18:32   #174
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Now just to find a good case for an iPad2 for under $100!
Old 16-03-2011, 00:59   #175

I googled just to see the prices of the charts for ipad.
It seems crazy cheap, $29.90 for south pacific etc (and the same for the other wide coverage maps). For PC/Mac it is $199 (and about the same if want it on SD-memory).

Is it still the same as the PC/Mac versions?
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 05:27   #176
Captain

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via MSN to Andy R Send a message via Skype™ to Andy R

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas.mehlin View Post
I googled just to see the prices of the charts for ipad.
It seems crazy cheap, $29.90 for south pacific etc (and the same for the other wide coverage maps). For PC/Mac it is $199 (and about the same if want it on SD-memory).

Is it still the same as the PC/Mac versions?
I know about the charts but I do know that many other applications are cheaper through the app store then buying the full PC/Mac version. It's my understanding this is done because of the security linked to the App Store. They know when they sell the charts on some other formats people will copy and/or lend their install CD to others so the price reflex this "sharing cost".
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 06:09   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
I know about the charts but I do know that many other applications are cheaper through the app store then buying the full PC/Mac version. It's my understanding this is done because of the security linked to the App Store. They know when they sell the charts on some other formats people will copy and/or lend their install CD to others so the price reflex this "sharing cost".
Well...I don't think that is the case about the charts because all Navionics charts are copy protected (memory cards and therefor more or less impossible to copy).

I really wanna know the reason of the different prices.
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 06:15   #178
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas.mehlin View Post
I really wanna know the reason of the different prices.
I'm very curious myself. None of it makes sense. Some end-user prices are less than the royalty fee back to the country - Canada for example.

I worry that the practice is driving all others out of the market. That's a very bad thing eventually. Many countries have laws stopping that type of thing.

There have got to be big changes coming in a variety of ways.
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 17:31   #179

Just a heads up, AT&T just put a $100 price reduction on the first gen iPad over the already $100 apple discount so you can buy the first gen iPad 3G gps 16 gig for $429 (reg $629) while supplies last.

First-gen iPad 3G gets $100 price cut by AT&T | Apple - CNET News
Chipg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 17:55   #180
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast

Those are very good deals. A 3G 64 gig iPad for $529. For the sorts of boat-related uses we would be interested in, I don't see where there would be a significant difference between the 1st and 2nd Generation iPads. I do rather strongly suggest going for the most memory you can afford, though. Charts held in memory can use a lot of space. By the time I loaded music, photos, podcasts, videos, and charts, I was down to only about 15 gigs of free space. While that is still enough for comfort, a 16 gig or 32 gig would have been too little.

While I have enabled the 3G cellular data for land-based travel, on the boat I use a Cradlepoint CTR35 cellular router with a bigger antenna (up the mast) and booster. I've been able to pull in strong cell signals up to 15 miles off shore. The router then feeds all the consumers on the boat (nav PC, iPad, guest's computers) and lets me put out a secured LAN up to 300 feet (for buddy boats, if needed). If there's Wifi available, then it can also use that. For $79, it greatly simplified the network. Tiny, too.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ipad